PDA

View Full Version : Idaho in October?

Pacer42Z
03-29-2021, 08:23 AM
I'm planning my annual trip out West. I want to fly the Idaho backcountry. I will stay at Johnson Creek and then do daily trips in the area. The High Sierra Fly-in at the Dead Cow lakebed is scheduled for the middle of October. I'm thinking about spending a week in Idaho and then flying down to the Dead Cow lake bed in Nevada before starting my trip back to Virginia.
How will the weather (most likely) be in Idaho the beginning to the middle of October? How cold does it get there at that time of the year? Do they already get snow there? Idaho is my first priority, but it would be great to combine it with the High Sierra fly-in.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Glen Geller
03-29-2021, 05:07 PM
There is a webcam at Johnson Creek, and there USED TO be several websites that shared it.
This one is still active but has limited info.
http://www.ruralnetwork.net/~yellowpinecm/

This one has time lapse but only quarterly, so you never see "October".
https://webcams.windy.com/webcams/public/embed/player/1350100802/lifetime?token=see.cam
View on a real computer in full screen mode, there is a time stamp in upper right corner.

Early October is probably doable but be sure you do a very thorough weather briefing, so you don't wake up one morning covered in snow.

JC is great, very fun, an exciting flight and a beautiful strip.
Be sure to visit the hot spring bathtub up the hill to the west, it worth the hike.

GG

Pacer42Z
03-29-2021, 06:50 PM
Thanks Glen, most of the November time laps showed snow on the ground. Maybe going in September is a safer option. I just can't make the Dead Cow lakebed then. On the other hand, I could visit Montana on the way. I have never been there.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Steve Pierce
03-30-2021, 06:44 AM
I have only been to JC in June and it can be in the low 30s quite a bit at night. We are shooting for father's Day weekend.

akt
03-31-2021, 09:59 PM
I think the caretakers drain the lines and close up at JC around the end of September.

Stephen
03-31-2021, 10:00 PM
I have only been to JC in June and it can be in the low 30s quite a bit at night. We are shooting for father's Day weekend.

That is my goal too.

Pacer42Z
04-01-2021, 05:54 AM
I think the caretakers drain the lines and close up at JC around the end of September.

That is good to know. I’ll move my schedule to end of August/early September. Unfortunately, no High Sierra fly in for me this year.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

RobertC
04-01-2021, 11:45 AM
Juergen, the September and October weather can be some of the nicest flying of the year. The nights at the Idaho backcountry airstrips will be below freezing, unless you go to some of the lowers strips like Moose Creek,Shearer. October can bring snow, so look ahead. The caretakers at the state run strips will be gone but the strips are still available, the operators of the Flying B and Root Ranch are there for hunters. No camping at those places but they do rent cabins. Big Creek also stays open later for hunters. You can make it work with a little planning and have a very pleasant time.

Pacer42Z
04-01-2021, 12:15 PM
Robert, that is also a good thought. I am very flexible as far as my schedule. The only thing is the registration fee for the High Sierra fly-in. I like camping, but not when it gets down to freezing. As you suggested, I can rent a cabin at Flying B or Root Ranch. Another option would be a hotel at McCall.

Thanks for the advise, I have never been to Idaho.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Subsonic
04-04-2021, 09:58 PM
I'm planning my annual trip out West. I want to fly the Idaho backcountry. I will stay at Johnson Creek and then do daily trips in the area. The High Sierra Fly-in at the Dead Cow lakebed is scheduled for the middle of October. I'm thinking about spending a week in Idaho and then flying down to the Dead Cow lake bed in Nevada before starting my trip back to Virginia.
How will the weather (most likely) be in Idaho the beginning to the middle of October? How cold does it get there at that time of the year? Do they already get snow there? Idaho is my first priority, but it would be great to combine it with the High Sierra fly-in.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z
I lived my whole life in the west. It WILL BE HIGHLY variable during that time. Anywhere from Indian Summer to Arctic Freeze. Just go with the forecasts a few days out and HEED them. I will probably try to join you this year. Don't fly if its looking ugly, trust me, unless you're good with setting down in strange places in a moment. Very few can do that.

Pacer42Z
04-05-2021, 05:53 AM
Because JC will close down the end of September, we decided to go end of August/beginning of September. I’ll fly my Pacer and a friend of mine his RV-7A. He will leave his plane at McCall and we’ll use the Pacer to camp at JC and explore the backcountry strips. If it gets too cold at night, we will divert to a hotel at McCall.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

idahopacer
07-21-2021, 11:45 PM
Smoke from the California and Oregon fires has been making for terrible visibility in McCall for this whole summer so far and the fire season is usually just starting at this time, I heard that the FAA will be putting up it's temporary tower this week in anticipation of of fire fighting activity here. Visibility has been 5-10 miles all summer and that's been very optimistic. Just a heads up. Temps in McCall have been high 80's to mid 90's for over a month now with lows in the 50's.

