PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh 2018 group parking?

Jim Hann
06-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Steve et al,

I thought I remembered someone talking about trying to get an area set aside for Short Wing parking. Did that ever happen? Did it get derailed? Just curious, not sure yet if I'll make it up there or not.

Jim (no, the other one)

grbamford
06-24-2018, 09:20 PM
Jim,

I'm planning on flying up on Monday. Would love to put faces to names and planes. If we can do it in something that looks like a group that would be great. Let me know.

Greg

smcnutt
06-25-2018, 06:26 AM
Unfortunately I'm not going but had an idea to at least connect airplanes to names. Maybe people should put something in their window with the shortwing logo and their login name. That way if you're not by your airplane and somebody comes by they could at least make that connection. Might good advertising for the board as well as shortwing info in general.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95463)

dmark1
06-26-2018, 09:38 AM
I am bringing N8664D for one more attempt at a Gold lindy. Have made an array of tiny corrections from last year and hope to bring home the gold I will be arriving early as well.

siouxpilot77
06-27-2018, 07:06 PM
I'm probably heading up Sunday and planning on parking/camping in vintage. It's my first year going. If anyone else is around maybe we can park together ??

Mike
n1125c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180628/036b6169108de80134ae5db9e4219cda.jpg

grbamford
06-27-2018, 08:27 PM
Mike,

Great looking plane! I was thinking of park in Vintage as well, thought they had some special requirements to be eligible to park there. If we can, I think that Vintage would be awesome. I’m planning on getting there Monday.

Greg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org

siouxpilot77
06-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Greg,

Thanks! The previous owner did a wonderful Job with the restoration.

Just ordered some vinyl for the tail so hopefully will have the original logo on for the show. :-)

My understanding is we are considered classic and can park in vintage no problem. Just put the sign with VAC in your window when you land.

Does anyone know if there is a way to "rope off" an area for us? I have some friends within the organization, I can try and find out.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Pierce
06-28-2018, 06:46 AM
If you rope off a spot you start paying then. In past years we have had a friend save us a spot close to Theater in the Woods. We send him a check ahead of time along with our name, EAA number, N number and color of the plane. Different guy did it last year and I wasn't in the loop so was down by the ultralites.

Jim Hann
06-28-2018, 06:48 AM
Greg, all shortwings are old enough to park in Vintage but you might get shunted off to the South 40 which is quite a distance away from the Red Barn. The cutoff is December of 1970 IIRC off the top of my head.

Mike, the UND social is usually Wednesday night if you haven’t been to Oshkosh before. It’s usually at the Hilton Garden Inn, you can take the North 40 bus to get there.

I have been parking in the North 40 because it puts me close to where I volunteer for the show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just Call Me Al
07-01-2018, 06:54 PM
I am going for the 1st time, arriving via airlines (maybe faster than a Pacer? sure hope so!), camping out for the whole week. Looking forward to meeting SWP folks, will there be an informal gathering? Steve Pierce are you doing a clinic/forum during Oshkosh?

grbamford
07-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Jim,

I appreciate the info. EAA website had info on it that was a bit confusing about being eligible for judging and a couple of other things. I'll make a play for Vintage this year (get in early enough, hopefully won't be sent off into the south 40.) Looking forward to meeting other Shortwing pilots and their planes this year. N5731D is hard to miss.

Greg

Steve Pierce
07-17-2018, 10:12 AM
We are getting everything together to depart for Oshkosh this weekend. We should be somewhere in the area of Theater in the Woods around the Pasadena Rose Tri-Pacer in my Dad's Red Clipper and my brother's yellow Clipper. Looking forward to some cooler air than what we have been having in Texas. We also have a Short Wing Seminar scheduled for 2:30 on Wednesday July the 25th at Workshop Classroom B. Details posted here. https://www.eaa.org/airventure/event/Maintaining_Short_Wing_Pipers?id=033779EFEDA14FDA8 DC545536D242E6D
https://goo.gl/maps/NXiSEaYu5HB2
EAA has an application you can download on your phone with maps, schedules and lots of other useful information. Look for it in your app store and it is free. Looking forward to a week of airplanes and airplane people.

