PDA

View Full Version : Dang blasted fuselage

pistoncan
01-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I spent the morning blasting my fuselage. I don't mind doing it in the winter as I have less trouble with water in the air and I don;t mind bundling up. Compressor runs cooler too. I find that the bare metal doesn;t rust up over night either. I can work on it several days (I am slow) and then prime it the first day we have over 50. The sun is shinning and its maybe 25-30 degrees out. I got to use my new carport for the first time (built for airplanes, but I can't call it an airport) I found another bad tube today, dang it. But better now than later.[attachment=2:lq14kyi5]fuselage2.jpg[/attachment:lq14kyi5]

Hillbilly
01-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I dont want to slow you down or report bad news but in the photo titled fuselage4 I see two tubes with holes in them....
Have you removed the door trim to comply with service bulletin 819?
I wish I had an airport built onto my house...my shops so small I have to grease my butt before I go inside...

Progress is progress, Lookin good, best of luck!

pistoncan
01-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Yep, you are correct, In #4, I knew the diagonal tube was bad. I had went over the fuselage pretty carefully with a pick hammer to locate weak tubes but I couldn't tap under that other tube. That little hole in the cross tube (station 4) under the faring tube is the new one I found today. I will replace the 1inch tube at station 2 before I tackle the station 4 tube and the diagonal. I have started removing the door trim. I have the rear door trim off, but I had trouble seeing the welds through all the primer and paint so I decided to clean it up first so I could see the welds good to carefully grind them off. I should have all the door trim off tomorrow. It sure is a time consuming job, but worth it. The fuselage is a 52 TP. I intended to use this fuselage for my project but I may have to sell this one to pay for other things I need, and use the other one. I can't afford to keep both of them. Thats life :D

Hillbilly
01-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Mine is a 52 TP as well, I also am still involved in restoring my fuselage frame. I think I'm finished with the structural welding I have a few small welds left to make but they are relatively minor, channel and such.

Steve Pierce
01-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Gary, While your at it we have 3 Clippers, a Pacer and a Champ fuselage that need blasting. :lol: It is 50 degrees here today, however the wind is blowing 25 mph. :x

Stephen
01-20-2008, 11:11 PM
What's the old truck under the tarp?

pistoncan
01-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Gary, While your at it we have 3 Clippers, a Pacer and a Champ fuselage that need blasting. :lol: It is 50 degrees here today, however the wind is blowing 25 mph. :x
Steve, just box them up and ship em. Id be glad to do them for you. I can only imagine all the things I could learn from you big dogs. I do good work when I pry myself out of my chair, but Im sloooower than a glacier.

pistoncan
01-20-2008, 11:31 PM
What's the old truck under the tarp?
Its a 39 ford pickup with a flathead, I had it within inches of running but then other stuff gets in the way. I also have a 39 sedan delivery body I was going to put on this running gear I also have a 38 ford 3/4 ton pickup for parts. I have pretty much decided I will have to sell the trucks to pay for airplane parts. Im not going to live long enough to get to all the projects. :)

Stephen
01-21-2008, 10:32 AM
You got me beat, my daily runner is a 49 Chevy PU, in which I just installed a dump mechanism. But, my 67 Triumph Bonneville has been sitting for years. Sorry you got to sell your truck, but man's got to fly.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
01-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Um let me see,

Dad's cars
1941 Ford PU, plus 1940 and 1946 parts trucks.
1964 Mercury Comet Calinte, restored. Black red interior, bucket seats, 289 automatic.

My projects
2 1969 Mercury Cougars, one is a XR7 with air :)
1987 Dodge SHELBY CSX. #701 of 750 modified Dodge Shadows of that year.
1964 Honda 90 Sport.
Anyone want to buy a pair of 280Z's ??? Ill throw in the 302 and 5 speed.

Brian

pistoncan
01-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Does anyone see a pattern here? LOL

Gilbert Pierce
01-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I have a 1950 Ford Flat head that I would sure trade for that 39 pickup. The coupe runs and is drivable.

pistoncan
01-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks Gilbert, Thats a nice ride. They always remind me of the old TV show "Highway Patrol" (boy am I dating myself) I need airplane parts, not another car, LOL long wings or spars, lift struts, tail brace wires, disc brakes, reverse rotation propl, etc.

Stephen
01-21-2008, 10:52 PM
[attachment=0:1d4w1wh2]P1000012.JPG[/attachment:1d4w1wh2]

This may belong in the experimental section.

pistoncan
01-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Maybe we need a (other projects section LOL

pistoncan
01-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Hey guys,
I got a few more of the sheet metal door frame pieces off the airframe yesterday (Yea, I know, I said I would get em all off, but I am slow) and all I can say is anyone who has a 50 yr old airframe that hasn;t had it done, Do it! I couldn;t believe the difference in the condition under the pieces as compared to on top. So far I think I can reuse the pieces I took off.
Gonna ad a month to the project but the peace of mind is worth it.

Homer Landreth
01-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Brian; I just sold a 300ZX I restored, and would ask the fatal question of "How Much" and "What Year" for the 280's. I probably can't buy anything just yet because I am funding the training of a "Hit Squad" and we are going to wait in the bushes and some night mug Gilbert Pierce and grab the keys for that Ford. :twisted:

Gilbert Pierce
01-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Homer,
You can probably buy that Ford from me for less then the "hit squad" is going to charge you. Make me an offer.

Bultaco Jim
01-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Stephen, do you think that your Bonneville will fit in the back of a 22-20? Could I bring along the family when I come pick it up? Jim

stevesaircraft(Bri)
01-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Homer,

If you want them with the engine and trans, I would have to get at least $1500 for them. They are a 1975 and a 1977 I think. The 75 is complete but has been damaged in the passenger rear quarter. The newer one is disassembled and has had the headlghts moved to the grill. The fender headlight buckets were modified to a smooth shape. Like the old headlight covers but in steel. It also has a set of cutom mirrors on the doors. Interior except for the dash is a 9, and I still have all of the interior pieces. I was going to put a 280YZ body kit on it but now do not have the time and too many other projects.

Brian.

Homer Landreth
01-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks Brian and Gilbert. I will have to mull this over with all concerned, The Wife, --- her Divorce Lawyer, whoops ! She wouldn't go that far (Would She ?)

Stephen
02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Stephen, do you think that your Bonneville will fit in the back of a 22-20? Could I bring along the family when I come pick it up? Jim

NO WAY!

I just got it runnin again after years, and now I'm driving it around our island in 30 degree weather, freezing my everything off, like a fool kid.

Stephen
02-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey guys,
I got a few more of the sheet metal door frame pieces off the airframe yesterday (Yea, I know, I said I would get em all off, but I am slow) and all I can say is anyone who has a 50 yr old airframe that hasn;t had it done, Do it! I couldn;t believe the difference in the condition under the pieces as compared to on top. So far I think I can reuse the pieces I took off.
Gonna ad a month to the project but the peace of mind is worth it.

Pistoncan, what are you thinking, clogging this space up with airplane talk?

[attachment=0:32lpe8uz]Motor cycle 016.jpg[/attachment:32lpe8uz]

Bultaco Jim
02-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Lets see here now.....non original tires, mufflers aftermarket, toe prints on the speedo, gee, I'm not going to be spending as much as I thought!
Seriously Stephen, that's a nice bike- and the proper year too. Needs to be in a warmer climate though. Jim