PDA

View Full Version : Blanton stretch pacer purchase advice

THE MACHINIST
07-03-2016, 10:46 AM
I found an experimental stretch pacer for sale that was listed on this site done by Blanton specs according to the builder. The wings were extended as well as flaps and ailerons. Unfortunately he didn't add long range tanks. A baggage door added. The attached images is all I have so far. the builder is an older guy in Michigan who doesn't have a computer. His sister in law was nice enough to scan and send me these from when they were doing weight and balance 20 years ago. He said he flew it 140 hours but could never get it to cool right. He started to convert it to an aircraft engine by closing off the radiator vents in the fuselage and lost interest or was getting to old to finish it is how he phrased it to me. He "deregistered it to sell it due to liability"

He said he has his builders logs as well as the old registration and lots of build pictures and Blanton plans.
I asked him to get me some current pictures which he is trying to do for me
I have several concerns. First how tough it might be to get it re-registered, second the gear angle looks raked very far forward. I was hoping to use an 0360 lycoming with a fixed pitch prop due to weight simplicity and cost. But am concerned without extending the motor mount forward that I won't be able to get the cg right.

I live in north Idaho so I want to be sure before I drive all the way there to get it that it's feasible to get this plane flying again.

Thanks for for your thoughts in advance

Jamie

dgmoore1
07-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Dave Blanton used the rear Tri-Pacer gear fitings and just turn the gear around.
There is a Dr. in Couer D'Alene that flys a Blanton stretched Pacer, He removed the Ford V6 and installed a O-360.

THE MACHINIST
07-03-2016, 12:23 PM
I guess that is why they look so odd. Are they sturdy enough that way or do they impose
bad angles of stress into the fuselage?

i messaged the guy in Coure D'alene on the supercubs site but have not heard back

Thanks

jamie

dgmoore1
07-03-2016, 01:18 PM
When Ed changed to the O-360 he changed the gear legs to Supercub.I have his Ford V6 with the reduction drive sitting in my hanger. Maybe I can build an airboat or something.

Where are you located?

Dave

THE MACHINIST
07-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Dave

I am in Sandpoint Idaho about 45 mins from Coure D'alene

my main concern is how hard will it be to get it re-registered and if I don't change the legs out for more
conventional ones then my cg will be off later.

thanks

Jamie

dgmoore1
07-03-2016, 01:44 PM
Can you get a bill of sale and the old registration?
Call the GADO in Spokane and ask what you need to re-register.

I have a friend in Tekoa, WA that knows more about these Piper fuselages than he cares to. If anyone knows, it will be him.
Give me an PM at dgmoore12@yahoo.com and I will tell him to call.

In fact he will probably see this before we can quess much more.

THE MACHINIST
07-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Yes I can get a bill of sale I hope he still has the old registration

i will shoot you an email

thanks

jamie

pistoncan
07-03-2016, 11:25 PM
Changing the gear to a conventional stance involves adding the landing gear fitting to station 1 and then using a standard pacer gear of some kind. The present front landing gear fitting will then be the rear landing gear fitting for the conventional gear. This change should not change the location of the wheels in relationship to the fuselage and should have very little effect on weight and balance. Removing the cooling lines and radiators will have an effect on weight and balance but I think it will be for the good. Adding a heavier O360 using a standard piper type mount should balance out your longer tail. I do not think you will have a problem in this regard.

Regarding the registration, I would hope you could us the old paperwork as the plane is basically a chopped up piper pacer and although they got away with it back then, you might have problems getting it registered as such now.

Stephen
07-04-2016, 10:34 AM
I think pistoncan is correct about using a regular engine mount, the Producer which is extended 2 feet keeps the standard mount. This should be an excellent airplane with an 0360. Hopefully, reregistration works out.

THE MACHINIST
07-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Thank you all for your knowledge this is pretty new to me having only done one homebuilt before.
Does anyone know someone qualified I could hire in the area to do a pre-buy inspection?

thanks again

jamie

Stephen
07-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Thank you all for your knowledge this is pretty new to me having only done one homebuilt before.
Does anyone know someone qualified I could hire in the area to do a pre-buy inspection?

thanks again

jamie

I don't know anyone specifically but, you might review the Blanton plans first. I believe there is some reinforcing done on the spar more than the spar splice. I would check to see that it was done. Then review the welds for the fuselage extension and landing gear hopefully they all look professional. Otherwise, anyone who knows fabric Piper aircraft would do.

I would expect this is going for a good price to your reflecting the work needed to get it flying. The engine will not be cheap. Since Blanton keeps the Pacer struts, check to see if they were upgraded to sealed which would be nice but, not required for experimental.

THE MACHINIST
07-04-2016, 01:06 PM
The plane is located in Petersburg, MI 49270 and I am in Sandpoint Idaho 2000 miles away. I would love to check it out myself but it's not feasible for me to drive or fly there then come back home and go back if it checks out financially or time wiseI also don't trust myself to be sure of what I'm looking at. That's why I was hoping to get a referral here. One nice thing the builder did put a partial Fiberglas bottom on it. he said to each access to the radiator that's no longer there now but should make inspection Of the tubing easier.

thanks again

jamie