PDA

View Full Version : My poor Pacer

tbag
07-02-2018, 04:32 PM
Was totaled by a student soling it. He was ok, but N50KF has seen better days. The airframe has broken longerons and I dont think its worth fixing. But there is a lot of good stuff.

Im trying to decide if I take the $13500 bid for salvage from a junkyard or maybe can do the same or better helping out some of you people here.

It had:
150hp with 760 hours on a Mattiuck overhaul. PID crank, oil filter adapter, slick mags, Sky-Tech starter. Propstrike in accident.

Garmin 430WAAS with updated software
Garmin GPSMAP 496
Century HSI (just paid almost 3grand to have it serviced and repaired)
Brittain Autopilot
Garmin intercom

20 hours on ABW tailwheel and new ABW spring

Cleveland dual puck disc brakes, I have extra pads

Wheel pants which were not installed at time of incident.

1.5 hours on Sutton exhaust system, rear mount oil cooler, and baffling from Rubbert. I have the old front mount cooler and hoses as well.
It had Madras wingtips, one is pretty hammered, the other is fine

I have extra tires, spark plugs (brand new champions still in package) custom fit covers, block heater set up.

If anyone is interested in any of this stuff, it would be cool if I can make it work out to help out some of the people are on this forum. Just need to get my money out of it and play with my new plane. Sadly this will be my last Short Wing for a while I replaced it with an SLSA.

Any questions feel free to email me

travis@atomicauto.com

Thanks!

Photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B5E9LiWdWkmXCq7s6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hG4XpUswJZ4DtYgc6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/esmopJJH9eEEyof19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Go5eJ2Cj8Gy39fkr5

Allycat
07-03-2018, 05:54 AM
Man, what a shame. If you elect to part it out, I would think the avionics, autopilot and firewall forward stuff alone would total more than the salvage bid. Anyway keep us informed on what you decide. I might have some interest in the auto pilot and some of the other things you have.

Allycat

Steve Pierce
07-03-2018, 06:40 AM
Sorry to see that Travis. Lot of this stuff for sale unfortunatley. Figure in your time of disassembling, storing and dealing with folks on all of it. If it goes to bid it might have a better chance being repaired and back in the air. I have repaired far worse.

yarddart
07-03-2018, 06:58 AM
Sorry for your loss this one's a little beyond being able to buff it out good luck

pilot
07-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Travis, I've said it before - that was one beautifully done aircraft, sorry to see! I could go for the Sutton exhaust, edm700, covers, extra set of tires if 7.00 or 8.00, SL30, probably can't swing the 430 since it is WAAS. If you have some numbers in mind for everything maybe post it all and see if you can make it add up, I think you could come out ahead - and I'm willing to chip in.

Stephen
07-04-2018, 07:16 AM
There is a PA 20 on Orcas Island, WA that looks very similar to yours. It probably ground looped a week or so ago. It took out it's left gear, the wing broke at the strut attachment and left side tail is damaged some longeron damage. But, no prop strike. Like yours it's repairable.

Steve Pierce
07-04-2018, 07:44 AM
There is a PA 20 on Orcas Island, WA that looks very similar to yours. It probably ground looped a week or so ago. It took out it's left gear, the wing broke at the strut attachment and left side tail is damaged some longeron damage. But, no prop strike. Like yours it's repairable.
I saw that, repairable but heart breaking. 1950 model. Was surprised the prop didn't hit.

Old3pacer
07-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Very sad about both of those.
Your plane was beautiful Travis, if I were you I would keep it, not sell it for that salvage price.
Any plans for another shortwing? I think you could make out better parting out those very nice parts

Fred Mayes
07-04-2018, 02:19 PM
Looking at both of the Pacers I think both should be rebuilt. There are a lot of home built aircraft being built from scratch. I would rather start on a Pacer than a Van.

grbamford
07-04-2018, 03:47 PM
I believe that the yellow pacer belongs to a member of this group......

Stephen
07-04-2018, 06:41 PM
I believe that the yellow pacer belongs to a member of this group......

Interestingly, the left wing will need new spars but, the struts looked fine.

Pacerfgoe
07-06-2018, 01:09 PM
I might be interested in the baffles if you choose to part it out.....let me know.

It's a shame about your bird...

Larry2011
07-13-2018, 12:06 PM
That be me!
Poor YellowBird got away from me and ground-looped. Insurance deemed it a total loss.
I didn't want to go into details until my meeting with FAA, (2hrs)which was yesterday. No license suspension, but will be taking a tailwheel lesson shortly; which is perfectly fine with me.
34 at Orcas goes down hill. Had a left crosswind for 34 and, AWOS sounded pretty tame (SW9G15), but it felt way more than what it was calling out. Took a bounce, compensated that with a few hundred RPM's, floated forever, dipped left wing again, reach down to raise flaps and, right rudder muscle memory likey got me behind on second bounce. I couldn't catch up; It happened so damn fast! Been waking up at 2-3am pissed off trying to pin point where I lost it . . .

Larry2011
07-13-2018, 12:11 PM
. . . there a 30 day bidding process if anyone is interested.

It is at Avtech Services, Auburn, WA.

www.aircraftsalvageonline.com

Larry

Larry2011
07-13-2018, 12:22 PM
There was a prop strike.
When I got on the grass, that's where the wheel dug in and collapsed left gear leg. Soft soil, the prop didn't bend, it's scuffed from going into soil a couple inches.
I've always done a fingernail harmonic check every preflight, to both ends of prop. Did a check after this accident and not a hint of off note. Of course a prop shop will have final say . . .

Larry

Steve Pierce
07-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Been waking up at 2-3am pissed off trying to pin point where I lost it . . .

