Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Nav lights / strobe nav lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED Nav lights / strobe nav lights

Bender,

In Gilbert's email to AOPA, the respondent says
    Quote "
    Under FAR 91.209 only aircraft position lights are required. Strobes are not required. FAA
    Chief Legal Counsel has issued opinions stating strobe (anticollision) OR position lights. OR
    is giving you the option. Since your aircraft is not equipped with strobes, installation is not
    necessary."

So with that statement I am going to install the 30W kit and go with that and use the CAR-3 argument and the FAR stated above if anyone challenges it.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Bender,

When I recover my fuselage I will probably add an AVEO Red Baron to the rudder, but for now I am going with the 30W kit. I don't plan on flying that much at night, but if it is getting dusky and I haven't landed yet, then I'm not going to worry about it too much and keep on trucking.

Tony
    Last edited by kloudking1; 02-07-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is from 2010 but I think this quote answers the question, at least about the ol' 4509.

http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/A..._203196-1.html

Here is a quote:
    Here's where I'm going with this. For Aviation Consumer, I've been doing some extensive research on LED lighting, specifically landing lights. This is, by the way, fabulous technology. It's improving in leaps and bounds, it's getting ever cheaper and is becoming a significant market force in the general lighting market. Yet the FAA has done its level best to keep these benefits from trickling down to aviation.

Here's how: All of the manufacturers of these products have approached the FAA for some kind of approval, even though it's not clear that any is needed. The FARs are vague on the subject, requiring only that bulbs have enough light for night operations and not present a fire hazard. That's it. The venerable GE 4509 bulb—the gold standard for landing lights—carries no TSO or PMA of any kind. It's just a bulb.

If someone can point me to a PMA for our nav light bulbs please do. I can't find one on the FAA website: http://rgl.faa.gov/

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 02-08-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Formatting
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kloudking1 View Post
    Stephen,
    I would have to add some inspection holes to run the new wires. I have one wire for power and another wire to the spar for ground. Wires aren't shielded either. Are you going to have separate switches for nav/strobe lights? I could use my existing wires and just run both off my nav light switch, but I was under the impression it should be separate circuits.

I am currently installing Aveo LED Nav/Strobes... and on one wing thus far, was successful in threading a protective sleeve down the wing with the fuel tank cover removed and opening up an existing inspection hole at the wing-strut attach point. Took a lot of patience and many attempts... but got it through. Now to thread the wire and attack the other wing.

In regard to the switch... I will be wiring separate switch in accordance with AC43-13-2B paragraph:
    406. ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION. Install an individual switch for the anticollision light or supplementary light system that is independent of the position light system switch. Data for the installation of wiring, protection device, and generator/alternator limitations is contained in Advisory Circular (AC) 43.13-1B Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices-Aircraft Inspection and Repair, (as amended) chapter 11. Assure that the terminal voltage at each light is within the limits as prescribed by the manufacturer.

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting. My Clipper has nav lights and no anticollision or strobe, I thought I was not legal to fly at night, but looks like I am legal. I sure don't want to add anything that's not necessary or attractive.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to install a nav/strobe in the rudder of my PA22/20 during rebuild. Since this thread is over 3 years old I thought there might be more up to date info available. Are there LED choices other than AeroLED Suntail or Aveo Posistrobe CP that don't require reworking the access hole in the rudder to fit certified PA22's? Pros & cons? Is shielding necessary to prevent avionics noise since only a 12 volt low amperage power is used?

Post Thanks / Like

Have installed a number of variations down here and I keep going back to AeroLED. NSP's in the wings for non certified but they have certified as well.
    Use the Suntail in the rudder plus the NSP's. From others that fly with me, they have commented that the wing tip strobe/position is so strong the rudder is not needed.
    Yes they aren't cheap but heck they do perform - IMHO better than the others by a good margin and worth the investment.
    Installation is easy and they are self powered. Just need to use shielded cable and ground the shielding and the rest is good.
    You won't be disappointed.
    Cheers
    HunterJ
    Last edited by HunterJ; 03-13-2018 at 04:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I haven't found another or better choice than the Suntail. I use shielded wire to eliminate any noise issues that might come up.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed AeroLeads and used shielded wire as they recommend.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care what anyone says, my plane had light bulbs tagged made in china and made in Taiwan. I us the LED bulbs that the experimental guys use They have almost no draw on my generator and are bright as hell. I did have to keep the old bulb in my rotating beacon. It needs the resistance to work. a mechanic told me they buy the bulbs from the local car parts because those are the bulbs that came in these old planes from the factory originally. I love mine and it make life easier on my generator, and I like flying at night.