Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O320 upgrade conversion on COLT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Colt engine upgrade STC

I'm going to piggy-back onto Zac's thread here, hope he doesn't mind.

I'm looking at doing this conversion as well, swapping out the Colt's O-235 for an O-290D2. Before taking the plunge I'm trying to get all the information lined up so I know what I'm getting into. So here are a few questions if anyone knows the answers!

I have both the Stewart Systems oil cooler STC and a Casper Labs spin-on oil filter adapter on the O-235 and I'd like to move them over to the new engine. Attempting to find out if that is possible. (just got an email from Casper Labs that says yes, no problem to use the same adapter) The engine is coming out of a Tri-Pacer that has an oil cooler, does a Tri-Pacer installation have cooler lines that attach directly to the accessory case, or do they use the Lycoming adapter plate that goes on between the accessory case and the oil filter screen? In order to not have to buy new oil cooler lines I'd like to use my existing accessory case, but I think I read somewhere that they are different?

I'd also need a new spinner assembly since the short one on the Colt won't fit the new prop. Anyone have one that would work?

Baffles are the same, exhaust is the same, mount is the same, new engine has Slick mags, perhaps the same ones I currently have so that shouldn't be an issue - would these engines use the same Slick mags? I have a new ring gear on my flywheel, I'm thinking that is the same part as used on a 290 so that can be swapped over. The wet vacuum pump should swap over (thinking out loud here)...

What else? I'm probably not thinking about something, what am I missing?

Kurt
    63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Spinner depends on which prop you have, good luck on finding the long spinner in good shape used, I am always looking for them too. Prop bolts if the thicker prop. Oil cooler lines do attach to the accessory case so you may have small issues there. Probably need a 45 and 90 degree elbow for the lines. New engine mount bushings. Time to fix any other little things while it is apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt
    in regards to your accessory case: My Tripacer has an accessory case with fittings for the cooler lines. Dan Frasier's Pacer has the goofy adapter. when we tried to install a spin on oil filter we found that we couldn't use a vernatherm.
    both are 0-290-d2's.
    I didn't like the steel oil cooler lines on my Tripacer so i made up some hoses c/w fire sleeve( the red stuff) cost me about 100 bucks.

shane

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. The spinner thing may or may not be an issue, I don't know yet. I would rather keep the short Colt spinner to maintain the look and there is a local Pacer that has the D2 engine that has the short one on it. The prop looks just like the one on the Colt yet I'm sure it has more pitch. It has the rounded tips, skinny blades, and for a bit I thought someone had put an O-235 on it. But the owner assures me it's 135hp. I wonder what part number Sensenich it is?

Kurt
    63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    ..... New engine mount bushings......
    On the subject of mount rubbers, I need to replace them on a modified Colt which is running an O-320. The mounts used on 150's and 160's should do the trick. However, the relevant illustration in the PA-22 IPC, Fig 56, doesn't list the mounts - they are shown in Fig 56A which is for the O-235 engined 108. Does anyone know if these are the same for the larger engines? If not, does anyone have the part number for the required mount rubbers? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phil0185 View Post
    On the subject of mount rubbers, I need to replace them on a modified Colt which is running an O-320. The mounts used on 150's and 160's should do the trick. However, the relevant illustration in the PA-22 IPC, Fig 56, doesn't list the mounts - they are shown in Fig 56A which is for the O-235 engined 108. Does anyone know if these are the same for the larger engines? If not, does anyone have the part number for the required mount rubbers? Thanks!
    They are the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking at purchasing a colt, and I am wondering what the useful load will be affected by converting to a 150 hp engine. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are going to gain between 20-30 lbs between the additional weight of the engine, the prop and the addition of the oil cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    You are going to gain between 20-30 lbs between the additional weight of the engine, the prop and the addition of the oil cooler.
    I'm going to be doing the O-320 upgrade on my 16, from a O-235, is the O320 case the same dimensions as the O235 and just guts and cylinders different size? What is different and what is same? Prop also, believe mine is 76 inch or 74, can't remember, why is the prop heavier on the O320, I imagine bigger length and maybe bigger hub. The oil cooler can't weigh more than a pound or two, I will go with the rear mounted oil cooler.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, thank you for your response, how about the useful load, can you carry more weight?