PDA

View Full Version : Steve's Aircraft Skylight STC

stevesaircraft(Bri)
12-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi there.

As many of you know, we have a STC available for a skylight modification for the PA-16, 20 and 22.
I have had several people call about the skylight length. Right now it is limited to 21 inches aft of the windshield.
I have been thinking of amending the STC to included an optional lenght to extend the lenght as far aft as the
rear spar carry through tube. If anyone out there has been able to get thier skylight approved with a longer skylight
I would appreciate getting a copy of the paperwork to make it easier to get approval. I don't really see a problem
with getting approval, but the government loves paperwork.

Thanks in advance.

Brian.

Steve Pierce
12-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Brian, We did that on Clay's Clipper after talking to my PMI. Then he got forced into retirement before the paperwork got done. :x I will be meeting with the new AW supervisor after the Luscombe is done with a stack of Short Wing mods.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
12-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Steve,

You may want to hold off on getting a field approval for extending the skylight. I called my FAA guy up north and left a message that we want to do an amendment on the STC. I do not personally see any holdups on getting it amended to include 2 different lengths for the skylight mounting. When we get the appropriate paperwork I can send you a new copy that includes the optional length.

Brian.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
01-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have talked to the FAA about amending the skylight STC to have an optional length to the rear carry through tube. My guy said that it should be no big deal and to send him up some drawings and amended instalation instructions for the extended length. Will probably add a few more screws, but otherwise the installation will be the same way as it is now.

Brian.

Railman66
01-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Any news on that extension - I am about to start recovering and definitely want to pick up your 21" STC, however, bigger is always better! :lol:

stevesaircraft(Bri)
01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Started makeing a new drawing package. Updateing the intire STC in CAD. Once that is finished, send it all to the FAA with new installaion instructions for both lenghts and wait for approval.

Brian.

Steve Pierce
02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Brian, We were going to go ahead and install the extended skylight in Rex's fuselage. Anything we need to do different from the original STC? We are hoping to be done around the time you get the amendment. ;)

Steve Pierce
02-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Rex sat in my Pacer today and decided the extended sky light might be too much sun for the Texas summer 8-) so we installed the standard version. Rex will be calling you for the STC to keep everything legal. Thanks for the drawing etc. I will need them on the Clipper that is down in Houston waiting on some fabric. ;)

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Hello All,

This is the new drawing package so far,

[attachment=0:2kzgyauw]Skylight PDF.pdf[/attachment:2kzgyauw]

All I need to do now is amend the installation instructions and send in to the FAA

Brian.

Terry
02-13-2008, 12:17 AM
I was just about to order your skylite STC but wil wait until we hear its been approved as I also would like my to go further back.
Terry

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Hello All,

E-mailed the new drawing package, installation instructions, ectetera to my FAA guy today. Now it is a matter of waiting for approval.

Brian

smcnutt
02-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Rex sat in my Pacer today and decided the extended sky light might be too much sun for the Texas summer 8-)

Never seen a skylight installed so I don't know if theirs rooom but has anyone ever looked at putting some sort of retractable shade with the skylight mod? Might be way out in left field on this but it was just a thought.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Never seen a skylight installed so I don't know if theirs rooom but has anyone ever looked at putting some sort of retractable shade with the skylight mod? Might be way out in left field on this but it was just a thought.

The Pacers fabric former channels that wind up being used for the skylight mounting has a few standoffs that are welded vertically from the cross tubes. These standoff's are in the way for any type of retractable shade. Although, I have been thinking about some way to do that recently. We do the Annuals on a 2005 Maule and it has a retractable shade just like you have described. That aircraft has a large skylight with nothing in the way for the shade to work. I am going to look at the Pacer frame we have and see if I can design something that would work similarly that can be installed with our skylight STC. For now though, we use one of those static cling tinting shades that you can buy for cars that are made for your baby sitting in the back seat.

Brian.