Steve Benesh
07-18-2018, 09:34 PM
To those traveling to AirVenture, remember to download and print the 2018 AirVenture Notam before departing. The 2018 Notam is 32 pages in length, same as last year. However, 27 pages have changes when compared to the 2017 version. I attended a presentation by Fred Stadler at the EAA Chp 252 monthly meeting last Thursday where he reviewed the Notam. Additionally, for anyone planning to use VOR navigation from the south, be aware the BURBUN and TIMMERMAN VORs are both being permanently de-commissioned on Friday July 19.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Clayton Harper
07-20-2018, 06:50 PM
JCMA, I've done that a few times. I rented a cargo van and used it like a tent. Also served as transportation. it worked out well the year it rained buckets of water, and blew Port a Potties over. One of the regular air mattress will fit, with space around for your stuff.

grbamford
07-20-2018, 07:25 PM
So far the weather out of Erie is looking rough for the week....may have to plan B and drive up. Still looking forward to meeting up.

Greg

siouxpilot77
07-20-2018, 07:29 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180721/4e7dc101d8caa24b747b79667a6f530b.jpg

I’m just across the street from KARR, in the west suburbs of Chicago. The weather has been bi-polar all day. Sunny for 30 then raining for 30. Rinse and repeat. This low is nasty stuff. Everyone be careful !

Steve Pierce
07-21-2018, 05:14 AM
My Dad and I are in spots 2 and 3 from the East end of Row E 68. Right next to the runway. Should be close to the Hanger Cafe. Left Texas yesterday. We are headed up from Memphis this morning.

grbamford
07-21-2018, 05:17 AM
Good luck. Hope the wx holds for you Steve. We’re watching it pretty close from Pa.

Frank Green
07-23-2018, 07:00 AM
Planning on heading out Wed. again in a RV8. Camp in rear of homebuilt area. There is a lot to be said about being in a IFR plane that can get to 15K, auto pilot and burn 6 an hour at 160 kts. I would never give up my short wing but just saying. Hopefully I will get there in time for Steve's forum.

grbamford
07-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Frank has a point. Made the wx decision yesterday. Jumped in the truck and just arrived.

Steve Pierce
07-23-2018, 07:56 AM
We made it but it wasn't fun or pretty. Row 68 by the runway across from the Hanger Cafe.

Rotormech
07-24-2018, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=Steve Pierce;110707]We made it but it wasn't fun or pretty. Row 68 by the runway across from the Hanger Cafe.[/QUOTEo13835iehy]

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95463)

Troy Hamon
07-24-2018, 01:13 PM
My Dad and I are in spots 2 and 3 from the East end of Row E 68. Right next to the runway. Should be close to the Hanger Cafe. Left Texas yesterday. We are headed up from Memphis this morning.

Sawing some serious logs in that cockpit. I have a bunch of photos of my kids that look sort of similar...universal pilot dad experience.

smcnutt
07-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Sawing some serious logs in that cockpit. I have a bunch of photos of my kids that look sort of similar...universal pilot dad experience.
I got some scratches in my side windows from it. Need to put covers on the headset screws. However, it's fun to watch the head-bobbing since there's no headrest to lean against. The shoulder straps help though.:D

My wife likes the back seat partially for that reason.

Pacerfgoe
07-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Is it possible for one of you guys attending to video the workshop for those of us that can't attend?

Zac Weidner
08-01-2018, 06:20 AM
I'm probably heading up Sunday and planning on parking/camping in vintage. It's my first year going. If anyone else is around maybe we can park together ??

Mike
n1125c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180628/036b6169108de80134ae5db9e4219cda.jpg

I wish I would have read this BEFORE I left for OSH. I saw you taxi in, and thought you had a very nice looking Pacer. We were a row behind you in the Yellow/Black/White Twin Comanche by the taxiway.

Steve Pierce
08-01-2018, 07:23 AM
Yes, I was a row behind you as well. Beautiful Pacer.

Frank Green
08-01-2018, 07:30 AM
Flew out IFR wed. RV8 Got there just in time for Steve's forum. Very good Steve. Great to put some faces to names. Flew back Sat. OSH to 6B4 672 miles direct @ 9500 picked up a little tail wind and averaged 190 to 205 mph ground. 3 hrs. 40 min and 6.2 gph. Landed with half tanks remaining. Great way to get to OSH but for pancakes this Sun. I'll take my Tri anytime.

Steve Pierce
08-01-2018, 07:34 AM
You are getting spoiled Frank. After three days of dodging weather I finally made it home.

Frank Green
08-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Homebuilt camping is great too. Got the best spot ever. Somebody must have just left. 3 rows from the back 2nd in. Close to the pavilion, facilities and tram stop. Not far from the beer garden too which is a short walk but the bands can be a little loud. Steve you sure had a close up view of everything.

siouxpilot77
08-01-2018, 05:03 PM
Yes, I was a row behind you as well. Beautiful Pacer.

