Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone have a snapshot on how to access the aileron/rudder interconnect springs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anyone have a snapshot on how to access the aileron/rudder interconnect spri

I looked at Sam Hale's at OSH last year on Shorty, N53PA. He extended his all the way to the tailwheel. Really nice!
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anyone have a snapshot on how to access the aileron/rudder interconnect spri

When I bought 001 there was just fabric with two wing access holes in it, presumably to take care of the springs and rigging.When I replaced the interior the new aft panel is velcro'd in place. So with no panels on the bottom of the tail all work gets done by crawling back through the baggage area.(of course after putting the tail on a stand) I'm not sure how the previous owner took care of the tail area.
    Last edited by Throttle Pusher; 07-21-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can hear it now....wait that my sailor potty mouth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly what I want to do! Did you put any seal material on the front lip to keep debris from coming in?
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pa20 View Post
    That is exactly what I want to do! Did you put any seal material on the front lip to keep debris from coming in?
    Doing the same on my rebuild. Added a former strip between the lower longerons and three drain holes. The aluminum cover is cut 1/8" short of the flying wire bracket/front tail spring mount....to allow drainage. Changed out that bracket with 1/8" 4130. I installed double the tabs for mounting the aluminum panel..... Which means more things sticking out to catch clothing on when working inside that space. Right now all of my new aluminum panels and boot cowl do not have the edges with the break/bend near the edges...will wait to do those bends when the fabric and paint is done...
    Mark M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pa20 View Post
    Notice the row of rivets along the leading edge of the cover, picture 1.
    This holds a joggled piece of aluminum that slides over a flat piece of steel that bridges the lower longerons at the front of the cover. This joggle slides up over the steel intercoastal to hold the front of the cover secure. Picture 2.

There are 3 drain holes in the fabric in front of this flat piece of steel as the fabric is wrapped around it.
    It has High Denisty Polyethelyene tape over the fabric where the joggle slides up on it.

The uncovered picture, #3, shows this intercoastal across the leading edge of the opening. It is just below a tube that also crosses there and runs between the two hand holds.

Cover (1280x960).jpgLeading edge of opening (1280x960).jpgLeading edge of opening.jpg
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 07-22-2014 at 04:30 PM.