Stephen
02-19-2008, 12:02 AM
The idea that a skylite will cause over heating in the cockpit seems a little over blown. Think of how many very popular low wing planes exist with full plexi glass canopies and continue to remain popular. I really don't think that a "little old "skylite is going to be that much of a problem. I had a skylite in my J-3 and flew if for years in So Cal, with no problems. Proper ventalitaion is the key, which is really not much of a problem is our planes. Use refletive material is it seems to be a problem. The improvement in visibility with a skylite in our shortwingers during a turn is truly remarkable.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-19-2008, 12:48 AM
For smcnutt:

Straight from our website.

http://www.stevesaircraft.com/images/SL1.jpg

http://www.stevesaircraft.com/images/SL3.jpg

http://www.stevesaircraft.com/skylightstc.php

The pictures are of our 1956 PA22/20. Skylight length is the standard length that we got approved in 1986. Note the vertical supports that are welded to the cross tubes up to the horizontal channel. These are factory stand offs. I have recently applied for an amendment to be able to get the skylight length either at the length in the pictures or to the rear spar carry through tube. We will modify ours to the extended length when we redo our fuselage.

Brian.

pa23pilot
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
hi i am doing a pa-17 can i use your sts?
thanks
doc

stevesaircraft(Bri)
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Our skylight STC is not approved on the PA-17. At the moment it is only approved on the PA-16, PA-20, and PA-22 series aircraft.

Brian.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
03-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Doc,

Was just looking at the PA-17 drawings. From what I can tell the upper frame is pretty much the same as the PA-16, 20 and 22's. I need to do a little more research as to dimentions, but it may be an easy one to get included into the STC.

Brian.

pa23pilot
03-09-2008, 11:30 AM
let me know.
thanks
doc

stevesaircraft(Bri)
04-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Just to let you all know, I have received approval on the skylight at either the 21 or 32 inch lengths. This is either at just in front of the speaker, or at the rear spar carry through tube. I also got approval of installation of the skylight in PA-15 and PA-17 Vagabonds at either length.

The STC is now approved for:

PA-15
PA-16, PA16S
PA-17
PA-20, PA-20S, PA-20 "115", PA-20S "115", PA-20 "135", PA-20S "135
PA-22, PA-22-108, PA-22-135, PA-22S-135, PA-22-150, PA-22S-150, PA-22-160, PA-22S-160

This is a paperwork only STC and does not include any material for the installation.
Thanks.

Brian.

Steve Pierce
04-01-2008, 08:14 PM
That is great Brian. Thanks for the update.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
04-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Just a Note:

Due to the time involved getting the Skylight STC ammended, we have decided that we need to increase the cost of the STC package from $75.00 to $90.00 starting on July 1st. This gives the guys that have been waiting for the ammendment a couple of months to pic it up before we increase it.

Thanks.

Brian.

rmalone
04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Brian that is great. By the way my wife is sending up a check for our drawings and STC paperwork on our Pacer.

Clayton Harper
04-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Steve,
That is great news. I already have the STC for the skylight for N5265H a PA-16, what do I do to use the revised STC? Do I owe you any more money?
Clayton Harper

Clayton Harper
04-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Meant "Brian" :oops:

stevesaircraft(Bri)
04-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Rex,

No problem, will send it to you as soon as I get it in.

Clayton,

At this point, I will send anyone who wants the revised STC for $5.00 to cover the paperwork and mailing. After July 1st, it will be a $15.00 charge.

Brian.

Clayton Harper
04-11-2008, 04:23 AM
As Chuck Yeager would say "Fair enough". I'd say "Very Generous". Thanks.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
04-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Well it took a little while to get the hard copy from the FAA, he sent it to a Steve's Aircraft in Washington by mistake, but it arrived here yesterday. Will be sending out STC's to everyone that has ordered one today.

Thanks all for your patience.

Brian.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
04-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Couple of shots of finished skylight installations.

Brian.

