PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade (?) From PA20

scotthayd
05-31-2015, 03:29 PM
I have a very original little PA20-135 that has a real soft spot in my heart. I learned to fly in it, have been around Alaska in it, down to the states and back.

It is a sweet flyer, economical, fun... But not very fast (climb prop) and not a 4 person plane if you want to carry anything more than a sack lunch.

So I'm looking for a new airplane.

I want to be able to go places with my family and and have room for camping gear. It doesn't necessarily have to operate out of short strips with 4 people and gear, but that would be a big plus. I live in Alaska and want to be able to go hunting in it. Also the pacer doesn't do great crossing the Alaska range with a load, so that would be a plus. I would like to be able to make it to my home town of Lake Minchumina and back a couple of times a year without having to worry if I can make it up to 9000 ft with a load.

I have considered a PA22/20 for the bigger baggage area and engine. (With Alaska mods). No short strips with big loads, but with a climb prop not a bad performer.

I have also considered a Stinson (do they really stall at 65 mph?)or aeronica sedan - either one with an engine upgrade.

But on paper what looks most appealing to me is a maule, maybe on floats. It sounds like it out performs a 180 at a lower cost, would haul my family, and is a short field performer.

Any comments or experience with the above models (or others) would be appreciated.

Pacer 24C
05-31-2015, 08:09 PM
For any substantial difference in performance - You would need a Maule with a 235 or a Cessna 180. The Maule could be had for alittle less money and have the advantage of a Lycoming engine.

mmoyle
05-31-2015, 10:55 PM
I'd go for the basic version of the M7 with the O-360 and a constant speed prop. 1050 pounds useful. 15k ceiling. Being in Alaska...greater air density during the winter months...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alaskadrifter
06-01-2015, 03:14 AM
Why not upgrade engines?

scotthayd
06-01-2015, 05:27 AM
The 1950 pacer I have has a much smaller baggage area than the later models. Unless carrying people I always run out of room before maxing out weight. No baggage upgrade available.

mmoyle
06-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Since in Alaska.... We can carry external loads.... Sure would like to come up with a belly pod.....

PACERGUY
06-02-2015, 11:58 AM
The only major downside of the Maul is getting parts. I learned to fly in a Pacer so am a big fan of the shorting. Loading gear and people into a maul would be easier. How about a big tire 182?

tloes
06-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Sure would like to come up with a belly pod...

I'm quite surprised this hasn't been done already. Unfortunately in all of my "image sleuthing" around the internet I've not seen a snapshot of one yet (mounted to PA20 or PA22). I've also imagined a "camping cot" mounted in place of the right seat and haven't seen that either. There's an article or two about a Pacer where one of the rear cross-braces was made removable to extend the baggage area for camping. Was that Jim Younkin's?

rsrguy3
06-02-2015, 12:03 PM
182.....Omg!!!!!! $$$$$$$ :o

scotthayd
06-02-2015, 12:12 PM
The 182 seems like a great value. I would like to be able to fly with skis, and that seems like the one drawback. That and the weak nose gear.

mmoyle
06-02-2015, 12:20 PM
I'd like to find an old unusable pod from a PA something. Cut it apart to see how it was built....then build one to fit. There was a damaged pod on craigs list up here, fuel tank on the front end, cargo space aft.... Something like that. Use the original gear mounts at the wing struts and the float fittings aft... On the Maule parts.... Most of them can be fabricated from scratch. Airframes makes extended gear for the Maule.... Sure don't like pop rivets on the Maule wings or the teensy rudder.... For more weirdness on my part.... I've shy'd away from all aluminum aircraft....harder to fix if I screw up. Want this Pacer done so I can finish the Maule look alike.....300 hp Bearhawk with an Aclaim cowl....flush riveted wings and a big rudder. Moose/Boo hauler

rsrguy3
06-02-2015, 12:29 PM
That and 13gph. There is a big tire 182 at my home airport, pretty sure the front fork was modded. Looked neat but at the same time kinda like a retarded wheelbarrow.

rocket
06-02-2015, 05:27 PM
retarded wheelbarrow...

HA, i have one of each pa22 and 182B!
best bang for the buck in both birds!

8:50s and a 8:00 for the nose of my tripacer and

10x10 bushwheels with a 8:50x10 tire and an 8:50 on the nose in the Bigwheel

They both look great from the pilot seat and not so bad on a secluded beach or the tundra :)

Rocket

KSG
06-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Bearhawk, faster carries more, bigger. Or 182s are a good value now.