Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O320 wrist pins...

Post Thanks / Like

Default O320 wrist pins...

Started on the engine yesterday to determine what parts are needed to make me happy with the rebuild. Engine had one .010" over superior chrome cylinder. The cylinder base nuts were not safety wired. Pulled the jug and discovered a part that would have caused vibration. The superior wrist pin weighs in at 398 grams, the lycoming pin weighs 234.5 grams. That's a weight difference of 5.27 ounces... Now I'm considering a complete tear down to examine the engine bearings and check the rotating assembly for cracks using the die penetrant method. The remainder of the engine is as expected. Rust corrosion at on the top side of the cylinders....engine only ran few months during the summer every year since the early 60's. Cam looks good...but haven't giving a good inspection yet. Oil pump is also in good shape.
    Now have three ten over lycoming jugs and one superior jug that'll be taking up space...if anyone is interested?
    Mark M.
    Platinum Ak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by mmoyle; 07-18-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O320 wrist pins...

Hi Mark

looks like you got a heavy wall and a light wall piston pin. NOT GOOD. IMHO; take it down and have the steel parts Magnafluxed( magnetic particle).Liquid Penetrant ( Zyglo)for the aluminum parts .it's gonna cost more but you in the end will know what you have. Follow lycoming service bulletin 240W:

2*Oliver*Street
    Wiliamsport, PA*17701 U.S.A.
    Tel.* 570*323*6181
    Fax.*570*327*7101 www.lycoming.com
    DATE:* February 23, 2012* Service Buletin No. 240W*
    (Supersedes Service Buletin No. 240V)*
    Engineering*Aspects are*
    FAA Approved*
    SUBJECT:* Mandatory Parts Replacement at*Overhaul and*During*Repair or Maintenance
    MODELS*AFFECTED:* Al Lycoming*reciprocating*aircraft engines
    TIME OF COMPLIANCE:* As specified*below*
    NOTE
    Incomplete*review of al the information in*this document can cause errors. Read*the*entire*
    Service Buletin to*make*sure*you*have*a*complete*understanding*of the*requirements. AT OVERHAUL OR*UPON*REMOVAL:
    Any time*the*fol owing*parts are*removed*from any Lycoming*reciprocating*engine, it is mandatory that*
    the*fol owing*parts be*replaced*regardless of their apparent condition:
    · Al circlips, lockplates, retaining*rings and*laminated*shims · Al counterweight washers · Al lockwashers and*locknuts · Al main*and*connecting*rod bearings (may also be referred*to as “bearing*inserts”) · Al V*band*coupling*gaskets · Stressed*bolts and*fasteners, such as: · Stationary drive*gear*bolts (reduction gear) · Camshaft gear ataching*bolts · Connecting*rod*bolts and*nuts · Crankshaft flange*bolts · Crankshaft gear bolt
    AT OVERHAUL:
    During* overhaul of any Lycoming reciprocating engine, it is mandatory that the* fol owing parts be*
    replaced*regardless of their apparent condition:
    · Al engine*hoses · Al engine*hose*assemblies · Al oil seals · Al cylinder*base*seals · Al gaskets · Piston rings · Piston pins (thin wal )*
    · Piston pin plugs · Propel er*governor oil line*elbow*(aluminum)***
    MANDATORY*
    SERVICE BULLETINISSUED REVISED PAGE NO. REVISION
    MO DAY YEAR* MO DAY YEAR* S.B. 240* 2*of 2* W 03* 14* 58* 02* 23* 12
    · Propel er*shaft sleeve*rings · Propel er*shaft rol ers (reduction gear pinion cage) · Propel er*shaft thrust bearings (al geared*drive*engines) · Supercharger*bearing*oil seal (mechanicaly supercharged*series) · Al exhaust valves (replace with current exhaust valves) · Al intake*and*exhaust valve*guides · Al exhaust valve*retaining*rings · Rocker arms and*fulcrums (O*320*H, O, LO, TO, LTO*360*E Series) · Aluminum push rod assemblies l (O*235*Series) · Cylinder*fin stabilizers · Magneto*drive*cushions · Magneto*isolation drive*bearings · Thermostatic*bypass valves · Damaged*ignition cables · Crankshaft sludge*tubes · Counterweight bushings in* crankshaft and* in* counterweights (See* latest revision of Service
    Instructions No. 1142 and*1143*for instructions.) · Accessory drive*coupling*springs (supercharged*and*VO*540*engines) · AC diaphragm fuel pumps · Fuel pump*plunger*for diaphragm fuel pumps · Oil pump*bodies (two*piece) · Oil pump*gears ****(Refer*to the*latest revision of Service Bul etin*No. 524*for replacement gear
    service*kit, if necessary, and*Service*Instruction No. 1164 for individual impeler*part numbers.) · Al V*band*couplings and*gaskets · Rol er*tappet*assemblies n
    · Hydraulic*tappet*plunger*assembliest
    Requirements for replacement of parts for accessories such as magnetos, carburetors, fuel injectors, AN*
    fuel pumps, and*turbochargers*are*described*in the*applicable*manufacturer’s manual.
    ** Heavy*wal piston pins P/N*LW*14078* may be*reused; al other*may not be*reused. See* the* latest*
    revision of Service*Instruction No. 1340*and*No. 1267*for replacement data.
    *** P/N*MS20822*6D*aluminum propel er*governor oil line*elbow*must be*replaced*with P/N*MS20822*6*
    steel elbow*at overhaul. It is not necessary to*replace*a*steel elbow. See*the*latest revision of Service
    Instruction No. 1435*and*Service Buletin No. 488.
    **** Nitrided/carburized steel oil pump*impeler*gears can*be*examined*during*overhaul and*can be re*used*
    if they pass inspection as per*the*latest revision of Lycoming*Direct Drive*Overhaul Manual 60294*7*
    and*Table*of Limits SSP*1776.
    n Rol er*tappet assemblies must be*replaced*at overhaul and*after*a*propel er*strike. See*latest revision*of
    Service Instruction Nos. 1011*and*1514*for instructions. t Refer*to the*latest*revision of Service Instruction No. 1011. l Refer*to the*latest*revision of Service Instruction No. 1480. Carry out the*dimensional inspections in accordance*with measurements and*tolerances as listed*in “Table*
    of Limits”*(SSP*1776) for al parts approved*for use.

