PDA

View Full Version : Clipper Right Wing Rank STC

MSchipul
01-30-2008, 08:03 AM
I have a 337 for the removal of the fuselage tank and installation of the "right wing tank assembly as per STC-SA2-287" signed and approved in 10/66. The thing is, I've looked on FAA.gov and can't find reference to that STC (or anything close) and the gascolator in the low part of the system under the right seat is a wacky installation and leaks. Have been messing with it (new gasket and slight change in mounting to try to get a better seal) to try to stop the leak and while it has slowed considerably, IT STILL LEAKS. I've never strained any gook out of it even though I do occassionally get minute bits of stuff out of the right tank and the gascolator on the firewall so I'd like to see the STC to know if it HAS to be there. Seems like more of an issue than anything else to me but.... Anyone got any ideas?

Gilbert Pierce
01-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Melissa,
I do not know if your STC requires that right hand gas coalator or not but would guess it does since Piper originally put one there when they put the right wing fuel tank in. The problem you are experiencing with it is normal with those old gas coalators. The tops are die cast from pot metal and warp from the pressure of the bale holding the bottom on. Replace it with an STC'd unit from STEVE'S Aircraft and your problems with it will be forever over.
http://www.stevesaircraft.com/gascolator.php

MSchipul
01-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the help. Although I have not yet received the "blessing" to post on it (geez why do these things take so long) I have spent the morning reading the stuff on the Short Wing Piper Club website and had come to the same conclusion. The SA-003 is on order.

smcnutt
01-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the help. Although I have not yet received the "blessing" to post on it (geez why do these things take so long) I have spent the morning reading the stuff on the Short Wing Piper Club website and had come to the same conclusion. The SA-003 is on order.
I also ran into a long wait (2+ weeks) until I got my "Blessing" to post on the clubs website. It seems my multiple requests to be added was somehow being lost in their spam filter or something. Once I talked to the right people it happened almost instantly. If it's been more than a day or so I wouldn't be shy about picking up the phone and calling the webmaster or club president (I think the #'s listed on the clubs website) and just explain what you're looking for and he can get it done. Shouldn't have to be so hard but it is what it is.

MSchipul
02-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Fix one problem and create another. Installed the gascolator from Steve's this week. Wow what a nice piece of equipment. The only problem is that the hole for the quick drain is on the bottom, rather than off to the side as the old one was and there is very little clearance. I know because I bought the safe air drain that can be locked open and it sticks down through the fuselage quite a bit. Had bought one for the PA-16 first (because it said for PA-16) but it obviously didn't fit (1/4" NPT). I don't know if I can get the non locking one in or not and my A&P would prefer not to cut a hole in an inspection panel because of where the thing falls.

Does anyone have any idea if I can install a flush mounted 1/8" NPT quick drain into a gascolator?

Steve Pierce
02-24-2008, 07:51 AM
It doesn't make any difference which style quick drain as long as the threads are right and there are no interferences. Can you take a picture so we can better see the problem?

MSchipul
02-24-2008, 07:57 AM
The thing is, I don't know how much space the flush mount will need inside the gascolator and it takes days sometimes to get answers to technical questions from A S.

I don't have a digital camera with me but I'll try to get one. Haven't looked but is it difficult to upload? Computers & internet are not my strong suit.

Steve Pierce
02-24-2008, 08:00 AM
This one should do it. Most installations I have seen do have a hole drilled in the inspection plate for the quick drain exit however if it is inside the fuselage I think it would be better in case of an accident that took out the gear and could rip the quick drain off.

http://www.aeroinstock.com/products/FUE ... index.html (http://www.aeroinstock.com/products/FUEL-DRAIN%252C-1%252F8-NPT/63/11880/product_detail/index.html)

Steve Pierce
02-24-2008, 08:14 AM
If you have the picture on your computer you just hit the "upload attachment" button under your post. Here is a thread on sizing pictures etc. Pretty easy, really. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4 (http://www.shortwingpipers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4)

MSchipul
02-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks Steve.

The saf-air 1250 was the one that I got that was sticking out through the belly. I just made new brackets and cut longer hose to raise the entire installation 5/8's of an inch which will clear a 110 quick drain but not the 1250. I'm not going to use it as the one I got didn't work when I went to drain the 5 gallons I had put in to check for leaks. The ball wouldn't hold in the detent- bad design. Now with raising it up, I won't be able to drain fuel out of it without having it run inside the belly any way so I'll go through the gascolator on the firewall just as I did today and just use that drain to empty the bowl.

Another day....

Steve Pierce
02-25-2008, 07:36 AM
I would use an AN911-1D and an AN910-1D to extend it.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an911.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an910.php

Tom T.
02-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Mine has an angled drain fitting!

MSchipul
02-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi all. Thanks again for the help.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-25-2008, 11:48 PM
if it is inside the fuselage I think it would be better in case of an accident that took out the gear and could rip the quick drain off.

Steve,

I could see the quick drain and bowl being ripped off of the original Gascolator, but after seeing ours go through this wreck of a Super Cub, I would trust it over the original any day.

[attachment=1:qf4261f9]02.jpg[/attachment:qf4261f9]

[attachment=0:qf4261f9]gas_dam008.jpg[/attachment:qf4261f9]

The bowl came off the cover with no problems. We replaced the bowl so that we could keep the old one to show. The airplane was completely rebuilt and still runs the original cover.

Brian.

Steve Pierce
02-26-2008, 06:02 AM
I remember seeing those pictures. That guy would have had a really bad day with the original gascolator. :o

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Steve

He was very lucky. This is what happened. He removed the stick to work on something under the dash. The sick he had for that airplane was the type that had a triangular cut out on the bottom and the hole for the bolt 90 degrees to the cutouts. When he put the stick back in, he inadvertently put the stick in at the wrong position. This resulted in the stick coming out of the stub right after a full power hard climb takeoff. He just cut the power and held on. The pictures are the result. After teardown, he decided to replace the fuselage with a new Airframe’s fuselage and rebuild the wings. He went ahead and did AOSS suspension on 3 inch gear, our brakes, reused the Gascolator, 31 Bushwheels, baby Bushwheel tail wheel and a host of other nice goodies. It is a real nice cub. But unfortunately, life took a terrible turn for our friend of over 30 years and he died of complications of esophagus cancer that we all thought he had beat. His esophagus was removed about 3 years ago, but a couple of months ago his body decided that it just would not keep food in his system. We believe that the cub will probably go to his pilot son in CA.

Brian.

Steve Pierce
02-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Sorry to hear that Brian. Similar thing happening here as well. Cancer is a powerful thing. :evil:

stevesaircraft(Bri)
02-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks Steve.

Unfortunately, cancer has no morals.

Brian.