PDA

View Full Version : Colt versus Tri-Pacer gear

tjlebaron
11-07-2017, 05:59 AM
Greetings all,

I'm still trying to locate a 1957 Piper TriPacer right main gear. I see there is a Colt gear on eBay. This is a -9 gear whereas the parts book shows I need is a -5 gear. Does anyone know the difference. Is it a structural difference.

Thanks!

Steve Pierce
11-07-2017, 06:41 AM
From my experience with other Piper parts and drawing the base part is called out in the main part number and the dash numberis the stuff welded to it. That is how the engine mount is. I don't actually know the difference between the Tri-Pacer and the Colt right landing gear however.

tjlebaron
11-07-2017, 07:14 AM
Thanks Steve. I sent Clyde an email and might try calling him.

Steve Pierce
11-07-2017, 08:29 AM
I will find out the exact differences and post. Actually it would be the uncovered version. 13016-21 which is the later Tri-Pacer and early Colt right gear, uncovered and the -29 is the later Colt gear.

Steve Pierce
11-07-2017, 08:42 AM
After a little research i see the brake lines are different on the later Colts. I bet there is a difference on the brake caliper attachment bracket the gear leg since they went to disc brakes. I sent an email to my Deep Throat contact. 8)

Steve Pierce
11-07-2017, 10:10 AM
From my secret Deep Throat contact:

Congratulations, you stumped the band… The only information I have on the -29 landing gear is what can be found in the parts manual. I have no reference to it on our landing gear drawings, nor any information in my sealed files (original Piper drawings). No information on the short wing disk either. If you find anything out, please let me know…

tjlebaron
11-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Thanks so much for checking Steve! I actually have another gear I am flying with, but hate to have the airplane down while I pull it back off for recover. The airplane is so nice and I have a ugly right gear on it.