PDA

View Full Version : Sun N Fun April 2021 or Oshkosh?

T. Bix
01-16-2021, 02:29 PM
It may be too soon for me to plan to fly to either of these events but is there or will there be a way to plug into any kind of shortwing groups? I think I recall that there was a mass Cub arrival a couple of years ago into Ohskosh. I'm planning on being there (KOSH) just not certain if I'll arrive on four wheels or three..

Jim
01-16-2021, 03:57 PM
Hi,

I'm hoping not, but I'd bet neither of those events happen again this year.

mongoose09
01-17-2021, 09:27 AM
Sun n Fun will happen, OSH will not. This is my prediction based on what I saw, heard and experienced at the Holiday Fly In last month in Lakeland. It’s simply a Red state/Blue state thing, nothing more.

Subsonic
01-19-2021, 12:48 AM
I agree. So sad. Red vs. Blue, that is. So we'll meet in my "backyard" in Lakeland. Don't be intimidated by the rules of flying in and "executing the procedure". I have 240 hours total time flying and it was a piece of cake when I went there Dec. 5, 2020. Inbound, I had to do two 360's at the water tower for the poor controller guy trying to land two jets and a J3 in front of me. Just show up! Time to get back to normal. Lets' go. The controllers are Awesome. Talk to you like they know you. Getting in was no problem. Great air show. Cool people. When I was in the conga line taxi way leaving for the day I had a trio of big radial biplane tail draggers in front of me leaving in formation. Cool. Got a bit mesmerized by them and the controller was asking "who's next on the South side". I was slow to realize where I was on the airport and that was me. There is a north and south entrance to the east -west runway. (don't ask me the numbers right now) I answered and He was forgiving...he asked if I was ready and I replied yes, and he cleared me for TO. I rolled out and announced departure properly. Halfway down the runway at 250-300 feet in altitude or so he said, "Tri-Pacer, xxxxx, you can start your left turn". 737 Jet was one mile out for landing on my tail. Really good experience.

Marty57
01-21-2021, 12:56 PM
I think it will come down to a recommendation of each event's insurance carrier along with state recommendations. It depends on what the insurer is willing to accept and the levels of coverage. The state may say go but if the insurance company nixes it, it won't happen. I work at SNF, Airventure, and the Alaskan Airmans Show; the Alaska event has been taking sign ups for vendors but not taking any deposits as they don't want to have to refund money like last year. Time will tell.
Marty57

Pacer42Z
01-22-2021, 09:01 AM
I hope we get enough people vaccinated so both events can take place.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

dgapilot
01-22-2021, 09:14 AM
If they get canceled, there will still be Blakesburg! The biggest aviation event of 2020 had about 300 airplanes. I’m sure they will hold it this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

akflyer
01-22-2021, 10:42 AM
OSH is happening this year. I watched the webinar last night and we were assured that no matter what, OSH was happening this year.

T. Bix
01-22-2021, 06:57 PM
Okay sooo all the debating aside, back to the original question... :) Is there or will there be a way to plug into any kind of group thing for us "Shortwingers"? Is there a secret handshake (elbow bump) or high sign?

Subsonic
01-22-2021, 07:38 PM
Okay sooo all the debating aside, back to the original question... :) Is there or will there be a way to plug into any kind of group thing for us "Shortwingers"? Is there a secret handshake (elbow bump) or high sign?
I will personally wear my "shortwingpipers.org" superior modified (crown button removed and Hand Sewn) cap as my secret decoder ring.
-Subsonic

Steve Pierce
01-23-2021, 07:50 AM
I will schedule a forum at both events as well.

T. Bix
01-23-2021, 10:41 AM
I will personally wear my "shortwingpipers.org" superior modified (crown button removed and Hand Sewn) cap as my secret decoder ring.
-Subsonic
Oh Good! I was afraid if we all wore "propeller Beanies" we'd get mixed up with the Ercoupe guys... Kidding of course...

Gerg
01-29-2021, 06:31 AM
I heard Shortwings are featured this year at Osh.

T. Bix
01-29-2021, 11:18 AM
I heard Shortwings are featured this year at Osh.
I wonder if there'll be a mass arrival event like the cub guys did a couple of years back. If so, also wonder if there will be a way to plug into it...

Gilbert Pierce
01-29-2021, 12:44 PM
OSH has figured out mass arrivals are bad. The ShortWing arrival will be one minute in trail which turns out to be about 1.5 (1.66)miles at 100 mph. Much safer. The ShortWing group arrival in 2009 in my opinion, though well planed and briefed, turned into an almost disaster. I bailed out, got away from it and flew in the regular Fisk approach.

The ShortWing Piper Club is organizing the arrival. WWW.Shortwingpiperclub.org

Subsonic
01-29-2021, 01:28 PM
OSH has figured out mass arrivals are bad. The ShortWing arrival will be one minute in trail which turns out to be about 1.5 (1.66)miles at 100 mph. Much safer. The ShortWing group arrival in 2009 in my opinion, though well planed and briefed, turned into an almost disaster. I bailed out, got away from it and flew in the regular Fisk approach.

