Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceconite repair

Post Thanks / Like

Question Ceconite repair

My Dad recently scraped a wingtip on my clipper during some ground handling, it is really just a small bit of hangar rash on the left wing tip. Unfortunately it tore a very small hole in the fabric about 4" long by 1/4" wide. I have read the ceconite repair manual and think I have an ideas as to how to repair it, but never having done it I wanted to run my plan by you guys here and see if it sounds legit...

here goes:

i plan to mask off a small section around the tear on the wing tip bow with some duct tape.
    Next, I plan to use MEK to remove everything there.
    Then, I plan on fitting a small piece of the smallest ceconite 102 bias tape I can get and paste it down by wetting it with super seam.
    Finally, I will paint it with nitrate dope (I am not sure which one. I know I should use non tautening, but not sure if I should use clear or tinted, high solids or regular.) Once a couple coats of nitrate dry I can apply silver butyrate then butyrate paint.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Bruinpilot; 01-05-2015 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ceconite repair

This is a simple job but you might want to find someone with experience to help. Use masking tape not duct tape. Duct tap will mess up your existing finish and melt with the finishes. Sand and clean area where you will glue the fabric patch skip the MEK. Shape the patch tape to conform to the bow with iron at 250 bias tape is not needed. Glue the patch to the bow and let dry. Use iron at 250 to smooth out and seal down patch. Apply UV block and fill. Sand and reapply as needed. Paint. I would use Stewart system or whatever is on the wing now.
    Last edited by Stephen; 01-05-2015 at 02:32 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

You should also consider sewing the torn edges closer together, it'll help hold the parts flatter for your patching.

Post Thanks / Like

If your current finish color is dope - you are in good shape - I personally would not mask anything - but blend the color coat in and rub it out after thoroughly dry.(after sanding silver and using an airbrush or other small spray gun for the color - I have even used those small aerosol attachments with the little glass bottle)

Post Thanks / Like

You are pretty close as to the fix. I do assume that it is Dope and not Poly- Fiber stuff. If DOPE remove existing dope to the existing clear dope with either MEK or dope thinner. Do not use masking tape just feather in the edges. Apply a 2" wide finishing tape for a 1/4" tear with nitrate non tautening without pigment. Spray apply a few coats of clear then apply the silver and sand to smooth stuff out then one more coat of silver. Now apply the 2-3 coats of color and blend in the edges as best you can. Make the last coat thin and it will blend in better. Another trick is to spray through a piece of cardboard with a hole in it. Rub out later.
    I assume this is on the wingtip bow not on the open fabric??? If so a little esier to fix.
    AC 43-13-2B also tells how to fix fabric. You can look at it on line.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...2043.13-2B.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, thanks for all the good info. It is on the bow and it is doped ceconite not poly fiber. I will be ordering up my supplies from aircraft spruce this weekend. I wish I could buy a foot of that tape instead of a giant roll of it. I guess I may use it someday if I recover the plane... I think this will be a fun little project.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I live at Covey Trails Airport South of Katy probably 40-50 miles from you.I will send you some tape or you can fly down here. I have all the stuff to fix it..
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim! I don't need much of an excuse to come fly to a new airport, and now I have one! I will PM you my phone number and perhaps I could fly over sometime. It will save me buying a 50 yard roll of tape and I'll get to meet a short winger too!

Post Thanks / Like

Love this site...so much great info! I recently picked-up a 1957 Tripacer that needs several, bare ceconite spots repaired. Ceconite/dope verified via log entries. How would you recommend proceeding? Dope thinner, then non-tautening nitrate, then silver butyrate, then finish color butyrate? On this gearleg, maybe I should just recover it? And if so, do you recommend going with ceconite? Or newer fabric system?
    So many questions - so little time! Thanks!

48D gearleg fabric.JPG
    Last edited by bubben24@windstream.net; 09-14-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add pic

Post Thanks / Like

Recover it would be my first choice. If you want to stick to repair, use Steward system. First clean up existing fabric with solvents and soap and water, then lightly sand painted areas. Brush on multiple costs of Stewart's Ekofill. Sand for smooth finish. Spray Ekofill, then paint with any paint (with flexers) you choose to match.
    Last edited by Stephen; 09-14-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."