PDA

View Full Version : PA-14

Mr_Boondoggle
01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Today, my Boss sent me to Columbus, Ohio. On the way home, I stopped and looked at a Piper PA-14 that was for sale. It wasn't a show plane by a far cry but it was not ugly either. It was powered by an old narrow deck Lycoming 150 hp engine and I'm guessing a Tri-Pacer cowling judging by the ill fit and the huge patch where a "sugar scoop" once was. On the back end was a PA18 tail riding on a Maule tailwheel. The ailerons had some slop and so did the door...who knows about the landing gear. The interior space was a bit smaller than my Pacer and everyone entered/exited through on front door. The plane still had the original PA14 landing gear and sight tubes sticking out of the bottom of the wings. The airplane looked nice sitting on 8.50 x 6 tires.

Well, had I brought my check book....I may have made an offer.

The smart thing would be to sell my Pacer and find a project that I could restore and fly well into retirement.

So, I'm getting the bug for another project.

What do you guy think about PA14's?

Pat
IND

Hillbilly
01-29-2008, 09:01 PM
I like the family cruisers but don't know anything about them much, it would be really cool bushed out for AK flying.

Stephen
01-29-2008, 11:03 PM
It would be a lot cheaper than building a Producer. Did the PA14 have flaps?

Steve Pierce
01-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Yes on the flaps. Had one of my customers stop by in his on Saturday. I would love to have one but beyond my budget. They are a bit tighter than a Pacer but fly like a Cub and very rare. I think they built 230 plus.

DroopTip
02-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Wonderful aircraft, my father in law ownes one up here in alaska. I have gotten the privledge of doing a couple of caribou hunts with him over the last few years in it. As much as this may sould like blasphamy on this site, i love my pacer but man if i have 70k to buy it from him i just might think about it. :? It has what other cubs don't, space for all your junk, or the family. And although it may not quite have the performance of a cub, it sure does come close. Anyway, just thought id chime in on the subject.

Josh

Steve Pierce
02-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Josh, Is it a little tight with two up front? I have heard you can stagger the seats and it is pretty comfortable. After spending 2 hours in a Luscombe yesterday it can't be that tight. :lol:

rmalone
02-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Congrats on the flight of the Luscomb Steve! :D

BatPacer
02-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Nice planes. Have ridden in a friends with 180hp and all the mods. Noticeably tighter than a Pacer. Plus, everything must be loaded and unloaded from behind the seats. Two minuses to the -14 as far as I am concerned. Oh...and price! Expensive buggers.

Paul

DroopTip
02-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Steve, compare it to the Luscombe and its probably like flying a caddy. It may seem a liitle tighter in the shoulders than the pacer but not to much. But i would have to agree with paul about loading without a rear door, its no fun! The cool thing about the father in laws is the belly pod. Great for holding the camping gear when the back is packed with meat.

Steve Pierce
02-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I never thought about the single door. Has anyone modified one with a baggage door?

Stephen
11-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I never thought about the single door. Has anyone modified one with a baggage door?

I'll try a follow up here. I'll be bringing a PA-14 into my shop for the winter, the owner wants Dodge tanks and few other mods...One item he really wants is a baggage door. Does anyone have any info??

nicka
11-25-2010, 12:43 PM
I would talk to Crosswind Stol, SA502Al installation of RH cargo door, Also Atlee Dodge would be a good source of info. The PA 14 is a heavily modified aircraft I imagine that there is not a whole lot that someone has not tried. The effort to get a real four place supercub. The PA 14 did not have a real high gross weight, I think if I remeber correctly, did it?

Marty57
11-25-2010, 06:39 PM
I am building a Wag 2+2; basically a PA14 without flaps or jack screw. That said, I am building it with the flaps and the jack screw making it more like the original '14. the cockpit is 39" side at the mid pilot station; not sure how that compares to the Pacers. Back seat is very narrow, about 36" I think; hence the 2+2 designation. My plane has two doors up front; same as the sea plane mod. Over on the Super Cub site their is a lot of info on the PA14's and a number of members fly the plane. I am building mine with floor seat rails from a Cherokee so the seats will slide giving it more comfort and shoulder room. I have seen them built with bubble doors and that gives it a lot more room but not sure how that would work with a certified bird. I also have the Super Cub gear and the tail feathers is Super Cub also. My main deviation is that I am building an all wood wing along with wood ailerons and flaps. My understanding reading and talking to those who fly the bird is that although it isn't up to what a Super Cub can do in terms of extreme short field landings it will land shorter than anything my experience can do. I know a 2+2 flier that seems to keep up with most Super Cubs and he does not have the flaps. If you are interested in how the door openings look with the fabric off, here's a picture from my web site.
http://x82.xanga.com/432c643610537173929797/z132285545.jpg

My fire wall forward is from a Pacer; 0290D2 so I feel right at home here with you guys.

Marty57

Stephen
11-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the help..I'll give Charlie at X-Winds a call, the door mod looks major. I would love to see a good picture of it, maybe similar to Marty's 2+2. Nice project Marty, Steve P has said that the 14 is a bit cozy. I am also thinking that the owner may go for a cargo pod. But, I have not found any specific STC...

Curly
11-26-2010, 04:52 PM
And if you want to see one of the best homebuilt sites ( and the 2 + 2 Mart is building is not all that scuffy either) go to http://martyfeehan.xanga.com:cool:

Stephen
11-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Sure love the looks of wood wings...those hinge brackets are quit the project.

Marty57
11-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words. I have gotten a lot of help here and at Supercub.org; could not do it with out all the help. My site is a way of organizing everything so others might find something they can use. And yes, I really like wood wings also, metal wings are ok too I guess if that's all the FAA lets you play with :)
Marty

BobGrand
11-27-2010, 07:39 AM
We modified our PA-16 by removing the baggage door and replacing the tubing then cut the pilots tubing out to install a pilots door with 2 front mounted hinges like the Maule all done with a field approval.

Marty57
11-27-2010, 09:45 PM
On the baggage door mod, N5191H has pictures on the Super Cub site; beautiful rebuild. It has an upper baggage door on the side. The owner's user name is 5191H; should be easy to get a hold of.
Marty57