Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: PA-22 Orignal Fuel Cap?

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22 Orignal Fuel Cap?

Hello all, now I've lost one of my original style Tri-Pacer/Colt fuel caps. Does anyone know of a source to get a replacement
    Piper cap? I guess maybe a salvage yard might have one, but haven't called one yet. Any ideas welcomed.....thanks much.

Kelliots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 Orignal Fuel Cap?

WagAero has an inexpensive Piper style cap(that work fine) - not PMA- however I do not know how a person could ever determine traceability of the actual orginal cap - I don't think the orginal caps had any permenant markings- so has owner operator - you make the call - otherwise F Atlee Dodge and others have non orginal style but FAA approved caps.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at a Wag Aero cap, but it isn't as heavy as the original and like you note isn't PMA. I'll check F Atlee Dodge. I would think a salvage yard might have one, but probably expensive. Thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Could some one post some pics of the actual "ORGINAL" FUEL CAP - I have had a '53, '54, and '56 Pacer - all the caps were different - My '53 has a smaller diameter cap(Just like the WagAero) and the '56's were larger and even chrome - so I don't think they were orginal - so I am not sure if the factory used different caps thru the years. Do any of the orginal caps have a P/N right on the cap? Any info would be interesting - Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone here used the Wag Aero caps?

Post Thanks / Like

I have and they work well but they are shorter and difficult to grip due to their size.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the original caps vented? The Wag Aero Caps are vented and look just like the originals.

Post Thanks / Like

my tripacer does not have any vent or over flow lines that I can see, My caps are vented style. They do leak a little fuel out if I top off the tanks top the top of inner rim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The caps are vented, no vents in the tanks.

Post Thanks / Like

My caps are hard to grab as well, I tack welded tabs to them. about 1/2 tall sticking straight up when the caps are locked into there closed position. Makes life much easier, another trick is just put a thin layer of gas proof grease on your gaskets