PDA

View Full Version : New pilot and owner.

cbat
03-31-2019, 09:11 PM
So I was in the right place at the right time and now own a Piper PA 20. Now I just need to learn how to fly it. Only instructor I know isn’t tail dragged certified but said he always wanted to be so I said well now you have a plane to get certified in. My bride thinks I bumped my head.

Wag-builder
03-31-2019, 09:24 PM
You did not say how many hour you have or if you have any time at all in a Tripacer. Wellcome to the group and tell us a little about yourself.

Steve

Brian
03-31-2019, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the forum. As a new shortwing owner you will find this site invaluable.
Transitioning to a TW depends in part on how comfortable you are with tricycle landings in gusty and crosswind conditions. The TW gear only adds a certain degree of difficulty to landing a plane in general. When I bought my first PA-20 I was 21 years old and probably had under 50 hours in my logbook and almost all of that in C-150’s. Even with that limited skill set my non instructor dad got me transitioned in about 5 hours or probably 50 touch and goes. (No FAA TW endorsement back then in the ‘70s). Tell us a bit more about your experience, details of your new plane, etc.

andya
03-31-2019, 10:10 PM
Where are you located, someone here may know of an instructor with tailwheel or even SWP qualified.