PDA

View Full Version : Oil Coolers

Frank Green
01-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Trying to decide weather to replace the oil cooler on my 22. Looking at the Niagara unit,$420. Thoughts, concerns, horror stories or just leave it and find something else to spend money on.

Mr_Boondoggle
01-16-2008, 09:04 AM
My Niagara Air Parts oil cooler has worked very well. Installation was simply and it came with an STC. When I installed it, I also switched to Seaplane cowling. Between the two modifications, my over heating problems disappeared forever. If I remember correctly, Clyde Smith Jr. told me Piper used the Niagara oil cooler on the Super Cub just prior to the production line ending.

When I lived in Anchorage, I put the original cowling back on in the winter. Last weekend, I went flying (with the seaplane cowling) and the oil temperature would not get above 150 F. So I landed and installed the oil baffle. Then the oil temperature went to 220 F. Before I go flying next time, I'll drill a couple of big holes in the baffle with a unibit to allow more air to flow through the oil cooler. That should help keep the oil temperature around 180/200 F with the baffle.

Pat

[attachment=0:oqbt14ks]oilplate [800x600].jpg[/attachment:oqbt14ks]

Steve Pierce
01-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Everybody I know that has installed the Niagra cooler was very happy with it. Most saw a drop in oil temperature also.

joewcasey
01-27-2008, 09:41 AM
I just had my oil cooler overhauled, and it ran me $325. If I'd known it was going to cost that much, I just would have gone with new. A hundred bucks more for a new one would have been worth it to me.

smcnutt
01-27-2008, 01:52 PM
My oil cooler appears to have no markings on it. How do I know what model/mfg I have?

Steve Pierce
01-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Can you post a picture of it?

smcnutt
01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
I will get some pictures of it tomorow. I have the nose bowl off so I can get pictures all around it. Stay tuned.

smcnutt
01-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Here's some pictures. I need to know the Mfg & Model #. Let me know if you need something else as I took a bunch more pictures.
[attachment=2:3auwq70f]OC_Top.JPG[/attachment:3auwq70f]
[attachment=1:3auwq70f]OC_Left.JPG[/attachment:3auwq70f]
[attachment=0:3auwq70f]OC_Bottom.JPG[/attachment:3auwq70f]

smcnutt
01-28-2008, 02:11 PM
3 pictures per post max.... :x Here's the right side.
[attachment=0:1v14fdmp]OC_Right.JPG[/attachment:1v14fdmp]

Steve Pierce
01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
That is the stock Piper oil cooler. Not sure who made it for them. I have a couple of them sitting around. Niagra has a direct replacement that is lighter and most I know who have installed have seen cooler oil temps.

smcnutt
01-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Now if we can just convince the FISDO it is what should be there. :roll:

Steve Pierce
01-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Make them prove it shouldn't. I have several at the hanger with no markings that came off Pacers, Tri-Pacers and Super Cubs. Are they giving you grief?

smcnutt
01-30-2008, 09:59 AM
I think with the current person we are working on with at the FISDO it won't be a problem. He seems to be reasonable and knowledgeable with older aircraft. However, it all got started by somebody else who was a jumbo jet guy (I'm sure that's a different world to work in than us Pipers) and started questioning things that didn't need questioning. But once the question is asked, they need an answer and that's where we are. Luckily we got it moved away from Mr. Jumbo jet and we're nearing the end....I hope.

richardb
07-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the original oil cooler and its location for a Tri Pacer PA22 with O290 D2? Mine is bolted on a braket attached to the fire wall above the mags and in center of the two rear cylinders. I don't have a heating problem, as it does not rise above 200 degrees, but my mechanic is questioning it's location.

JoeB
07-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi Richard,
I'm not an expert yet, but my understanding is that the Harrison cooler was mounted in this location in 1950-51.
Mine doesn't have it anymore but I kinda wish it did for the smooth cowl look. But then again, I've been told that it was not efficient enough for hotter southern climates.
Photo attached shows the 'witness' marks of where this cooler bracket was mounted to my firewall.
Take care,
Joe

Went to the 'other' side, good info from Todd (originaltwenty) in response to my similar oil cooler question a while back:
"If you have the SWPC drawings you can find the oil cooler installation on print 12690 for the 50 Pacer"
"If your aircraft had the oil cooler installed there should be three 8/32 screws that were welded to the cross tubes behind the firewall to attach the bracket."
"The cooler was a plate cooler made by Harrison (PN APO6CU04-02 purchased from GM Radiator Div. on the print)"

Stephen
07-08-2010, 08:22 AM
As far as cooling goes, my cooler is on the left rear side and I've flown it in hot weather with no problems. I have a Stewart Warner cooler which I think works well.

JoeB
07-08-2010, 11:24 AM
As far as cooling goes, my cooler is on the left rear side and I've flown it in hot weather with no problems. I have a Stewart Warner cooler which I think works well.

I think richardb is working with the original style cooler, it's much smaller

P.o.P.
07-08-2010, 01:33 PM
I believe the Niagara folks bought out the Harrison line.

Might have been 1 more in between.

Over the years I've had good results flushing coolers with lacquer thinner.

Keep filling ,sitting & shaking dumping till you it is clear.

A treatment like this annually was really needed on banner towing & skydiving aircraft.

Easy but effective.

smcnutt
07-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I believe the Niagara folks bought out the Harrison line.

Might have been 1 more in between.

Over the years I've had good results flushing coolers with lacquer thinner.

Keep filling ,sitting & shaking dumping till you it is clear.

A treatment like this annually was really needed on banner towing & skydiving aircraft.

Easy but effective.
I think it was Hillbilly that had the idea of connecting it to a rotisserie motor off of your grill and let it run for a couple of days. Would save a lot of effort trying to shake an oil cooler all day.