PDA

View Full Version : what is piece for?...

nimbuspacer
01-11-2016, 09:54 PM
I write because I 'm repairing one of the wings of my Tripacer i I just found this piece and i dont know what is for . Could someone tell me what it is for . is locate on the rails . I send you pictures so they can see the part that I mention.

Pacer 24C
01-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Looks like the pitot tube mount

gliderman
01-12-2016, 12:10 AM
yep
pitot tube bracket

stevesaircraft(Bri)
01-12-2016, 12:47 AM
Home made mount... Not a stock Piper part, at least not that I have ever seen in the dozen or so wings I've had apart over the years..

Brian

PACERGUY
01-12-2016, 01:07 AM
So this is two not just one piece. It is on both front and rear spar just outside of tank bay. Is this correct?
DENNY

stevesaircraft(Bri)
01-12-2016, 01:33 AM
So this is two not just one piece. It is on both front and rear spar just outside of tank bay. Is this correct?
DENNY

Denny...

Nice catch, I did not see that at first.... Considering the nut plate on the bottom and welded steel I would say they were for bolting on a underwing hard point for some reason... Possibly a spray rail, camera mount or even for hanging an antenna for wildlife tracking... The aircraft could also have been used for R&D in the past and they hung special pitot static probes on the wing for testing equipment...

Just a few ideas anyway... Would be interesting to see the history of the aircraft..

Brian

nimbuspacer
01-12-2016, 04:48 AM
thanks all for helping! I imagined that this is not a original part... so I will look for the history of the plane.. may be this is some kind of special mount! any way... if somebody know anything else... I will be thankful!!

Steve Pierce
01-12-2016, 07:58 AM
Or to mount a catch for a left sea plane door?

rocket
01-12-2016, 01:37 PM
I was going to quip bomb rack but someone beat me too it.

It does have a vary factory look to it whatever its used for. I have twice found factory wing tie downs inside two shortwings and they were the same gray color. It seems the tie downs were installed but only cut in if the new owner paid for the option??

In the DHCII Beaver manual there are all kinds of hard point options for air dropping fence posts and barrels of gear and there is a military manual I have seen with a line drawing of a person mounted on the O/B wing hard point!

Rocket

PACERGUY
01-12-2016, 10:58 PM
Ya I was thinking antenna but was into the merlot and could not figure out how to spell it! If you find any paperwork that says it is legal leave it in you never know when you might want to use it.
DENNY

PACERGUY
01-12-2016, 11:00 PM
I would leave it in even if there was not paperwork (back into the merlot)
DENNY