[attachment=0:3hbonog8]PA16 Skylight 006.jpg[/attachment:3hbonog8]

[attachment=1:3hbonog8]PA16 Skylight 004.jpg[/attachment:3hbonog8]

[attachment=2:3hbonog8]FinnishedShots003.jpg[/attachment:3hbonog8]

stevesaircraft(Bri)
08-28-2008, 12:29 PM
We have recently done an installation of our extended version skylight on a PA-20. Here are a few pictures.

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//898/medium/100_2852.JPG

The opening

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//898/medium/100_2856.JPG

Finished

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//898/medium/100_2859.JPG

From the inside.

The little boxes in the rear corners are covers for the aileron pulleys.
Overall, I like the looks and feel of the installation. This is the first one that we have done as the extended version.

Brian.

Steve Pierce
08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Looks good Brian.

chrisg
03-26-2009, 01:51 PM
A couple questions:
On the Steve's Aircraft Skylight plans, there is a 1.5" x 1.5" angle piece at the rear of the skylight.
1. What thickness is the angle piece?
2. Is it 4130 or something else?
3. Do you bend it yourself, or are you using a pre-bent angle piece?

Thanks,
Chris

stevesaircraft(Bri)
03-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Chris

BOM specifies 3 X 36 strap formed 90 degree to 1 ½ X 1 ½ angle .025 4130 or mild steel. The one I am finishing up right now I used a .032 mild steel 3 X 38 formed 1 1/2 X 1 1/2. I then carefully trimmed to fit tightly against my 3/8 channel piece that i already welded into place. I have a few pics that I will upload later today.

Brian

chrisg
03-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Brian,
Thanks for the quick response! I plan to order some .025 4130. I look forward to the pictures.

Thanks,
Chris

stevesaircraft(Bri)
03-26-2009, 02:55 PM
The following photos are of the longer 30 inch skylight opening.

Skylight angle piece trimmed to fit already installed 3/8 channel.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/phpbb3/gallery/image.php?pic_id=317

Angle piece clamped in place for welding.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/phpbb3/gallery/image.php?pic_id=318

Brian

chrisg
03-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Those are great photos....very helpful!

One more question: do you think the 3/8" channel is strucurally necessary under the angle piece? I know the STC requires it, but I'm working on an experimental and I'm thinking I could leave that out. Any opinions would be great.

Thanks!

stevesaircraft(Bri)
03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Chris

It may not be nessasary on your experimental, but I personally would not leave it out if I were building it. It does stiffen up that area quite a bit.

Brian.

d.grimm
03-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Brian,
How much welding is required in a Vagabond for the extended skylight? From the pictures it looks like you did the Pacer still assembled.
Really would like to do this (next year), just don't want to take it all apart again.
Dave

stevesaircraft(Bri)
03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Dave,

It would require the same amount as the Pacers as far as I know. There aren't any Vags in my area and the only one I have ever seen was at the SWPC convention in Washington a few years back. From looking at the Piper drawings, the structure is basically the same in each aircraft with the exception of a tube placement or two. I have installed plenty of them in assembled Pacers. Takes a little longer and you have to be real careful with fire issues. It is better to Tig weld the parts when dealing with a covered airplane also so hopefully you have access to one.

Looking at this thread I notice that my pictures are now missing....will have to try and remedy that...

Brian.

d.grimm
03-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Brian,
Pictures would be great. Have to get that gascolater you sold me installed first.
Dave

chrisg
06-28-2010, 12:03 AM
When drilling the mounting holes in plexiglas, for skylights and other similar installations, is it necessary to make the holes bigger than the bolts to allow for expansion? Is there anything I should do to protect from cracking if/when it expands in the heat of the sun?

Any/all input is appreciated.

Steve Pierce
06-28-2010, 07:18 AM
I use a Unibit and yes you want the hole bigger than the screw. I think Brian gives the size in the instructions. He also mentioned using a hot bolt to make the holes. You might search "skylight" here as well for more tips and tricks.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
We increase the hole size to 1/4 inch for expansion on all mounting holes for the skylight. The bigest thing with the skylight is to make sure the glass is laying on a flat plane. On the long version, I have been "twisting" the last 3rd of the root rib to match the glass angle. And on all of them I pay particular attention to where the glass meets the windshield channel. I have made a wedge out of thicker plexi for that area and have also used washers between the glass and channel.