Larry, I know that feeling well. Just know you are not the first nor the last. It gets better with time.

mmoyle
07-13-2018, 01:32 PM
I’m really curious if the left gear leg failed? When I totaled my 1950 Pacer...I spent six months kicking my butt...until an eye witness told me what happened...touched down right gear in fairly gusty conditions...was told the right tire swung out and under the airplane.. verified by the FFA engineers when they reviewed pictures of the landing gear....only after being told what happened and receiving that letter rescinding the check ride demand...did I fully understand why the right wing tip almost hit the runway...causing me to decrease right aileron input...floating sideways....Bla Bla..
And I didn’t see your Pacer on the auction site..
Mark M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Larry2011
07-13-2018, 04:25 PM
No, gear leg took a full load when it dug in. I pretty much hit the dirt at the apex of the loop.

Thank you Steve . . . still one of those, "shoulda, coulda . . . gone around.

Stephen
07-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Larry, I know that feeling well. Just know you are not the first nor the last. It gets better with time.

I also know the feeling. My left gear off from a rough landing and a welding failure. So, it was not my fault.....oops....I did the welding......Damn.

Frankenpacer
07-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Was totaled by a student soling it. He was ok, but N50KF has seen better days. The airframe has broken longerons and I dont think its worth fixing. But there is a lot of good stuff.

Im trying to decide if I take the $13500 bid for salvage from a junkyard or maybe can do the same or better helping out some of you people here.

It had:
150hp with 760 hours on a Mattiuck overhaul. PID crank, oil filter adapter, slick mags, Sky-Tech starter. Propstrike in accident.

Garmin 430WAAS with updated software
Garmin GPSMAP 496
Century HSI (just paid almost 3grand to have it serviced and repaired)
Brittain Autopilot
Garmin intercom

20 hours on ABW tailwheel and new ABW spring

Cleveland dual puck disc brakes, I have extra pads

Wheel pants which were not installed at time of incident.

1.5 hours on Sutton exhaust system, rear mount oil cooler, and baffling from Rubbert. I have the old front mount cooler and hoses as well.
It had Madras wingtips, one is pretty hammered, the other is fine

I have extra tires, spark plugs (brand new champions still in package) custom fit covers, block heater set up...

Probably sucks to hear this, but I'd bet you will be hard pressed to do better than the 13.5 the insurance company is offering. The low time engine is now a "core" with a suspect crank. The avionics are nice, but even the 430 is becoming irrelevant. The airframe will need a complete recover in addition to some significant repairs. Even if you do manage to pull more than 13.5, it won't be but pennies more and there is a pretty good chance it will take a year of weekends stripping off the odd bits. And at the end you will still have the whole airframe to cart off to the dump or local A&P school, because a Shortwing airframe aint worth much by itself.

Let go of the passion and take a hard look at the value proposition this represents.

dgapilot
07-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Lesson here, if you pay for hull insurance, set the value as high as you can. You may pay a little more in premiums, but if it gets wrecked you will at least get what your value is. I ran a repair station years ago where all we did was insurance repairs. Most insurance companies have a formula they use to determine if the aircraft gets totaled or not. Figure with just a prop strike, the repair for that with nothing to the airframe will be over 20k for an O320. If the repair costs exceed about 85% (varies by insurance company) of the insured value, it gets totaled. You sign the title over and they give you a check for the insured value minus your deductible. Some insurance companies will let you “buy back” the salvage, others require it to go out for bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Pierce
07-19-2018, 11:32 AM
Lesson here, if you pay for hull insurance, set the value as high as you can. You may pay a little more in premiums, but if it gets wrecked you will at least get what your value is. I ran a repair station years ago where all we did was insurance repairs. Most insurance companies have a formula they use to determine if the aircraft gets totaled or not. Figure with just a prop strike, the repair for that with nothing to the airframe will be over 20k for an O320. If the repair costs exceed about 85% (varies by insurance company) of the insured value, it gets totaled. You sign the title over and they give you a check for the insured value minus your deductible. Some insurance companies will let you “buy back” the salvage, others require it to go out for bid.

I didn't see where he was under insured just what the value of the salvage was. Insure for what you can replace it for. The insurance companies I have dealt with get repair bids and salvage bids. They figure out what is cheaper, fix the airplane or total it, write you a check and sell the salvage. It does not cost much more to up the hull value. I have seen a few airplanes totaled for not real serious damage because the salvage was worth more than it was to repair. Mainly on Super cubs because people pay way to much for a wreck thinking tey are getting a deal.

dgapilot
07-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Had one SuperCub that the guy only had 35k of hull coverage. Engine quit, went into a field and on its back. I had to fight with the insurance company to let us fix it. They could have gotten more than the 35k in salvage from it. Had another perfectly Airworthy Cherokee that they totaled for some minor hail damage. I think that guy only had about 12 or 15k in hull coverage.

Guppycaptain
09-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Sorry about your Pacer Travis.
What did you decide to do with it? Also, what control wheels did you use in that beautifully done interior? I’m planning to convert mine. Thanks for your reply.

tbag
09-29-2018, 07:20 PM
It's being parted out by someone else who has more time than I do. If you get me your email address I will have him contact you. Thanks!
Sorry about your Pacer Travis.
What did you decide to do with it? Also, what control wheels did you use in that beautifully done interior? I’m planning to convert mine. Thanks for your reply.

Guppycaptain
10-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Sent you a PM with email. Which control wheels did you use? Aircraft Spruce?

tbag
10-09-2018, 10:37 AM
The plane is being parted out. If anybody wants anything please email me travis@atomicauto.comhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181009/c3b3ea57a72535f305506a6267352991.jpg