PDA

View Full Version : Piper PA-22 Colt 108 Experimental in Australia??

lollyfin
10-30-2020, 04:26 AM
Good evening everyone, was wondering if there were any Piper Colts in Australia that have been put under the Experimental Category? i see there are a few in the U.S. but was not sure about over here. i recently purchased a nice little Piper Colt and wouldnt mind doing a few odds & ends to it

Any help or guidence on the matter would be amazing

Cheers

Rob

dgapilot
10-30-2020, 01:01 PM
Good evening everyone, was wondering if there were any Piper Colts in Australia that have been put under the Experimental Category? i see there are a few in the U.S. but was not sure about over here. i recently purchased a nice little Piper Colt and wouldnt mind doing a few odds & ends to it

Any help or guidence on the matter would be amazing

Cheers

Rob

Don’t know what the Australian regulations are for Experimental, but here in the US, there are several flavors of experimental. If talking amateur built, you can’t take a certified airplane to amateur built here in the US, you need to show that you fabricated and assembled 51% for education or entertainment. That isn’t necessarily 51% of the work, it is 51% of the tasks, but you can’t count anything done to parts that came from a certified airplane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

59pacer
10-30-2020, 04:22 PM
Don’t know what the Australian regulations are for Experimental, but here in the US, there are several flavors of experimental. If talking amateur built, you can’t take a certified airplane to amateur built here in the US, you need to show that you fabricated and assembled 51% for education or entertainment. That isn’t necessarily 51% of the work, it is 51% of the tasks, but you can’t count anything done to parts that came from a certified airplane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rules are similar here, so I can't see how a Colt can be experimental, but having said that, there will always be someone prepared to bend or ignore the rules.
Digressing----
We also have a recreational category (RA) which is limited by weight and stall speed, among others, and I can't see how a Colt would fit there, either, but there is one for sale here at the moment.
I also know of a Tomahawk here that has a serial number that was never issued by Piper. Once it was put on the register, no one would ever check it, even though it is a requirement for the issue of a maintenance release.
Our major airline's aircraft have legally required registration letters which don't comply with our regulations. Technically the aircraft are not 'airworthy', but they are all parked at the moment so does it matter?
It all depends on your risk-taking profile!!

lollyfin
10-31-2020, 04:33 AM
The rules are similar here, so I can't see how a Colt can be experimental, but having said that, there will always be someone prepared to bend or ignore the rules.
Digressing----
We also have a recreational category (RA) which is limited by weight and stall speed, among others, and I can't see how a Colt would fit there, either, but there is one for sale here at the moment.
I also know of a Tomahawk here that has a serial number that was never issued by Piper. Once it was put on the register, no one would ever check it, even though it is a requirement for the issue of a maintenance release.
Our major airline's aircraft have legally required registration letters which don't comply with our regulations. Technically the aircraft are not 'airworthy', but they are all parked at the moment so does it matter?
It all depends on your risk-taking profile!!

Thankyou for the info mate. Will look a little further into it

Lee Finstad
12-14-2021, 06:35 PM
Good day, I’m a little bit late into this conversation, but I’m actually doing up here in Canada what you want to do down under...I recently acquired a Pa 22-108 project-in-pieces and I have successfully had it approved to be used in a Wagabond plans built project. As this Pa-22 was still registered with Transport Canada, I first applied to have it de-registered and then had to apply with MD-RA (Transport Canada’s Experimental governance) for an Intent to Build for a Wagabond (complete with project plans serial number and then also apply for a Major Portion Inspection utilizing commercially built parts (namely a donor Pa-22) In this Major Portion Inspection I had to prove that I intended to construct and/or assemble 51% of this project. An approved Inspector visited my shop and viewed what pieces I had and my appropriate paperwork proving my intentions. Utilizing the fuselage, empennage and wings bare frames I was able to calculate I’d still be constructing and assembling 69% of the Wagabond. A bit of a paperwork hoop jumping contest, but I have the official green light to proceed

lollyfin
12-15-2021, 02:45 PM
Good day, I’m a little bit late into this conversation, but I’m actually doing up here in Canada what you want to do down under...I recently acquired a Pa 22-108 project-in-pieces and I have successfully had it approved to be used in a Wagabond plans built project. As this Pa-22 was still registered with Transport Canada, I first applied to have it de-registered and then had to apply with MD-RA (Transport Canada’s Experimental governance) for an Intent to Build for a Wagabond (complete with project plans serial number and then also apply for a Major Portion Inspection utilizing commercially built parts (namely a donor Pa-22) In this Major Portion Inspection I had to prove that I intended to construct and/or assemble 51% of this project. An approved Inspector visited my shop and viewed what pieces I had and my appropriate paperwork proving my intentions. Utilizing the fuselage, empennage and wings bare frames I was able to calculate I’d still be constructing and assembling 69% of the Wagabond. A bit of a paperwork hoop jumping contest, but I have the official green light to proceed

Morning Lee, appreciate the reply, good to see what can be done with a little creativity. My piper has since sold but im in the market to start a Pa22 Build. i have been in discussion with our SAAA members which are Ameture Built Experimental Group which can do certifying etc, and i proposed a plan to use the original Fuselage, spars tail group etc and fabricate new ribs and convert to control sticks and completely change the motor(Apex) and it came in around the same Percentage. so it definately can be done. there lies the perks of ABE aircraft aswell with maintanence and mods etc.

Id be interested to follow your build mate

Cheers

Rob