Brian

Jetdaddy
06-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Dose any one know if there will be a shortwing piper at OSH 2010 with the skylight modification?
I sure would like to take a look at it.

d.grimm
02-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I got my skylight finished up in the Vagabond. Real happy with the STC and final outcome. Might fly it one of these days if it gets above freezing and less than 20 mph winds.
Dave

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Dave...

Boy that looks nice...:-)

Brian.

Curly
02-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Brian - Your skylight really transforms the interior - gets rid of the "black hole" feeling!
How important are the two "U" channels across the fuse' on a 22/20? Could they be removed without reducing any stiffness in the frame?

Throttle Pusher
02-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Man that looks really nice, you did a good job!
Did you pick out which plexiglass or is it called out on the STC.

d.grimm
02-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Lexan or Plexiglas called for in the STC. I used grey Lexan.
Dave

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Curly

They probably could but they hold up the center U channel and that is used for skylight retention....Plus they are factory Piper and it was hard enough to certify it with the FAA......:-)

To clarify with Dave, I do call out either 1/8 Lexan or Plexiglass....Lexan is nice because it is not as brittle as Plexi but it is also way more $$$$$ ...... I usually use Plexi here....

Brian.

Ed Brown
02-12-2011, 02:06 AM
Nice job Dave.
We're all looking forward to hearing your report of the first flight(s).
Ed

MN_flyer1
02-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Is the skylight mod easy to do? I am a little concerned on how the top of the window is sealed to the fabric on mine. If I have to rework something there then the skylight maybe a better option.

d.grimm
02-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Not to hard. The fairing strip at the front edge that slides into the slot that holds the windshield and that fairing strip is held on with machine screws and nuts. One of those times where a picture is worth a thousand words.
Brian might have a good picture. I always like skylights and the STC and instructions were well done.
Dave

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-12-2011, 01:51 PM
I have attached the .PDF of my drawing package for the skylight installation. Sheet 7 and 8 pretty much show you how the front of the skylight/windshield attachment is done. The only welding that is required is for the rear attachment angle for the skylight glass. All the other attachment points are through existing structure.

Brian.

Throttle Pusher
02-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Do you know a supllier that has the Lexan thats mirrored like sunglasses?
I'm thinking that would look nice.

Throttle Pusher
02-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Googled it and found some.
I wonder if it would last longer if I used film like they use on car windows?

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-12-2011, 10:56 PM
If that stuff is not too expensive it would make for a nice piece.....the mirrored surface should reflect a lot of the UV and keep some of the temp down too...

Can you post a link....I am interested in it..

Brian.

Throttle Pusher
02-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Heres some
http://www.twowaymirrors.net/
http://www.reflectionproducts.com/transparent-mirror.htm
http://www.onewaymirrors.net/

The cost dosent look to bad. looks like a piece big enough for the jobs going to be around a 100 bucks.

idahopacer
02-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Just ordered my windshield and windows with skylite from LP Aero they honered a quote I got while at the AOPA conv. in Nov. I got the skylite with the new UV coating in solar gray, claims to drop UV/IR transmission substanially.

Mark Rasmussen
02-14-2011, 12:28 AM
My Colt has the Steve's Aircraft skylight and I really like it.

It can get hot in the summer, but I live on the frozen tundra in northern MT and can use all the heat I can get.

Someone once described the view out of a shortwing as "like looking out of a culvert". The skylight really changes the feel in the cabin. I wouldn't want to own a shortwing without one.

