PDA

View Full Version : slotted wings

pistoncan
01-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Steve, You mentioned a slotted wing pacer in another post. Are you working on one?

Steve Pierce
01-13-2008, 09:21 AM
No. Rumor has it there will be one at the Super Cub get together at New Holstein, WI during Oshkosh. Wayne Mackey in Miles City, Mt. makes slats the attach to Piper wings without any trouble. His airplane is the one in the video I posted in another thread. Wayne grew up in Alaska working at Day and Night Aviation for the likes of Dave Hendrick and Ron Sullivan. His first Cub was built out of parts he scavenged from wrecks in the AK bush. I met him at new Holstein 2 years ago and if he didn't have a photo album I would have thought he was full of it. :lol: Pictures of a SC wing tied under a SC to haul out from a wreck or to a wreck. Wings spar bent back straight and flown out with angle iron and "C" clamps holding them straight, covered in duct tape. My favorite was a Super Cub with another SC fuselage tied to the side of it and flown out of the crash site. We should see some real interesting things come out of the Super Cub world in the next year and a lot of those are trickiling into the Short Wing world. 8-)

pistoncan
01-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Steve, I get easily confused but I have a keen eye for the obvious. I read Waynes thread on his slats (not slots) on the SC.org site. The dakota cub wings are slots, right? and the slats are moveable, right? This STOL thing is a whole new can of worms for me but I think its impressive. They were talking about flight below 20 mph, I would be tickled with 25-30 mph. I have to build wings for my wagabond anyway. It would be cool to incorporate slots but its seems most of the slotted wing cubs are big engine and mine will only have 100 hp, so maybe I should leave that to the big dogs. You obviously know 100 times more about this stuff than I do. what do you think about it? Gary

Steve Pierce
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
You are correct. Look for a 100 hp slotted wing LSA Cub type at Sun & Fun this year. 8-) Sorry I can't tell you everything I know but it will all come out soon. ;)

Stephen
01-13-2008, 11:08 AM
I've talked with Mike at http://ykmaerosport.com/default.asp, who is building slotted wings for SC and was interested in doing this for a Pacer. He'll tell you how they decrease stall and make the plane nearly impossible to stall. Their website is interesting. Another approach is Jerry Burr's J-3, he has a leading edge cuff, VG's (everywhere) and flaperons, which none seem to decrease his cruise speeds but significantly lower his stall speed.

d.grimm
01-13-2008, 12:07 PM
I would think Dakota Cub would sell you everything you need to make a slotted wing for your Wagabond. We looked into the slotted wing on the Super Cub rebuild, I think extended gear a big tires would be required to take advantage of the high angle of attack the slots will give you. I have been more than satisfied with all of Dakota Cub's parts.
Dave

pistoncan
01-13-2008, 02:25 PM
I would think Dakota Cub would sell you everything you need to make a slotted wing for your Wagabond. We looked into the slotted wing on the Super Cub rebuild, I think extended gear a big tires would be required to take advantage of the high angle of attack the slots will give you. I have been more than satisfied with all of Dakota Cub's parts.
Dave

Dave, Yep, I have heard that Dakota cub makes good products. My problem is money. (which i don;t have) If I want to continue this project, I am pretty much forced to make most things myself. I saw a slotted wing design on Wayne Wilsons webpage for the rag wing storch which I thought was interesting http://wilsonnz.orcon.net.nz/ It looks like they use a foam cored fiberglass piece for the slot. I wonder where they get it. I admit I havn't wrote and asked anyone.[attachment=2:2gj5garl]slot1.jpg[/attachment:2gj5garl][attachment=1:2gj5garl]slot2.jpg[/attachment:2gj5garl][attachment=0:2gj5garl]rtwing.jpg[/attachment:2gj5garl]