PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh 2022 SWP gathering ???

mholton63
04-06-2022, 01:44 PM
I missed the Air Venture 2021 and Tri-Pacer 70th anniversary last year (No Plane). Just wondering if there will be a gathering of short wings this year 2022.

J Ryd
04-06-2022, 02:55 PM
The Short Wing Piper Convention is June 22-25 at K15. Unfortunately, I've got something happening then :-(

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

KenWarren
06-19-2022, 02:12 PM
Interesting! I will have to see what the weather is like next weekend. Maybe I can fly down for that. I bought a Colt with tailwheel conversion in December and trying to learn from the group. I'd also love to find a meet-up at OSH.

Subsonic
07-18-2022, 02:31 PM
I'll bet they have lower attendance this year simply because of fuel costs. Avg. blue gas cost $7.50, or so? That works out to about 60 bucks every hour (110 miles) or so for my PA22-150.

Wag-builder
07-18-2022, 06:25 PM
We are not having a gathering at Oshkosh this year. I will be at the type club table in the red hangar in Vintage every afternoon, stop by and say hi. Last year was great with everyone attending, but it was a lot of work to coordinate and takes about two years, so maybe for the 75th we will do it all again.

Hope to see everyone there,

Steve

Steve Pierce
07-19-2022, 05:50 AM
My Dad and I will be in the Red Clipper behind the Hangar Cafe with several other Short and not so Short Wingers.

Frank Green
07-19-2022, 07:24 AM
Gonna be different this year for sure. Not much has been said but Ford pulled it's sponsorship last spring. No Ford pavilion. No opening concert. No chapter presidents reception, not to many knew about that but it was nice recognition for us chapter presidents. Fly market is now $4K per space, so lots of pots and pans, sharp knives, and not much AC stuff. Remember when it used to be a AC parts flee market? Wonder if Lincoln and Miller will be back. Missed playing with their new stuff last year. Me, if I make it will be in the back of homebuilt camping by the nature center. Back seat in a RV8 is a quick way to get to OSH. Great group, out of the way, quiet except for the bands at the beer garden.

Steve Pierce
07-19-2022, 07:55 AM
I won't miss Ford myself. My favorite part of Oshkosh is sitting under the wing and meeting people and catching up with others. We met a guy last year who escaped to the dorms during the big storm. He had a Stinson parked behind us and stopped by to ask how bad the storm was. An hour later my Dad and I were way more educated on Franklin engines and had made a new friend. Yes, Oshkosh has changed over the years but the people haven't for the most part and that is what I enjoy.

Stephen
07-19-2022, 11:46 AM
"...not so shortwinger"? Oh, you must be referring to Bob C. Bob, remember it 90 knots on the OSH approach.

I'll have to clean up my plane, before I'll be allowed to park near Gilbert. Damn.

Frank Green
07-19-2022, 03:02 PM
I won't miss Ford myself. My favorite part of Oshkosh is sitting under the wing and meeting people and catching up with others. We met a guy last year who escaped to the dorms during the big storm. He had a Stinson parked behind us and stopped by to ask how bad the storm was. An hour later my Dad and I were way more educated on Franklin engines and had made a new friend. Yes, Oshkosh has changed over the years but the people haven't for the most part and that is what I enjoy.

Yea couldn't understand why Ford got so big other than the drive in folks exposure. Maybe OSH will get the message and get a little more back to it's roots the way Paul would have it. Has gotten way to commercial. I do my best to avoid certain areas, like the flight line in the afternoon.

Gilbert Pierce
07-19-2022, 04:05 PM
"...not so shortwinger"? Oh, you must be referring to Bob C. Bob, remember it 90 knots on the OSH approach.

I'll have to clean up my plane, before I'll be allowed to park near Gilbert. Damn.

knowing that you would try to show me up I spent extra time detailing.haha.
I am looking forward to seeing all your modifications. Haven’t seen it since you were parked next to me in 2013. I am also looking forward the conversation with you and Super Cub Steve on the relative merits of each.
Same mission different approach.