Mark

bigjohnnie
02-14-2011, 09:07 AM
I have what may seem as a stupid question .... but I'll ask it anyway. I would love to have a skylight in my Tripe, but can you retrofit it --- I mean without having to uncover / recover most of the fuselage ?? .

d.grimm
02-14-2011, 09:30 AM
If you do it very carefully; welding that is.
Dave

DougG
02-14-2011, 09:55 AM
We put Steve's skylight in without uncovering and like Dave says be careful when welding. I think this is one of the biggest improvements you can make for the smallest cost. More head room, Im 6'4", better vis in the turns, and really lightens up the cabin.
Doug

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Mark,

Slice the fabric back along the root formers and fold the fabric back over the fuselage.....carefully weld attachment angles.....fold and glue the fabric back down and patch the edges....paint exposed tubing, fabric etc... Install skylight and enjoy....

For us to install one on a covered airplane it takes about 20 to 30 hours (depends on type of fabric and finish). Our shop rate is $45.00 hr......estimated cost to install one would be around $2000.00 time and materials..( on the high end )

Brian.

Twofieros
05-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I hope I can revive the conversation here. I have begun working on my skylight installation and have run into a few questions. I was laying out pasteboard in place of the 1.5"x1.5" angles in the rear and I can see how the nutplates will go on them. I do not see what the best method is for welding to the center 3/8" channel. How close should I get the angle steal to be to the cross tube before spot welding?

On the front side, where the skylight lays on top of the windshield channel I have to put in two more screws on each side to make a total of 9 vs. the piper 5 that are there. Are those done just like the 5 already there with the rivnuts?

What technique did you use to heat the plexiglass to get it to bend over the center?

In step 17 it talks about making a u-channel to allow headliner clearance from the control cable. I don't have anything on my fuselage right now so it is a little hard to picture what they are getting at. Would someone post a picture of how they did this step? I've looked at all the pictures I can find and I'm still a little confused at what is done here. How would I even attach it with tape temporarily?

I think I got everything else understood. I'm probably just over thinking this stuff. Thanks for the help!

Tim

stevesaircraft(Bri)
05-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Tim.

We are in the process of installing the long version of the skylight in our Tri-Pacer.....So far have all the welding is completed and waiting on painting the tubing....I will get some detailed pictures of the rear attach angles and welding.

As far as some of your other questions..... At the front, remove the riv nuts and use longer screws with lock nuts.....You have to remove the glass protective plastic (or paper) through the center of the sheet, put some weight on the corners, I use the torch with the smallest tip I have and heat the rear section quickly until the rear corners of the glass touch down. A heat gun may work just as well. You just want to be careful so that you do not warp the glass in that area.

If I get enough time tomorrow I will run out to the Tri-Pacer and set up some U channel where we talk about it on step 17 and take a picture.... I have also made some V shaped aluminum spacers for there also.... You need it to keep the aileron control cables from rubbing your headliner material that is installed later in the wing root area.

As another tip.... I know of a few people who have covered the root area with fabric and finished it through Poly-Brush (or whatever cover system used) and used that as a backing to glue on material to finish it out...Keep in mind that using a dark colored material next to the skylight is best. Lighter colors reflect in the glass and can be distracting..

Brian.

PS... if you are fine using Face Book I have a few pictures of the skylight installation going in our Tri-Pacer here... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.79407640215.89209.79219185215

Twofieros
05-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Thank you Brian! One other quick question. Is there a way to reinstall the speaker with the large skylight? Preferably in a different location. If so, what is the most common location?

Stephen
05-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Thank you Brian! One other quick question. Is there a way to reinstall the speaker with the large skylight? Preferably in a different location. If so, what is the most common location?

You fly without headsets???

No reason it could not go in the overhead in the back seat...

Twofieros
05-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I don't fly without headsets. My wife likes to use it on the ground when listening to atis or getting clearance before engine start. To me, it is extra weight and not needed. Sure just a pound or two but those pounds add up quickly.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
05-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Tim

In my opinion the best place to relocate the speaker is up high under the dash....get a smaller 4 ohm speaker from radio shack and bolt it to a couple of Adel clamps on the tubing....If you are creative, you could also get one installed in the wing root ala Super Cub style above the pilots head. You would have to make a bracket of some kind to do it there and you would have to make sure it does not interfere with the aileron cable. Only other place would be where Steve said, above the rear seat in the overhead or hat rack...

