Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door Frame Weatherstripping

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Door Frame Weatherstripping

The original weather stripping was formed to a metal strip that was pinched between the door skin and the square channel. I have not found it anywhere. I use flat rubber weatherstripping adhered to the door frame skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default door assembly

Hi all

putting the doors back together and I noticed that there was some sort of seal where the door skin touches the door frame. my thinking is that this seals the door and stops the door skin rattling against the frame...
    what are you folks using in this area?
    shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: door assembly

"Old School" Friction Tape

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Am I To Do With This

Now that the kids are grown and my wife's cancer scare is muted, I am finally getting back to the Pacer. In getting the doors cleaned up to be painted to be installed I found some .015 aluminum stuck on the door frame with a rubber substance on the side that faces the skin. I can't find this in any parts manual or the drawing CD. The '015 metal was installed with what seems to be double sided grey foam tape. It does have a 90 degree bend of around 1/4 inch on the outside of the frame. Did this have something to do with the door seal? The door seal was not installed when I purchased the aircraft many years ago. It was only installed around the lower portion of the door. IMG_0342[1].jpgIMG_0344[1].jpgIMG_0343[1].jpgIMG_0340[1].jpgIMG_0341[1].jpg Here is my project in work.IMG_0006[1].jpgIMG_0347[1].jpgIMG_0338[1].jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What Am I To Do With This

I wonder if that was an attempt to install the panel and also provide some sort of soundproofing.
    Having foam tape sandwiched in between metal panels is an invitation for corrosion down the line, so if I was doing your project I'd get rid of of all.
    Someone who has more experience with this will contribute soon.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What Am I To Do With This

It looks like it is just the lower portion of the door frame below the widows. Since there was no seal installed, I wonder if it is an attempt to keep vibration of the skin and the frame to a minimum. This aircraft had so many poor maintenance issues it is amazing it safely flew in the sky. There was also no fiberglass insulation in the doors either. I can see where the skin was corroded some where the insulation was. Maybe it was to seal out moisture. Unless someone can tell me differently, I will not install in again and will install the actual door seal from the print.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mike, I merged your thread with another on the subject. Glad you are able to get back to the project.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the merging of the discussion. Steve uses flat rubber strips glued to the frame, I am thinking that a layer of PRC 890 B2 would work as well and it is not corrosive. It is used as a fuel tank sealer on most wet wing aircraft. It dries and adheres to steel and aluminum, but stays pliable. Once it dries it will leave a layer that should keep the water out, vibration down, and if you attach the skin after it dries it won't stick to the skin. I will let you know how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The doors don't fit the greatest so the rubber, self adhesive weather stripping at the local hardware store has worked great for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the light gray low density foam kind it fills the big voids and doesn't require slamming the doors. It's not all that robust so it requires replacing once a year or so.

Rocket