Pacer42Z
07-22-2021, 05:25 AM
I have been keeping an eye on it. I’m pretty flexible with my travel schedule. If Idaho is too bad this year because of visibility, then I may have to pick some other destination out West. Although, the smoke made it all the way to the East coast, so not sure where it would be better. Anyhow, I want to get my annual dose of backcountry flying.

Jürgen
Pacer N3342Z

Pacer42Z
08-02-2021, 05:28 PM
How is the smoke situation in Idaho? I am planning to get there the third or fourth week this month, when the temperature is still above freezing at night so I can stay at Johnson Creek camping.

Jürgen
Pacer N3342Z

Glen Geller
08-02-2021, 05:53 PM
Hi Jurgen,
I just looked at the JC Webcam, looks kinda crummy today, tho several planes are there:
http://www.ruralnetwork.net/~yellowpinecm/

McCall Airport Webcam:
https://www.mccall.id.us/departments/Airport/airport-web-cam

A call to 800-WX-BRIEF could shed some light on current conditions along your intended route.

Be safe,
GG

Steve Pierce
08-02-2021, 05:55 PM
Looking bad.

Pacer42Z
08-02-2021, 07:46 PM
It does look pretty bad. I keep forgetting about the Webcams. I put them into my favorites now and will keep monitoring them. I wait two weeks before making my final decision about Idaho. I will go somewhere though to get my backcountry flying fix.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Steve Pierce
08-03-2021, 06:20 AM
Arkansas is gonna be fun this fall.

ysifly2
08-03-2021, 10:22 AM
Arkansas is gonna be fun this fall.

Is that for the STOL “races”?
When and where is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Pierce
08-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Is that for the STOL “races”?
When and where is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, at Byrd's Adventure Center the first weekend in October. Will be there all week.

Pacer42Z
08-03-2021, 03:51 PM
Steve, sounds really interesting. I just looked it up, it is less than 800 NM from Winchester. I can do that easy in one day. I keep this in mind as a back up if Idaho doesn't work out this year.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

idahopacer
08-07-2021, 12:25 AM
Some monsoonal rain last week and a front with lots of lightning last night cleaned up the air for a few hours but the smoke rolled back in today, just doesn't want to clear up this year.

Pacer42Z
08-07-2021, 06:24 AM
It will probably take a long time to clear. I feel for the people who lost their properties in theses fires.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

RobertC
08-09-2021, 10:51 PM
Juergen, smoke yesterday but today was great visibility. My son flew from South East Idaho to Arlington, Washington direct today and had excellent visibility, some haze, the whole flight. His flight took him over the Frank Church wilderness area and it was wide open. It varies from day to day, but as we get closer to fall, the nights are cooler with higher humidity and the fires tend to die down at night. What happens during the following day will depend on the winds. When you get closer to the time you want to head out, let me know and maybe I will have a sense of what is going on. I'm pretty good at throwing a handful of chicken bones on the ground and coming up with an answer. If you do come out this way, it will give me an excuse to commit aviation.

Pacer42Z
08-10-2021, 05:58 AM
Juergen, smoke yesterday but today was great visibility. My son flew from South East Idaho to Arlington, Washington direct today and had excellent visibility, some haze, the whole flight. His flight took him over the Frank Church wilderness area and it was wide open. It varies from day to day, but as we get closer to fall, the nights are cooler with higher humidity and the fires tend to die down at night. What happens during the following day will depend on the winds. When you get closer to the time you want to head out, let me know and maybe I will have a sense of what is going on. I'm pretty good at throwing a handful of chicken bones on the ground and coming up with an answer. If you do come out this way, it will give me an excuse to commit aviation.

Thanks a lot, I am hopeful the smoke will clear out by the middle of September. The temperature at night might be still OK for camping. If it’s too cold, then I stay at McCall in a hotel.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Pacer42Z
09-06-2021, 06:02 AM
I’m planning to be in McCall next Sunday. Stay in a hotel the first night and then over to Johnson creek on Monday the 13th. Will see how cold it feels at night. If it’s too cold, then back to McCall to stay in a hotel. I’ve been monitoring the Webcams and I think it looks OK (I hope).

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Steve Pierce
09-06-2021, 07:01 AM
Silver Creek yesterday, very sad.