Will try to get those pictures today...

Brian.

SuperPacer
05-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Brian & All,

The Skylight is probably the most commented on "Modification" that I have insstalled! Everyone that has flown a Short Wing can't believe the "Openness" that the skylight adds to the cockpit area. It is also one of the best bang for the buck, as it is priced very reasonable, even for us "fiscally conservative" Short Wing Pilots!!

Brian,

Which of the "initeriat Reels" are installed in the photos above. I think that is a real necessary "next addition" for my plane.

Enojoy the day,

John

stevesaircraft(Bri)
05-16-2011, 10:27 PM
John...

Will have to ask the owner....don't remember off hand which brand they are.....work nice though...

Tim...

A few pics for you....

Weld at the end of the angles...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225751_10150178803385216_79219185215_7367597_47519 2_n.jpg

Weld just above the pulleys...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/228789_10150178803505216_79219185215_7367598_62660 06_n.jpg

Weld at the center stringer...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/222334_10150178803590216_79219185215_7367599_82586 34_n.jpg

Weld at the top of the center stringer.....keep in mind that the angle goes all the way across the fuselage and is only welded at the fore and aft locations of the stringer...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225840_10150178803655216_79219185215_7367600_53416 35_n.jpg

Another view of the center stringer weld...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/228627_10150178803705216_79219185215_7367601_38664 73_n.jpg

Look from underneath....
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/225819_10150178803855216_79219185215_7367603_52566 88_n.jpg

This is the tube that needs the spacer U channel for cable clearance....
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/228335_10150178804010216_79219185215_7367606_82969 51_n.jpg

This is how the U channel goes on.....will explain how to attach it after the pics....
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226856_10150178804075216_79219185215_7367607_39720 52_n.jpg

This is how I prefer to do it....Use a piece of .025 aluminum with a very sharp brake..
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/230529_10150178804135216_79219185215_7367608_50615 29_n.jpg

Example of how sharp the bend needs to be...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229224_10150178804185216_79219185215_7367609_81056 13_n.jpg

To install the channel and or aluminum... tape it on in a couple of places with electrical tape... I also like to use some short pieces of 1 inch fabric finishing tape glued around the fuselage tube and channel / aluminum spacer.... Remember, these are only for clearance of the aileron cable so that it does not rub against the headliner material that eventually gets glued in the wing root area...

Brian.

Twofieros
05-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Wow Brian! Great pictures. I might have to reorder my metal. I wasn't planing for one long 1.5" angle. I'll have to measure again and see if I'm good. Everything else seems to explain all my questions.

Tim

rmalone
01-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Brian, just wanted you to know we finished our skylight installation today. I am so glad that we did it as it came out great. Will post some pics in another day or two. Thanks for a great STC.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
01-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Rex...

Thank you for the business.... Look forward to seeing your pictures....

Brian.

rmalone
01-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Brian here are a few shots of the skylight install.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
01-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Rex,

Nice clean install.... I like it..:-)

Can I steal your pics..??

Brian.

rmalone
01-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Help yourself.

gliderman
02-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Steve
this may be a daft question but is your Skylight STC approved in Canada? Some story is circulating that some STCs approved in the States are not always aproved north of the 49th. so I phoned Transport Canada and they said the same thing
also heard of a glider that could not get imported here. bad thing to find out after you bought it:(

take care
Shane

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Shane,

The Skylight is a paperwork only STC... I have sent several packages to Canada in the past and have never had a customer tell me that they could not get approval there.

Brian.

gliderman
02-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks Brian
i will be ordering one in the next couple of weeks

shane

DougG
02-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Shane, I Used this STC for my Pacer with no problems. As stated several times above one of the best mods I've done to the Pacer!
Doug.

tyndall
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
So what is the cost of materials? Planning a recover soon and need to start budgeting.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Biggest cost in material is the glass..... Depending what size you make it acrylic will run you from $40.00 to $65.00 and Lexan can run you 2 to 3 times that. All the metal and hardware will probably be around $50.00

Brian.

halestorm
02-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Rex

Which technique did you end up using to put the bend in your skylight?

