PDA

View Full Version : Crosswinds STOL Flap/Aileron gap seal

C175SKYLARK
09-13-2020, 10:56 AM
Does anyone have pictures of the underside of wing flap and ailerons with the Crosswinds STOL FLAP & AILERON SEAL installed.

I am looking for specific details of how the seals are installed to verify the length of each piece.

Marc Davis
09-14-2020, 05:49 PM
Do you have the STC paperwork? It shows that in detail. Much better than a picture could. They are kind of hidden up inside the gap.
I have the flap seals installed. I need to reinstall the ailerons.

C175SKYLARK
09-14-2020, 08:59 PM
Do you have the STC paperwork? It shows that in detail. Much better than a picture could. They are kind of hidden up inside the gap.
I have the flap seals installed. I need to reinstall the ailerons.

Actually I do have instructions & a 337. BUT no STC with aircraft records. Flaps were modified, cuffs and the stall fence brackets were installed and a recover done at same time, but wings were never installed. FAA Records CD had copies of STOL & recover, both indicating installed 7/26/96.

The last entry in the aircraft log book was dated 11-9-68 and aircraft had been stored inside until 2018-19 time frame.

The false spar extension @ wing root to fuselage was not finished but flaps were modified per instructions. The flap seals were not installed since the wings had not been reinstalled and the flap/aileron gap seals were missing.

I spoke with Charlie Center @ Crosswinds STOL for info, told him what I have, asked if there was a record of the STC for the install. His comment was that it was so long ago, & 4 secretaries later, he did not know where to look. Sold the me a set of new gap seals, and a copy of the STC to go with the 337 that was on the records CD.

The missing detail that I did not have was the length of the seals, where to cut for length between hinge points. I called again and spoke with "Mike" and he told me they no longer use the spray adhesive because it was so messy. They now use 1/2" wide aluminum strips & PK x1/4 screw @ +/- 3" on center to secure aluminum & fabric to the false spar. They use aluminum pop rivets to attach seals to the flap & aileron.

If you don't mind, I would like to see how your flap seals look installed, from bottom flaps down and or top flaps retracted.
you can text to me @ 509 521 7619

Bob

Marc Davis
09-15-2020, 12:24 PM
Sure. I'll send you some pics. I will get out to the hangar this week. BTW, my paperwork was missing off the FAA database. I suspect my wings were from a different aircraft and the paperwork was done "creatively". Charley also sold me a copy of the STC to make everything legal for a reasonable price. Very nice of him.

C175SKYLARK
02-06-2021, 12:25 PM
Marc. About ready to roll out mine, when wind goes away. My weight came in @ 1150 zero fuel with 6 qts oil. New Air-Tex front seat finally arrived. Looking for what you have for performance numbers. Gap seals are done, & have the Madras tips with the Crosswinds.
Never flown with CW STOL so if you could share your speeds would be appreciated. Stall speed? Thank

Marc Davis
02-06-2021, 01:51 PM
@c175skylark With two guys and full main tanks I stall at 39mph at 3000ft on a normal Oregon summer day, so about 65F and 20% humidity . I tried several stalls on different compass bearings and checked the airspeed indicator against the GPS. At the moment I don't have the gap seals in the ailerons. But I have the rest of the kit. I have minimized washout and dihedral and the rest of the rigging is spot on. Stalls are non events with no sharp break. Accelerated stalls have a soft break straight ahead with minimal if any rudder input needed. I have not tried spins.

Having flown at least 5 short wings, I don't think there is any big handling difference in normal flight with the STOL kit installed. The edge of the envelope is just a little further out. Have fun :-)