PDA

View Full Version : New Pa20

piperrocks2013
08-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Finally flew my 1951 Pa20 home today. What a beautiful bird. Only has 125hp 290 but its equivalent to a Tripacer with a 320 150. Cruises at around 125-130mph (varified with a GPS) and burns around 7GPH. Hands off controls and gets off plenty quick enough. Had to get it home early morning before heading north to work to assist as a communication tech on the growing fires in Northern Saskatchewan. Hope you all enjoy

Fly Safe
Jared

https://youtu.be/9DBq3A7OjLA

piperrocks2013
08-22-2017, 05:40 PM

eskflyer
08-22-2017, 06:07 PM
SWEET lookin bird. congrats.

tnowak
08-23-2017, 02:41 AM
Jared,

Lovely looking PA20.

Is "acrobatics" an aeronautical term in Canada???

TonyN

Steve Pierce
08-23-2017, 06:17 AM
Congratulations Jared.

Jim Hann
08-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Is "acrobatics" an aeronautical term in Canada???

TonyN
Tony, that is the exact wording of the required placard listed in the FAA TCDS. My 22/20 has that exact wording also.

I just looked it up and both Vagabonds have that same placard listed also. Yes it is semantics, from the same organization that decried we have CERTIFICATES and not LICENSES/LICENCES because they weren't sure how to spell it. Yeah, I know there is a difference!

I hope I don't come across as being cross, just one tiny example of how our Yank gubmint thinks.

moe2goe
08-23-2017, 09:29 AM
A beauty of an airplane in a perfect setting! She looks at home on the turf!

Fred Mayes
08-23-2017, 09:46 AM
And a perfect landing.

piperrocks2013
08-23-2017, 03:51 PM
And a perfect landing.
Thanks, my secert is close my eyes and scream all the way down till you hear a bang then cut the power and open your eyes :lol::lol:

tnowak
08-24-2017, 01:57 AM
Hi Jim,

That is interesting. I have never looked at the placard requirements before but we would say "aerobatics".
I Googled the meaning of acrobatics and couldn't find any reference to flying activities.

For example:
"Acrobatic describes something that's an amazing physical feat, especially if it involves agility and balance. An acrobatic dance routine might include back flips and handstands.
If you're acrobatic, you're good at gymnastics or physical circus tricks. A border collie might make a particularly acrobatic Frisbee catch, twisting and spinning in the air, and a little boy could perform acrobatic cartwheels across the living room. The adjective comes from acrobat, which in French — acrobate — means "tightrope walker," from a Greek word, akrobates, "rope dancer," related to akrobatos, "going on tip toe" or "climbing up high."

Nearest flying reference in the above description is what the border collie dog does!
TonyN

piperrocks2013
08-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Hi Jim,

That is interesting. I have never looked at the placard requirements before but we would say "aerobatics".
I Googled the meaning of acrobatics and couldn't find any reference to flying activities.

For example:
"Acrobatic describes something that's an amazing physical feat, especially if it involves agility and balance. An acrobatic dance routine might include back flips and handstands.
If you're acrobatic, you're good at gymnastics or physical circus tricks. A border collie might make a particularly acrobatic Frisbee catch, twisting and spinning in the air, and a little boy could perform acrobatic cartwheels across the living room. The adjective comes from acrobat, which in French — acrobate — means "tightrope walker," from a Greek word, akrobates, "rope dancer," related to akrobatos, "going on tip toe" or "climbing up high."

Nearest flying reference in the above description is what the border collie dog does!
TonyN

"acrobatic" can correctly be used to describe a person, cat, airplane, etc... performing "acrobatics". ... In my opinion, acrobatic is more related to a person, "One who is skilled in feats of balance and agility in gymnastics". However, aerobatic relates to maneuvers on the air

Source Google

The Way Im reading it is, Aerobatics is a aircraft performing maneuvers, Acrobatic is a person (Pilot?) performing maneuvers.

Cheers
Jared

Jim Hann
08-24-2017, 09:31 AM
The Way Im reading it is, Aerobatics is a aircraft performing maneuvers, Acrobatic is a person (Pilot?) performing maneuvers.

Cheers
Jared
But you are thinking logically Jared and Tony, we are talking about the FAA here!

The same agency that takes away a flight crew's scissors but requires them to have a crash axe on the flight deck. Here are the Canadian and US categories:
(Canada has aerobatic aeroplanes, the US has acrobatic aircraft!)

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part5-standards-523-sub-ab-2061.htm

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part23-3-FAR.shtml

Pacer42Z
08-24-2017, 11:51 AM
"The same agency that takes away a flight crew's scissors but requires them to have a crash axe on the flight deck."

Jim, this would be so funny if it wouldn't be also so sad.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

PeterL
08-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Did anyone have their computers crash or be blocked out after watching Jared first video here?

Mine did and it's a Mac

Peter

piperrocks2013
08-24-2017, 09:58 PM
Did anyone have their computers crash or be blocked out after watching Jared first video here?

Mine did and it's a Mac

Peter

Negative Peter Im using my Mac. No issues at all. Is your Adobe Flash up to date, Java, and Safari or Firefox?? Make sure all been updated and try again. Let me know

Jared

tnowak
08-25-2017, 02:22 AM
Jared,

Mr Piper must have been thinking the same!
Yesterday I found the drawing (off the CD) for my Vagabond's placards.
Clearly states ...ACROBATICS, so I won't be performing any acrobatic in the cockpit!
TonyN

Jim Hann
08-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Jared,

Mr Piper must have been thinking the same!
Yesterday I found the drawing (off the CD) for my Vagabond's placards.
Clearly states ...ACROBATICS, so I won't be performing any acrobatic in the cockpit!
TonyN
:new_rofl:

Jim Hann
08-25-2017, 08:33 AM

Mine did and it's a Mac

Peter
Just watched it again on my MacBook Pro, no issues.

Fred Mayes
08-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Acrobatics or aerobatics: The way I remember Dad talking about Acrobatics when he was young in the late 1920's, 1930's and I remember the 1950's there was not the word Aerobatics. Aerobatic is a new word invented I believe maybe in the late 1950's or maybe a little later.

Fred Mayes
Pacer N7478K