Has anyone tried using a heat gun?

Sam

rmalone
02-23-2012, 07:18 AM
I did use a heat gun and it seemed to work well. Slowly heated it while tightening it. No cracks so far. Be careful as the heat gun I have gets very hot very quick. I think the other important thing is to watch the tightness of the screws carefully. After I initially tightened my screws I went back and loosened them somewhat.

McDaver63
06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm accomplishing Steve's Skylight STC on my 52' Pacer and would like to know where to to relocate the comm antennas? Just like it describes in the STC I would like to cut out the mount brackets located at the forward corners of the skylight area. Any good relocation recommendations and pictures, if possible would be awesome.
Thx

Steve Pierce
06-26-2012, 07:53 PM
What about installing it on the wing root fairing? That is where I usually install them.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
06-27-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm accomplishing Steve's Skylight STC on my 52' Pacer and would like to know where to to relocate the comm antennas? Just like it describes in the STC I would like to cut out the mount brackets located at the forward corners of the skylight area. Any good relocation recommendations and pictures, if possible would be awesome.
Thx

As my good friend Mr. Pierce says, on the top of the wing root covers.....That is where I always install them.

Brian.

McDaver63
06-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Steve or Brian, Since the wing root fairing is only about .032" thickness I assume that you would need to fabricate a mount bracket flange for the antenna to attach to through the fairing. I guess you could attach it to some of the tubes. Any ideas?

Steve Pierce
06-27-2012, 07:51 AM
I make a plate big enough for the antenna base and brake a 90 degree angle on both sides to stiffen it. Make sure it is narrow enough to fit between the wing root and fuselage.

McDaver63
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Steve, so you just fabricate like a u shaped reinforcement plate. Do you rivet it to the underside of the wing root fairing or just allow the antenna mount screws to sandwich it all together?

Steve Pierce
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
I just sandwich it.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
06-27-2012, 12:39 PM
I do as Steve says, but I also Rivit it together with 3/32 flush rivet's....

Brian.

Prosaria
04-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Reviving an old thread here, but I am about to replace my skylight glass and was just getting some ideas from this thread. I thought I would share my 60" long skylight 337, in the event there is someone that can't get enough light. I love the thing, and it feels like night and day going from mine to the 36" skylight in other Pacers. Brian - Perhaps it is time to get another revision.

Throttle Pusher
04-10-2015, 09:24 PM
That does look nice.
Do I need to give you a pm for a copy?
I haven't put a sky light in yet, and looking at all the options.

Throttle Pusher
04-10-2015, 09:26 PM
My bad. Now I see the PDF. :)

stevesaircraft(Bri)
04-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Wow... That is long.... I'll give it some thought though... At that length, there would be no need for a headliner..

Brian

Prosaria
04-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Nope, no headliner in it. The glass goes all the way to the rear bulkhead in my early PA20. The later models may be different.

mmoyle
04-28-2015, 10:59 PM
Getting back to the sky light. Making the inner wing root panels. Making from 6061-T6 in 0.032". Covered the front portion with fabric....the aluminum panel....will mount fuel sight gauges and the head set plug receptacles in the rear area. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/28/8a0bea771913045d57f1134a17409083.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/28/bb41e17a134df126716917482fc164ed.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/28/d93cb5ed6051a133d7bdf302edb78470.jpg[/IMG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[IMG]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/28/28a6ee3ef3d2d08131c240e0fa11dca5.jpg

richas
04-29-2015, 12:26 PM
That looks really slick.
Rich

tloes
04-29-2015, 03:01 PM
Nicely done!