The ShortWing Piper Club is organizing the arrival. WWW.Shortwingpiperclub.org (http://WWW.Shortwingpiperclub.org)

Oh, come on Gilbert, you can't leave us hangin' like that. What happened in 2009? :o

Jim
02-04-2021, 07:29 PM
Hi,

They're trying.

https://eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/02-04-2021-A-New-Era-AirVenture-Planning-Through-Unknowns?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWmpSa1l6STRZV1V6TURWbCIsI nQiOiJkdzk0NDRZajNJbDc1MHdBN2RUZEJqUXI5bnpLZ0RSb0J nN1JEellcLzFMWGZSS1YwZ21cL2RzenlwY0tYWEVxOG9XeG9Fd Udodm85czNpOUlEdnlmeUwrZGZVTXRGS0hjMmFONUc3WXBLQUR oY3F3SW1kUHM2SXJXbG5OTFgxOXh1In0%3D

thebeerdedpilot
02-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Question for those that have flown to OSH. This will be my first time flying and camping next to the plane at OSH. Do they always direct the vintage birds to the vintage area? Or is there the possibility that they'll park you by the north end of the field?

Pacer42Z
02-08-2021, 02:53 PM
Question for those that have flown to OSH. This will be my first time flying and camping next to the plane at OSH. Do they always direct the vintage birds to the vintage area? Or is there the possibility that they'll park you by the north end of the field?

Depends how much room there is in the Vintage area. When it's full they will park you anywhere where is space. One year I was way South. We called it "North Fond du Lac".

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

thebeerdedpilot
02-08-2021, 02:56 PM
Thanks!! I am hoping go for the full week as I have a TON of vacation time to use up. I'm hoping for some good weather!

Depends how much room there is in the Vintage area. When it's full they will park you anywhere where is space. One year I was way South. We called it "North Fond du Lac".

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Frank Green
02-08-2021, 03:45 PM

Make sure you read the notam and understand it. There are youtubes of people flying in, watch a few. When you make your signs use card stock not paper and make them large and bold. Imagine your the marshaller trying to understand a half folded over piece of paper scribbled in route. I'm usually in the back seat of a RV8 with the canopy open trying to hold up my signs in the prop blast.

grbamford
02-09-2021, 05:50 AM
Hi,

They're trying.

https://eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/02-04-2021-A-New-Era-AirVenture-Planning-Through-Unknowns?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWmpSa1l6STRZV1V6TURWbCIsI nQiOiJkdzk0NDRZajNJbDc1MHdBN2RUZEJqUXI5bnpLZ0RSb0J nN1JEellcLzFMWGZSS1YwZ21cL2RzenlwY0tYWEVxOG9XeG9Fd Udodm85czNpOUlEdnlmeUwrZGZVTXRGS0hjMmFONUc3WXBLQUR oY3F3SW1kUHM2SXJXbG5OTFgxOXh1In0%3D

That's a great link. I hadn't seen it yet. Gives you a good feeling that they are trying to get us back together. I'm looking forward to parking in a forest of Shortwings.....

Wag-builder
02-11-2021, 01:06 AM
Okay guys, here is what is planned right now from the SWPC. The convention will be held at Lock Haven on June 21 through 25 along with Sentimental Journey, providing the state of Pennsylvania allows it to happen. Then we will stage at Baraboo WI for our arrival into OSH. Starting July 21 we will be arriving at KDLL with a brief on Friday July 23 for our departure into OSH on Saturday morning. As Gilbert pointed out, we will launch airplanes at 1 minute intervals to provide spacing and a continuous trail of Short Wing Pipers into Oshkosh. The first 50 planes will parked as a group in Vintage. As long as this Covid thing doesn't get in the way, we will have a really good time this year. A lot of people have been working on this for a long time and we hope to get as many people to attend as possible and make this a really good year of friends and fellowship!

More detail will come soon,

Steve

Jim
03-12-2021, 05:06 PM
Hi,

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/03-10-2021-welcome-2021?mkt_tok=OTEwLVNFVS0wNzMAAAF7xxqxC4uD7OnS3GR4I aOf-xHjbPN3uaZyqcBK9iHto6nBra7-Ltp6i2_O2g3Gc-YzSuOCc30FmJH7RZCGXhmVAxAmg9m48regkvKvIRyyRlw

J Ryd
04-06-2021, 11:21 AM
Okay guys, here is what is planned right now from the SWPC. The convention will be held at Lock Haven on June 21 through 25 along with Sentimental Journey, providing the state of Pennsylvania allows it to happen. Then we will stage at Baraboo WI for our arrival into OSH. Starting July 21 we will be arriving at KDLL with a brief on Friday July 23 for our departure into OSH on Saturday morning. As Gilbert pointed out, we will launch airplanes at 1 minute intervals to provide spacing and a continuous trail of Short Wing Pipers into Oshkosh. The first 50 planes will parked as a group in Vintage. As long as this Covid thing doesn't get in the way, we will have a really good time this year. A lot of people have been working on this for a long time and we hope to get as many people to attend as possible and make this a really good year of friends and fellowship!

