Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Field Takeoffs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Short Field Takeoffs

Have been playing with this (in a PA-22) to develop a better technique. So far, I've been finding it trickey to smoothly transition from flaps to no-flaps once airborne. Retracting the flaps, even incrementally, seems to result in a significant loss of altitude due to the low airspeed, but conversly the flaps add so much drag it's hard to develop the airspeed necessary to smooth this out.

How are you short-field guys doing this?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Short Field Takeoffs

My Pacer is light with a 53 pitch so may not be typical - I takeoff with half flaps - initial climb at 55 leaving flaps down to 70 mph and retract flaps at 300 to 500 ft and transition to 85 mph. My Pacer will climb well at 70 with flaps as high as you want - no rush to clean up.

Post Thanks / Like

Message deleted.
    Last edited by alaskaoe; 02-19-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am 1030 lbs Empty wt with the back seat out - 150HP 74-53 prop and I find half flaps best- (I half a different flap pawl 25 and 50 degrees unofficially)

Post Thanks / Like

Also 3 " dihedryl and 1 degree washout (unofficially as well) std tips

Post Thanks / Like

53" ... that must spin pretty good! I have a 58", plus my field elevation is almost 5K' (low for here!), so acceleration is not exactly pulse-quickening. I'm using the book method -- pulling two notches at speed, then rotating.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

If you are currently using a full-flap deflection at speed, the aircraft will leap off the ground, but will not climb very quickly. The point of this technique is to get off the ground and avoid the low obsticle (river, bush, rough terrain, STOL competition line). This technique is not for the standard "50 ft obstruction". It works well, but please leave plenty of room for slowly....gaining airspeed. If you don't have room to gain airspeed with full-flaps, then a "first notch" or half flap departure is recommended. These little aircraft love first notch departures and will climb great in that configuration, but they will eat slightly more runway for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer 24C View Post
    My Pacer is light with a 53 pitch so may not be typical - I takeoff with half flaps - initial climb at 55 leaving flaps down to 70 mph and retract flaps at 300 to 500 ft and transition to 85 mph. My Pacer will climb well at 70 with flaps as high as you want - no rush to clean up.
    similar performance with mine and have 60" pitch. My airspeed may be inaccurate at low end but it stalls clean about 49 idle power but with power approx 1700 rpm and half flaps, holds level at 40 indicated. On a half flap take off it wants to fly at 42 indicated. leave flaps out and accel to 70 or so, not a problem
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

My PA-22/150 will get off the ground quickly by deploying full flaps around 50 mph but at that point almost refuses to accelerate beyond about 65. It is hard pressed to get to VY. In fact I have never gotten it to VY with full flaps on take off. However if I just use half flaps then it only gives up about 100 ft of runway or less and will easily accelerate to 80 and climbs quite well in a fairly flat attitude if I have the trim set right.
    At idle throtle the craft stalls right at 48 to 50 indicated with full flaps just like the book says, with some throtle it can hang around at about 45 or 46 pretty much like others describe, but dont expect to fly away without lowering the nose.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really work on my short field departures until this past year. When I need to get off the ground absolutely as quick as possible, but without a short-field obstacle, I roll with one notch of flaps and pull on the second notch at 50 mph, hard rotation to get it off the ground, immediately push nose over, and bleed off the second notch slowly. I don't take my hand off the flap handle until I am back to one notch of flaps when I do this, and I am probably at full flaps for less than two seconds, maybe three. I then wait to see 70 mph before I start bleeding off the first notch.

As others have said, it won't get you over the 50' trees very well, but it will get you in the air sooner if you have a short strip with flat land around it.

Try lots of things, see what works best.