Jim Hann
04-29-2015, 03:53 PM
See if this works...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/28/d93cb5ed6051a133d7bdf302edb78470.jpg

mmoyle
04-30-2015, 09:12 PM
Finished the opposite side today. Sure would be nice to have a separate paint booth...instead of assembling inside a make shift paint booth....http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/30/c5dcf4ca4a79456c38157eaee85d1eb6.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/30/cb1ed2e368e4daa4d07c15643b85cee6.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/30/da48dc832b0054754c0990d556faf4ba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stevesaircraft(Bri)
05-01-2015, 12:35 AM
Mark,

That looks nice and clean.... Are you going to make some aileron pulley covers for the corners..??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmoyle
05-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Brian....I used an example/pic Steve Pierce's dad...or was it Steve sent me? So yup. Will use either 3003 in .050" or 5052H32 in .032" to make something like what you did on the PA22/20 conversion. Cept I'll weld the seams and paint. Using a metalic silver that matches the seat leather.

Steve Pierce
05-01-2015, 06:52 AM
Looking good, I have to get my annual done so I can start bending tin on Cathy's.

mmoyle
05-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Looking good, I have to get my annual done so I can start bending tin on Cathy's.

Thanks, fit up the polycarbonate today and made the center strip. Went with flush head screws...bit of shrinking to make flat then broke the edges in the brake. Fits flush....with room for gookumpucky to seal and still keep the aluminum edges on the glass.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/02/1cda5d8d77b5ac9fbc96cbdf91750966.jpg

rocket
05-03-2015, 02:56 PM
...and just so everyone knows, Mark is not going to Oshkosh. Apparently Oshkosh is coming to Him!

Rocket

rsrguy3
05-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Mark how hard would it be to put in the cub style sight gauges at this point?

mmoyle
05-04-2015, 10:42 AM
That's on my to figure out list. Need the drawings. I'm imagining the fittings at the top and bottom will need to be...special..bit longer due to the horizontal break line....super cub wing root panel is flat.... The skylight is off now. The aluminum front, center and rear are ready for paint. Interior wing root panels will come off for the site gauges and head set jack mount...back on to insure it fits...then off again for paint. Today making one more interior trim piece at the right front "D" window.

rsrguy3
05-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Very nice! I'm hoping you'll do the step by step photos for that little project.

tloes
05-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Wouldn't wing-root mounted sight gauges also need "compatible tanks"? Or is there an STC or other approval to make a pacer tank work with sight gauges (welding in fittings)?

rsrguy3
05-04-2015, 11:24 AM
You'd need to weld bungs into the tanks to make it work. I think sight gauges and a fuel flow meter would be an ideal way to go since I want the skylight.

mmoyle
05-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Wouldn't wing-root mounted sight gauges also need "compatible tanks"? Or is there an STC or other approval to make a pacer tank work with sight gauges (welding in fittings)?

I'm installing a 320 that'll eat more blue gas, will be installing the larger Dakota Cub tanks with the bungs/NPT fittings for the sight gauges. Spoke with Brian about it... Doable... Wanted to do the stoddards 11 gallon aux tanks. Can't find a tank in any condition to duplicate....corse I need to get this done...sooner rather than later....

tloes
05-04-2015, 02:18 PM
You can't make the 11-gallon tanks from a J-3 work? http://store.wagaero.com/product_info.php?products_id=5207

mmoyle
05-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Don't know? Would need the engineering drawings to see how they'd fit.... Definitely a cheaper option to increase fuel capacity

Steve Pierce
05-05-2015, 06:39 AM
The slotted winged Tri-Pacer has dakota Cub 24 gallon tanks with Super Cub fuel gauges. They do stick into the cockpit further than in a Super Cub which means longer hoses. The drawback is that they protrude in to far, I hit my head on them. Looking at a way to recess them deeper into the wing root as we install the skylight and aluminum wing root panels.

rsrguy3
10-22-2016, 12:27 AM
Does anyone that has completed the Skylight install have a good wing root cover pattern or template, I'm trying to tidy mine up? Brian? Anyone?

stevesaircraft(Bri)
10-22-2016, 03:11 AM
I make it as I'm installing it.... Do not have a pattern.... Could make one up after I get Andy's fuselage back though...

Brian