PDA

View Full Version : PA-22 gear conversion to PA-20.

Bill Wood
10-07-2022, 06:28 AM
Hi Guys,
Well i have just acquired my first Piper rebuild project , a Tri-Pacer down in sunny South Africa which i intend to convert to a Pacer, my query is about the gear conversion, besides going the Univair or Airframe Alaska route which is extremely expensive when USD to SA Rands by 18, is there anyone that knows if there's any plans out there for this mod or plans for a jig to be able to build the gear from scratch.

It did'nt take long to realise that it's not a simple switch of L to R and vice versa it requires major re-work of the existing gear almost to the point that it would be easier to just build a new gear.

Also does the STC require the area to be beefed -up as part of this mod.

Looking forward to any help with the above.

Thanks
Bill

Stephen
10-07-2022, 10:07 AM
The Super STC has plans for a conversion, modifying the Tri Pacer gear. You can buy the STC and use only the gear plans.

Steve Pierce
10-08-2022, 08:40 AM
Univair, Eddie Trimmer and Raven are the only ones I know of. Trimmer uses PA18 gear and is a lot of structure added. Univair and probably Raven has you configure the PA22 to same as PA20.

Brian
10-08-2022, 12:11 PM
Hi Bill,
Where we were parked at Airventure this year we had some friendly talkative lads stop by for a chat a couple times who were from South Africa. They were part of the Sling LSA aircraft group that flew to OSH over the pond. 16 hour crossing. One gent was from Zimbabwe as I recall.
My advice, take it or not, would be to restore your PA22 to stock trigear configuration, and once finished sell it and buy a nice 22/20 for about same amount. You will enjoy the same restoration process which can take years, and end up flying a TW Pacer in roughly same time frame. Here in the US 22/20’s are so common they sell for similar prices as the nice 22’s of similar condition and equipment.

South Africa to Oshkosh in the Sling4

https://slingaircraft.com/l

Bill Wood
11-22-2022, 02:06 AM
Thanks to Stephen, Steve and Brian for your replies and inputs, most appreciated.
Are there any plans out there other than buying the STC, also are the STC plans comprehensive enough to actually build a gear from them, i've heard they are more like a diagram of where to position the kit parts on the airframe.
The TriPacer that i am converting to Pacer will be registered into non certified category ( experimental) and of course the STC will certainly help with that process as well.
As i mentioned in my initial posting multiplying the USD into jungle money (x17.5) at the mo makes it very expensive and almost puts a damper on projects, but hey i will prevail and complete the project.
Brian , you are of course right in what you recommended, but in RSA there are not that many Pacer's floating around, and if there are they are whey too expensive.
I have had a jig made for the gear and in the process ready to start building new gear, and the plans is to build it as Piper did, it however would be nice to have a plan just to check we are not cocking up anywhere.
Thanks.

Steve Pierce
11-22-2022, 07:44 AM
The STCs have drawings for modifying the fuselage but not building the gear.

dgapilot
11-22-2022, 08:25 AM
The Short wing Piper drawing CD has the drawing for the Pacer gear, likewise use the drawing for the Pacer fuselage fittings to modify theTriPacer fuselage. Go to the Short Wing Piper club web page to buy the drawing cd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Pierce
11-22-2022, 08:59 AM
The Short wing Piper drawing CD has the drawing for the Pacer gear, likewise use the drawing for the Pacer fuselage fittings to modify theTriPacer fuselage. Go to the Short Wing Piper club web page to buy the drawing cd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had not seen the Pacer gear drawing. 12582 is not but the wider 13189 is. I had to look, I guess I forgot that drawing was there.

Stephen
11-22-2022, 10:38 AM
I had not seen the Pacer gear drawing. 12582 is not but the wider 13189 is. I had to look, I guess I forgot that drawing was there.

Does the the CD drawing show how to strengthen the fuselage? The fuselage work is extensive.

Bill Wood
11-22-2022, 12:55 PM
Thanks for that info, seems to be a good plan.
Rgds
Bill