I stopped by and we talked about the giants for a little while, oh and some airplane stuff too :-)

Good putting a face to the name. Your dad’s clipper is beautiful !

Steve Pierce
08-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Ah, remember now. Talk to a lot of people

tnowak
08-02-2018, 02:14 AM
Steve,

What is the flying like from Graham to Oshkosh (apart from the weather - we all have that problem!)
Generally flat or hills to climb over en-route?
I have only flown once in USA and that was in sunny CA in a Piper longwing.
Flight time there and back?
TonyN

Steve Pierce
08-03-2018, 06:41 AM
We usually fly from Graham to Memphis and then the next day Memphis to Oshkosh. Graham to Memphis takes us just north of the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex and is pretty flat with lots of fields until we get into the Arkansas foothills which is mainlly forest until we get to Little Rock, Arkansas. From there to Memphis it is flat rice farms all the way to the Mississippi River. Memphis to Oshkosh is a mix of forest and farm fields along the Mississippi River until you get north of the Missouri foot hills and into large soy bean and corn field of Illinois. Wisconsin is a lot of rolling hills and farms lined with trees, very pretty flying up there.
Graham to Memphis is usually a 4.5-5 hour flight and Memphis to Oshkosh is 6 hours plus. Most of the time I go straight from Oshkosh to Graham and that is an 8 plus hour flight.

Zac Weidner
08-05-2018, 04:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180805/f68a8b6613c67199c5715ebcc98fe288.jpg

tnowak
08-07-2018, 02:40 AM
Thanks Steve, must have been a great flight.
Would have been lots of fuel stops if I was in my Vagabond - 2 hrs legs max!
Eight hours Oshkosh - Graham! Wow, that is a long flight. Good bladdder control!!
TonyN

Jim Hann
08-07-2018, 05:26 AM

Mike
n1125c

Mike, I’m sorry we didn’t get to meet up. I left a day earlier than planned because the weather didn’t look so hot on Sunday. I also have a problem walking across the grounds... between the proximity of St, Louis to Oshkosh and 30+ years of attending I keep running into people I know and we get to talking. :-)

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95463)

siouxpilot77
08-08-2018, 01:34 AM
No worries !!! I had a hard time getting north of show center. I never really made it past the UND tent actually. Pretty much stayed in vintage, so didn’t get to your neck of the woods.

We tried to go to the UND ALUM Wednesday Social but didn’t make it. Maybe next year I’ll pick a different day for my wife and 2 little girls to come up :-) The girls are 2 and 5 and tend to be a handful around that time of day. They came up to see the night airshow but after it got weathered they beat feet to the car and hurried back to Chicago so the wouldn’t get caught in the storm.

Anyway, next time I have a long STL on the schedule I’ll drop you a line. Maybe I can come see your pacer.

siouxpilot77
08-08-2018, 01:36 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180805/f68a8b6613c67199c5715ebcc98fe288.jpg

Nice! When did you take that??

siouxpilot77
08-08-2018, 01:42 AM
Ah, remember now. Talk to a lot of people

I bet!

Ran into Charlie C today. He was flying a flight to STL I was riding on. I mentioned your name and his face lit up light a Christmas tree. He had nothing but glowing things to say about the time he spent with you doing his annual. Sounds like he learned a lot and you guys had a great time.

Mike

Zac Weidner
08-08-2018, 05:10 AM
Nice! When did you take that??

As you were taxiing into your row. I was parked on the end sitting there watch all the commotion Sunday afternoon.

Steve Pierce
08-08-2018, 06:54 AM
I bet!

Ran into Charlie C today. He was flying a flight to STL I was riding on. I mentioned your name and his face lit up light a Christmas tree. He had nothing but glowing things to say about the time he spent with you doing his annual. Sounds like he learned a lot and you guys had a great time.

Mike

Charlie is a great guy. Always enjoy hanging out with him. We just didn't get to go gravel bar hopping this last trip. It never ceases to amaze me how small our aviation world is and how big it is. :icon_biggrin:

siouxpilot77
08-08-2018, 12:22 PM
As you were taxiing into your row. I was parked on the end sitting there watch all the commotion Sunday afternoon.

Commotion is one way to put it! I’m still sitting here wondering how I made it in. What a mess!

Steve Pierce
08-08-2018, 01:03 PM
Me too, crazy.