PDA

View Full Version : O-320 propeller selection?

cook11
01-11-2019, 11:52 AM
What is a good lightweight prop for the Lycoming O-320? I have been looking at Catto and the ground adjustable Whirlwind. What is the max diameter a O-320 can efficiently use and would you run a 2 or 3 blade if you had a choice? Anyone running the Whirlwind ground adjustable and if so what are your impressions so far?

Thanks!

CamTom12
01-11-2019, 08:51 PM
What is a good lightweight prop for the Lycoming O-320? I have been looking at Catto and the ground adjustable Whirlwind. What is the max diameter a O-320 can efficiently use and would you run a 2 or 3 blade if you had a choice? Anyone running the Whirlwind ground adjustable and if so what are your impressions so far?

Thanks!

No experience with either, but I’ve been eyeing them both as well.

What I’ve read says to stay at 78 or lower on the whirlwind. 80 is doable but one guy that had one said he had really high oil temps with that one at cruise, which I’m assuming translates to more load on the engine due to the additional profile drag.

Catto’s sure says there’s not a significant difference between 2 and 3 blade props at the speeds we’re turning them and flying at. I’d believe that. I have plenty of prop clearance and will go for a 2 blade when I get to that point.

If I had the money I’d get a CS. Anyone want to pitch in? Hahahaha

Stephen
01-12-2019, 11:44 AM
I don't know of any light weight certified props for an 0-320. Catto is experimental although, I keep hearing they are working on a certified prop for SC's.