Pacer42Z
09-06-2021, 08:10 AM
Yes, very sad and so many people have lost their homes.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Pacer42Z
09-15-2021, 07:52 AM
After covering 1,719 NM in two days, I arrived at McCall Idaho on Sunday. Close to Johnson Creek I flew through smoke that was so thick it felt like I was flying IFR. Nevertheless, when I flew over Johnson Creek it was clear weather with good visibility. Flew into Johnson creek and Reed Ranch on Monday with really clear condition. Yesterday (Tuesday), I tried to get into Thomas Creek and Mahoney Creek, it was clear all the way until I got within 6 Miles of Thomas Creek, but the valleys below were covered in (I believe) smoke. I turned around and flew into Landmark.

I'll stay until the end of the week and pick more locations that are in the clear. The temperatures are too low at night for me to camp, so I'm staying at McCall. When I'm done here I'm off to Bozeman, MT to meet up with my wife. We will fly and drive Yellowstone for a couple of days. Then off to Mount Rushmore before we start hitting back home.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

RobertC
09-15-2021, 10:50 AM
Don’t forget breakfast stops. Flying B, Root Ranch, and if they are open Sulphur Creek.

RobertC
09-15-2021, 10:51 AM
On your way to Bozeman, stop by Rexburg, KRXE, I’m good for lunch.

Pacer42Z
09-15-2021, 03:39 PM
Went to Cabin Creek and Big Creek (for brunch) today. Cabin Creek is a need little strip. One of the pictures is on short final to Cabin Creek.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Steve Pierce
09-15-2021, 03:42 PM
Cabin Creek is an intimidating approach the first time. The guy I went in with the first time had us do a figure 8 over and out giving us a feel for the go around. Neat place. I haven't been to cabin Creek since they rebuilt the lodge. Caught some good updrafts off that ride to the left on the way out.

Pacer42Z
09-15-2021, 07:19 PM
Yes, quite intimidating, it reminded me of flying into Hidden Splendor in Utah. I stayed high and took a close look at the terrain before I went into the canyon to land. The lodge is very nice. They even have internet! It's the first time for me to be in Idaho and I love it.

Juergen
Pacer N33342Z

Pacer42Z
09-15-2021, 07:24 PM

I'll keep it in mind, but the forecast (so far) is for the wind to pick up quite a bit in the early afternoon. I may leave McCall early and go straight to Bozeman to beat the turbulence. Sunday I left Sheridan, MT to McCall when a forecast for low level turbulence and wind shear was in affect. it wasn't the most fun flying crossing the mountains. I was glad my wife wasn't with me in the Pacer.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Pacer42Z
09-18-2021, 07:33 AM

Sorry I didn’t make it. Left McCall yesterday with a forecast for Bozeman for the wind to pick up just after noon. Hindsight, the wind didn’t pick up as much as forecasted.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Pacer42Z
09-22-2021, 04:36 PM
Met up with my wife at Bozeman, MT. From there we flew to West Yellowstone to spend two days at the park. Today was a good day to fly over it. Old Faithful spews every 90 minutes. How lucky can you be to get there just when it starts? We really enjoyed seeing Grand Prismatic Spring from the air. Next will be to start tracking back east towards Winchester, VA. We will stop at Mt. Rushmore to take a look next.

Aren't we blessed to fly our airplanes around this great country?

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

Steve Pierce
09-22-2021, 05:03 PM
Aren't we blessed to fly our airplanes around this great country?
Juergen, I say that a lot. Normal people who don't fly small airplanes have no idea.

Old3pacer
09-27-2021, 04:08 PM
Beautiful pics and details - thanks for sharing!!!

you are so right-we are blessed to enjoy the freedom of our travel machines

Pacer42Z
09-27-2021, 04:36 PM
I had a blast on this trip and really enjoyed that my wife joined me at Yellowstone and flew part of the way back with me. I am editing a lot of footage and posted the first YouTube video on my channel. There will be probably six videos about the Idaho backcountry. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtetI5TjM7akKWdPeFZ5fLUTWQl1C3kUj

Next year I am planning to fly the Pacer to Southeastern Utah and Arizona.

Juergen
Pacer N3342Z

DH46
09-27-2021, 07:25 PM
Awesome video as always Juergen, I am looking forward to all 6!

Dave

Subsonic
09-28-2021, 06:42 PM
Juergen,
Thanks for the share. I drove with my son from CA to ME in a Mercedes sedan - late August - He said he couldn't bear to sell the car to make that move. Ok - His family flew, while we drove. We did 6 days of hotel hopping but seeing some grand sites along the way. Stopped in Yellowstone - Stood too close to some Bison, hiked up to the top, walked around the paint pots, and watched Old Faithful do it's thing - and did the Mt. Rushmore tour also. Bought the T-shirt and sand cast Presidents for the display case. I will go back to see them both from the air in my TP, probably next spring when I visit my brother in AK. Agree with all, our country is fantastic to see from the air. You know, I think this site needs a picture posting location - pics of air travels...maybe? just a thought.