Gilbert Pierce
07-19-2022, 04:07 PM
Has gotten way to commercial. I do my best to avoid certain areas, like the flight line in the afternoon.
Absolutely, that’s when I get my daily shower.

Stephen
07-19-2022, 04:26 PM
knowing that you would try to show me up I spent extra time detailing.haha.
I am looking forward to seeing all your modifications. Haven’t seen it since you were parked next to me in 2013. I am also looking forward the conversation with you and Super Cub Steve on the relative merits of each.
Same mission different approach.

That's my SOP at fly-ins with airshows. No lines and I've seen most everything in my almost 60 years of flying.

I did vacuum out my plane..cut weight.

Brian
07-19-2022, 07:50 PM
Got here Sunday and not much set up. Today the Red Barn Grocery store opened and the new to me this year private shower stalls were opened. Subway opens up serving breakfast and lunch tomorrow. Several aircraft rolled into this vintage parking area today but still lots of available spaces. The Pirates Cove group did stake out 10 or more spaces on the West end next to where they serve up the nightly Grog, Margaritas, and Ale. So far the weather has been great. No rain and actually on the mild side temperature wise.

20973 20972

rblumhorst
07-20-2022, 09:29 AM
Hi Steve - Sorry to see no group fly-in, but I understand the work involved to organize it all. Thanks again for putting the Grand Glaize fly-in together. We're planning to arrive Sunday late afternoon 7/24.
Got type club parking near the Red Barn? If so, please save us a spot if possible.

Best, Rick
N9643D

Steve Pierce
07-20-2022, 11:17 AM
Hi Steve - Sorry to see no group fly-in, but I understand the work involved to organize it all. Thanks again for putting the Grand Glaize fly-in together. We're planning to arrive Sunday late afternoon 7/24.
Got type club parking near the Red Barn? If so, please save us a spot if possible.

Best, Rick
N9643D
I bet you don't see another Short Wing mass arrival. Every time I have seen it done there were scary stories. Those Bonanzas etc have massive formation clinics to do it safely.

Frank Green
07-20-2022, 11:31 AM
I bet you don't see another Short Wing mass arrival. Every time I have seen it done there were scary stories. Those Bonanzas etc have massive formation clinics to do it safely.

It's interesting enough coming in solo. That's why I prefer the back seat of a RV8. I'm the 360 degree spotter why my buddy concentrates on flying the airplane up front. Especially if you end up in a holding pattern. Also we come in Wed. or Thur and stay till Sat. or Sun. Right now weather looks like Wed.

RobertC
07-20-2022, 11:56 AM

I hope most of my anger will have subsided by the time I arrive.

Brian
07-20-2022, 05:17 PM
Quite a number of Classic and Contemporary A/C came in today as well as 3 antiques. But no Short-wings so far. The Pirates Cove folks started arriving today, mostly Bonanza’s. In the distance you can them setting up their concession. Looks like rain to the West but not much of significance showing on radar. Seems like it crossed to the North.

Brian
07-22-2022, 09:39 AM
Starting to pick up arrival wise yesterday and today.
One slightly modified Shortwing rolled in yesterday and parked beside me.

Brian
07-23-2022, 04:31 PM
B2OSH Bonanza and Barron arrivals came in today in mass.

Brian
07-23-2022, 04:37 PM
Kevin and Zak arrived in the Twin-Co followed later by Gilbert and Steve in the Clipper.

Brian
07-23-2022, 09:01 PM
Endured our first OSH 2022 weather event this evening.
Significant winds, rain, and some not too distant lighting strikes.

Brian
08-16-2022, 11:05 PM
We enjoyed some cool dry days leading up to opening day for OSH this year with strong winds out of the West, creating difficulty for many aircraft landing on 36L. Found this Youtube video with 20 Minutes of non stop crosswind landings. About 7 min in the video captures a C-180 ground-looping resulting in right wing tip and right horz stab damage. Stephen and I saw this incident live from a distance and later examined the aircraft up close parked in the aircraft sickbay repair area of Vintage. Nice job of landing a tripacer about 4:55 min in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EsxiRdQPUvI