Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Leading Edge Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Leading Edge Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by skarngeo View Post
    Did you have any problem with the exhaust interfering with the engine mount? Ours doesn't seem to fit (see photo below).... will probably have to have LEE modify the one they sent??
    Attachment 12898
    It took me three attempts to get mine to fit (PA22/20), and even then the clearance from the mount is barely 3/8" (which has proved sufficient in practice).
    The lengths of the tailpipes are barely enough to get the muffler clamps on, so there's almost no 'adjustment' available at that end.
    On the third attempt, I hung it all together with loose cylinder stud nuts and clamps and used ropes and levers to take all the tolerances out of it before tightening everything up. I was working by myself, which didn't help.
    It hasn't been a problem since, but I'd hate to have to take it off and re-install it for any reason.
    I recall I had carbon high monoxide levels in the cabin and had to experiment with the tailpipe length to get the CO down to safe levels.
    At the time, the only thing that stopped me from boxing it up and sending it back for a refund was the prohibitive freight cost--- and that I'd be left with the original.
    Performance wise, it's fine. The shiny polished stainless finish quickly disappears!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skarngeo View Post
    Did you have any problem with the exhaust interfering with the engine mount? Ours doesn't seem to fit (see photo below).... will probably have to have LEE modify the one they sent??
    Attachment 12898
    Welcome to the leading edge club.....My exhaust was exactly as yours is, the rear edge of the overboard pipe about 3/4 the way through the engine mount pipe. The word I got from the STC holder and from the manufacturer was to pull the exhaust pipe forward with a rope and then tighten all the fasteners. All that's going to do is create a bunch of cracks.
    I ended up cutting the stub and redirecting the stub forward so it would clear the engine mount without any strain on any of the parts then tighten the bolts. Not the thing I wanted to do, but did it anyhow.
    Now after all the installation headaches have gone, I really like this exhaust system, it's really well made with thicker tubing and muffler components, gets rid of the 50 & 100hr muffler inspection requirements (not the annual inspection requirement,) and ya sure it's 3 1/2 lbs heaver than the stock system, but also built much better in my opinion.
    I do have a noticable power improvement....no numbers to back that up, just what I notice on the old butt'ometer.

If LEES will adjust the angle of the outlet stubb, I recommend just have them do it and move on.

Here is a pic of mine prior to fixing it....
    IMG_0055.jpg
    Last edited by Pacerfgoe; 01-21-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What changes in performance did you find after installing this exhaust?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    What changes in performance did you find after installing this exhaust?
    No numbers, but my backside said a few knots more in cruise, maybe slightly faster off the ground. Sounds more powerful, though, which is very important!

Post Thanks / Like

I operate a o-360 powered N-reg Pacer in Africa (N3043Z) and had the leading edge exhaust on it for a few years now. Done about 200 hours on it.

Installation was easy. Performance is noticeable.
    However recently the #4 pipe twisted itself out of the muffler, literally it left the clamp on the muffler and slipped out. All the exhaust air was blowing into the cowl and onto the main fuel line.
    Now that pipe is rubbing on the #2 pipe and its almost impossible to force it back to where it should have stayed.

Anybody with any suggestions?

Dane Wagner Sr from leading edge who was always quick with a reply unfortunately died. - I can't get hold of Wayne Law the STC holder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
    I operate a o-360 powered N-reg Pacer in Africa (N3043Z) and had the leading edge exhaust on it for a few years now. Done about 200 hours on it.

Installation was easy. Performance is noticeable.
    However recently the #4 pipe twisted itself out of the muffler, literally it left the clamp on the muffler and slipped out. All the exhaust air was blowing into the cowl and onto the main fuel line.
    Now that pipe is rubbing on the #2 pipe and its almost impossible to force it back to where it should have stayed.

Anybody with any suggestions?

Dane Wagner Sr from leading edge who was always quick with a reply unfortunately died. - I can't get hold of Wayne Law the STC holder.
    You might have to loosen all the clamps for the individual pipes to allow some movement to get #4 back in position.
    Sorry to hear about Dane,... RIP

Post Thanks / Like

With all the problems mentioned here, I am pleased I decided on the Sutton exhaust. Don't really care for the pipe sticking out of the bottom of the cowl, but at least it fits!

Post Thanks / Like

Dane was trying to sell his business....wonder if it was sold or if it’s in estate limbo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    With all the problems mentioned here, I am pleased I decided on the Sutton exhaust. Don't really care for the pipe sticking out of the bottom of the cowl, but at least it fits!
    Yes, and it sounds more powerful....too. Plus it's light.
    Last edited by Stephen; 01-26-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

My Sutton exhaust opened up the engine compartment making the rear of the accessory case and mags easy to get to. Less firewall heat and as Stephan said less weight.
    Gilbert simpler is better Pierce