PDA

View Full Version : Sealing windows

Ryan Johnson
02-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Here's a nice tip I learned from "Crash" via Supercub.org on sealing windows. I've posted some pictures of the process on a Vagabond I'm working on here- http://picasaweb.google.com/ryanajohnson5/VagabondN4469HRestoration
You start by masking about a 1/8" line where you want the sealant to go, apply the sealant and wipe with your finger. I remove the tapes ASAP. I've tried a wet and dry finger and didn't really notice a difference.This process seals the window nice and I personally like the way it looks when done in moderation. The sealant I use is purchased from Napa auto parts and is just called auto trim sealant. I prefer black but I guess you could you use any color you want or can find.

Ryan

Steve Pierce
02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Looks great Ryan. I just did a Luscombe that way. I use a sealant LP Aero Plastics sells. They say it sticks to the windsheild material better than silicone. Don't know if that is true or not.

Ryan Johnson
02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I never realized they sold sealant, I'll try it next time. By the way Steve that Luscombe looks unbelievable, will it be at Oshkosh?

Ryan

Steve Pierce
02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I hope. I will be begging the owner to take it to Sun & Fun and OSH. ;) What about your Vag?

Hillbilly
02-05-2008, 10:04 PM
That Vag is looking sweet, Mr Ryan

Ryan Johnson
02-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I haven't talked it over with the owner but probably not. I'm in A&P school full time and work nights so that only leaves the weekends for the planes. The PA-11 should be there though.

Frank Green
02-06-2008, 08:02 AM
I use a product called 3M strip caulk. Comes in 12" pieces, 1/8" round. Peal off a piece, lay in place, it's kind of tacky, install glass. No real time pressure. Kind of stays pliable. Comes in black. Got it at autobody store. Works for me.

pistoncan
02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I thought I was the only one in the world with a heath tailwheel. Were you able to find a new bushing for it? I need to redo mine too. Gary

Ryan Johnson
02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
The bushing was fine. It was more or less just a cosmetic "overhaul" of the tailwheel. Up until a couple of years ago you could buy NOS Heaths fro AC Spruce. They're a nice tailwheel, I like them.

Steve Pierce
02-12-2008, 06:51 PM
I grabbed the tube of sealant LP Aero Plastics sells for windshield installation. Their number is SP-1100WT white and SP-1100BL black. It is Bostik Urethane Sealant 1100 Fast Set. I have found it on the internet but only in large quantities. Comes in a caulking tube.