More detail will come soon,

SteveLike Jeurgen, I'm putting together some summer flying plans. Having never been to OSH, I'd like to really make this happen this year. Just need to find someone willing to fly shotgun fron Denver. Any other Shortwingers coming from this direction for a flight of 2 or more?

Jan

thebeerdedpilot
04-06-2021, 11:23 AM
Like Jeurgen, I'm putting together some summer flying plans. Having never been to OSH, I'd like to really make this happen this year. Just need to find someone willing to fly shotgun fron Denver. Any other Shortwingers coming from this direction for a flight of 2 or more?

Jan

I would definitely meet up with others somewhere in Wisco. I'm about an hour from OSH.

J Ryd
04-07-2021, 09:13 PM
I'm thinking of flying up to Baraboo KDLL on the 22nd or 23rd, then fly into OSH on Saturday. Really! Just two of us interested?

Jan

Pacer42Z
04-08-2021, 05:41 AM
I have my calendar blocked to come up to KDLL and then stay at OSH the whole week. I’ll fly to OSH in June for a “work week” to help prepare the grounds.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

grbamford
04-08-2021, 06:51 AM
I'm in the midst of changing jobs/locations this summer. As soon as I know my schedule I'll be in or out. Sound ambiguous? Sure seems the way things are going this year.... Interested...heck yeah!

Greg

Pacer42Z
04-08-2021, 07:19 AM
Greg, would be nice to hook up again. It has been awhile.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

grbamford
04-08-2021, 08:10 AM
I agree Juergen! I'm looking forward to some flying adventures this year.

Greg

Jim Hann
04-09-2021, 01:29 AM
I don’t know my schedule yet. If I have the time I might be up for it. I’ll keep it in mind. Juergen, it would be good to see you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zac Weidner
04-09-2021, 07:24 AM
I'm planning to attend, hopefully all week depending on timing of the crops and spraying over the summer. One of us will more than likely plan to participate in the arrival procedure, it sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully it goes better than '09 and the weather doesn't add to the confusion like it did then. I will have to draw straws between my wife and father for PIC on the arrival. Let's hope it all shapes up this year, as I'm past due for getting my airplane fix in for the year. Sun-N-Fun isn't an option as it's right in the midst of planting season 9 out of 10 years, this being one of them.

Jim Hann
04-10-2021, 09:14 PM
"They" (I'm one of them) will park you where your sign says unless you don't qualify (i.e. homebuilt). I normally park up in the N40 with my Pacer because I volunteer up there and it makes my walk a lot shorter. Like Juergen I've ended up in "North Fond du Lac" and I don't want to get up at 0400 to volunteer at 0640! I MIGHT try to park with the other Shortwings if they have special parking for us like they did the Cubs and such over the years. As I said earlier, I won't know my schedule until about mid June, so I may not get to join in the festivities.

Jim

Jim
04-13-2021, 07:54 AM
Hi,

My daughter Abby is a manager at Banyon Air Services pilot shop working out of Ft. Lauderdale and will be representing their services this year at Sun-n-fun. Banyon is sharing space at both locations with the Bahamas Customs Services, so, if you're interested in either pilot supplies or traveling to the Bahamas please stop in there for a visit and their freebees. I'm sure she would like it also if you just stopped in to say Hi, She's been in our Pacer since before she was born.

Steve Pierce
04-13-2021, 07:57 AM
Watch those Super Cubs Jim. ;)

Subsonic
04-15-2021, 08:16 PM
So I’ve been here at sun and fun for the last two days walking all over, 10 miles a day, checking all the planes parked in GAP and VAC (vintage) and I haven’t seen or found any of you yet. I’m wearing my swpo hat. I found a very nice tri-pacer the same color as mine (sun valley ivory) for sale for $68,500. Beautiful full restoration 5 years ago. Low time engine, disc brakes, nice interior, great panel with new 6 pack steam gages and Garmin avionics mix (650 gtn, 345, g5, full IFR cert),etc. I think short wings are going up in price. As near as I can tell there are only five or 6 short wings here. Where are you guys? The weather is great, and the blue angels are rocking it in. Wish you were here.

Steve Pierce
04-16-2021, 07:21 AM
Had to miss this year, hopefully be back next year.

blue44
04-16-2021, 02:56 PM
I MIGHT try to park with the other Shortwings if they have special parking for us like they did the Cubs and such over the years...

Jim is it for real that the featured model this year is the SWP ? Heard it a couple of times but haven't seen it in print yet... Cheers

Jim Hann
04-16-2021, 05:03 PM
Jim is it for real that the featured model this year is the SWP ? Heard it a couple of times but haven't seen it in print yet... Cheers
Yes, it was in the last issue of the Vintage Aircraft magazine. It's called "22s in 21" as of now. Clipped this from the VAA website.