PDA

View Full Version : Stupid cable question for those smarter then myself!

SClow303
01-10-2017, 11:11 AM
OK... I am feeling like an idiot this morning. I am in the process of making new cables to attach my control sticks in my Exp. Clipper build to the ailerons cables in my wings. As a side not I had to add pulleys inside the fuselage as when Charlie built this fuselage he had standard cub routing of the cables up the front strut. I am using extended pacer wings with the aileron cables coming out of the aft wing root area. The cable that I am making this week will go from my control sticks to the side of the cockpit, under the seat along the sidewall then up the sidewall behind the door frame and out of the fuselage at the same point the pacer cable would exit. It appears on the drawing that this cable should be 1/8 inch 7X19 galvanized. All my current turnbuckles have a 10-32 thread... When I went to order my new turnbuckles it states that for 1/8 cable I should use the larger turnbuckles with 1/4-28 thread.... It appears that all may stock cables are 1/8 inch and using the smaller turnbuckles. Any advise would be a huge help!

Steve Pierce
01-11-2017, 07:15 AM
The drawings are correct with what Piper used.

SClow303
01-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Yeah, it shows using the 1/8 cable with the smaller barreled turnbuckles. Looking at the dimensions the eye of the turnbuckle looks like .288, plenty for a thimbled 1/8 cable to pass through I am sure.

McDaver63
01-11-2017, 10:14 AM
When I made my cables for the Pacer they were 1/8" with thimbals and used the 10/32 terminals and turnbuckes. Everything fit fine. The only thing I would have done different is I would have used the terminals and turnbuckles that can accommodate the safety clips instead of having to safety wire. I hate safety wiring turnbuckles!