a P10 chrome cylinder? ...... Also the only time I've seen base nuts lockwired recently is on a radial.

Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

oops: that didn't work so well

http://www.lycoming.com/Portals/0/te...aintenance.pdf

sorry about that

shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks....planned on replacing all the bolts under stress. Will be looking for a source for the longer studs and install the cylinder base plates. Mags will will go to aircraft magneto service in Seattle.....unless there is a better option.
    Mark M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    The cylinder base nuts were not safety wired.
    They don't get safety wired. Have seen some really old engines (50 years or more) that were.

Post Thanks / Like

seems like the internal wrenching cyl hold down nuts on the early lyc had holes for saftey wire but I have never seen on safetied.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    They don't get safety wired. Have seen some really old engines (50 years or more) that were.
    Goes to show how many of these things I've been around....not many. A Pacer driver friend in Anchorage bought a Citabrea last winter. Flew it to a pond (frozen) near his place. Took the wings off and pulled it home with an ATV. Now rebuilding it in his garage... It has safety wire on the cylinder base nuts. What is the spec on the stud/nut? Dry, drop of 10 wt on the threads, anti-seize?
    Mark M.

Post Thanks / Like

The longer studs for the cylinder hold down plates and the long case bolts can get quite pricey.
    i picked up a set of the small studs from El Reno just before they closed for about $5 each. And the short larger studs for about $6. The long case studs took quite a while to find at a reasonable price. Normally they go for around $80 each. ( dont quote me, I would need to check my part numbers and price check).
    However, I did find a stash of NOS Lycoming still sealed in factory pack for $20 on ebay. YMWV!!

i have a post here listing the part numbers for my change over.

51-pa22

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 51-pa22 View Post
    The longer studs for the cylinder hold down plates and the long case bolts can get quite pricey.
    i picked up a set of the small studs from El Reno just before they closed for about $5 each. And the short larger studs for about $6. The long case studs took quite a while to find at a reasonable price. Normally they go for around $80 each. ( dont quote me, I would need to check my part numbers and price check).
    However, I did find a stash of NOS Lycoming still sealed in factory pack for $20 on ebay. YMWV!!

i have a post here listing the part numbers for my change over.

51-pa22

Did a search for your list...what is the topic? I did see Steve's post regarding the two piece oil pump being legal to reinstall if it measured within limits.....I need to find those specs. I do surf eBay for parts. Picked up a rebuilt accessory case for under a hundred bucks. I've seen the cylinder base plates on eBay....but hadn't decided yet which piston to use...low or high. I'm going with the 8:5-1's with a bit of tweaking.
    Mark M.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I found my notes
    see post topic lycoming question
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...oming-Question

Down deep in the post are a couple of images from a parts book withe the numbers highlighted! Say around post 29. Dang that surprised me. On the price.

PS
    Mmoyle

dont forget the PID / SB 505 on the crank. i.e. AD 98-02-08
    Last edited by 51-pa22; 07-19-2014 at 02:12 PM.