PDA

View Full Version : Flying through rain with a fabric airplane

pilotx86
11-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Hello. Another silly question from someone who has never flown a fabric plane before:

Would flying through some light to moderate rain affect the fabric at all? I wouldn't want to fly through that kind of sustained rain for hours on end, but would a good rain shower here and there hurt the plane at all?

My idea would be to air the plane out quite considerably with a couple of shop fans in a hangar.

Thanks for your time.

Old3pacer
11-01-2018, 05:28 PM
Nope. Flying through rain should be fine.

smcnutt
11-01-2018, 05:36 PM
It might clean it a little but other than that it is fine.

Gilbert Pierce
11-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Hello. Another silly question from someone who has never flown a fabric plane before:

Would flying through some light to moderate rain affect the fabric at all? I wouldn't want to fly through that kind of sustained rain for hours on end, but would a good rain shower here and there hurt the plane at all?

My idea would be to air the plane out quite considerably with a couple of shop fans in a hangar.

Thanks for your time.
Did so several times in the Yukon. No advers effects. Don’t do it with a wood prop though.

59pacer
11-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Did so several times in the Yukon. No advers effects. Don’t do it with a wood prop though.
About 35 yrs ago I was invited to become the spare pilot for a WWI Sopwith Pup team. It's prop had no leading edge protection, was beautifully polished, and turned at about 1900 rpm. On ferry trip with not much fuel left, I had to go through the lightest rain for a few seconds. After shutdown, the prop leading edges looked like they had been hit with a shotgun.
Fabric has never been a problem.

andya
11-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Flew through several moderate rain showers down in texas way back in the 90's. once we got thru probably flew at least half to three quarter hour in clear to land at destination. airplane appeared a lot drier than after I wash it and take it around the pattern once. Doesn't hurt them a bit. If you have a little water come in thru the windshield or door frame, with all the air movement I am guessing it evaporates quicker than it would tied up outside when a rain storm goes by. Been in that boat too.

Pacer42Z
11-02-2018, 02:22 AM
I fly my Pacer IFR and I'm hitting rain showers several times per year. Over the years I also had some (light) ice encounters and the fabric is fine. I had my prop overhauled a couple of years ago and within the first year the rain took the paint off the prop on the tips.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Gilbert Pierce
11-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Many transports and warbirds of yesteryear had fabric controls. Corsairs, C47/DC3, Super Connie. I’ve been thru heavy icing and North Pacific storms in Connie’s with no ill effects on the fabric. Goodie bird damage was the biggest threat.

dgapilot
11-09-2018, 11:49 AM
I used to fly the Howard IFR, not a lot but enough to stay current. I used to figure every 2 or 3 years I needed to repaint the leading edges on the wings. Short wing pipers are a little slower, so not so much a problem. As Steve said, rain on wood props will kill them in short order, don’t do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gilbert Pierce
11-09-2018, 02:06 PM
I knew there was an advantage to flying slow.

pa20
11-12-2018, 02:43 PM
I fly my Pacer IFR and I'm hitting rain showers several times per year. Over the years I also had some (light) ice encounters and the fabric is fine. I had my prop overhauled a couple of years ago and within the first year the rain took the paint off the prop on the tips.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z
Here is the solution that I use! It has kept my prop looking good for years!
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/propguard.php?clickkey=304658

Andrew Essex
11-26-2018, 09:45 AM
I've flown through steady rain in my L18c with no ill effects to the fabric, i have a metal prop.

evanr42
01-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Here is the solution that I use! It has kept my prop looking good for years!
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/propguard.php?clickkey=304658
How visible is the prop guard once applied?

Have also taken my PA22 through rain in Chicago and Florida a few times- generally try to reduce RPM a tad because the prop does take some damage, but the rest of the plane looks great - have known a few guys whose preferred method of washing their aircraft is to go up when a little rain is coming over the field....fabric never minds!

Gilbert Pierce
01-04-2019, 09:29 AM
How visible is the prop guard once applied?
!
When new barely visible. After about 10 years mine was discolored by I guess sun and bug juice. When I removed it it was still tough and flexible. I need to re-apply it as it did a great job of protecting the prop leading edge.