PDA

View Full Version : Landing gear

bmglidden
02-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey everyone,I'm new and I'm trying to find out if the landing gear for the Piper Colt and the tri-pacer is the same gear or how it is different.

Steve Pierce
02-23-2008, 04:55 PM
As far as I know and can tell from the parts manual the only difference is the step from late to early. Don't know for sure though. I know the fuselage frames are the same except for some internal tubes.

JohnW
02-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey, yourself! :D Not to embarrass you, but I'm a little corn-fused by your question... The PA-22-108 Colt and what you refer to as the "two-seat TriPacer" are one and the same airplane. The TriPacer is in fact also a PA-22 but the "dash numbers'" following all but the first variation indicate which horsepower engine each following variation had installed originally(actually, The Piper brochures called them "125" and "135" based on their book-value rated cruise in mph, but coincidentally the hp ratings were somehow mysteriously "the same"; the -150 and -160 models were solely based on hp, they weren't claimed to cruise that fast). All were certificated under Type Certificate Specification 1A6.

Maybe a more correct answer could possibly be derived from your specifying exactly what you are trying to use and on what airplane you are trying to use it on (more specifically...by s/n, if possible?). Help us help you a little better, and Welcome!

bmglidden
02-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks John your right I thought about that soon as it posted, what I'm wanting to do is try and put tripacer main gear on a stolp starlet and not sure how or if it will work. The tripacer is beyond repair and the gear is about the last good thing on it.

JohnW
02-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Ooooh-kaaaaayyyy. There's not an awful lot I can offer as far as my having any experience or suggestions regarding the project you are getting into. Maybe someone else here is better equipped to help you more directly.

I personally eschew the use of "unknown quality parts" on ANY aircraft, Certificated OR Amateur Built. To go to the "trouble" of installing TriPacer gear legs off what you describe as an UNSERVICEABLE aircraft (which are therefore by definition "unserviceable" themselves -for use on a certificated design- unless specifically returned to service by a person authorized by the Administrator) doesn't make a lot of sense (to me, anyway! I hope you would grant me my opinion as I would defend your right to yours!). What's the matter with the gear Stolp designed? What would be the point in using gear off a TriPacer if the rest of the airplane is "junk" rather than building a tried and true setup for that design out of new stuff? Did you build (or ARE YOU currently building) this Starlet? Tell me more.

Steve Pierce
02-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Have a Pacer fuselage in the hanger that was converted via field approval. They turned the Tri-Pacer gear around and modified the tubes at the top to get the hydrasorb in the right place and added structure to the fuselage to support the rear gear fitting in it's new position. Didn't work well and bent the bottom longerons.

bmglidden
02-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Your right John and I do respect all opinions,but with that said just because the rest of what is left is not worth using doe's not mean the gear is bad. There was a lot of good parts on this tripacer when the guy got it,but he has since sold all of the good parts except the gear. I like the "colt" "tripacer" gear and hope it will work. A friend has colt gear on a Jr Ace and loves it. The guy that built the jr ace took the colt gear and turned them around putting the left colt gear on the right of the Ace and the other the same way. The only limiting factor I can see so far is the width of the Stolp. I am going to measure everything today and see what it looks like on paper. And it may be very well that it will not work. This is a flying Stolp,but the gear on it is poorly designed and I am looking for a solution. I hope to also pick the plans up today also. Thanks again John for your input.

pistoncan
02-24-2008, 10:34 AM
I have a tri pacer gear here that is rusted through right where the front (sloped) tube meets the axle. I only found it with a pick hammer. I would caution you to examine that area very carefully.
Gary

D.A.
09-15-2015, 09:03 PM
Have a Pacer fuselage in the hangar....added structure to the fuselage to support the rear gear fitting...bent the bottom longerons.
Steve, I know this is an old thread, but do you have pictures of how they re-trussed that rear gear fitting? I'm thinking of doing something similar on a Bushmaster project. I don't want to make the same mistake. Thanks in advance.

D.A.
09-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Also, I need to drag a PA22 hulk home for the Bushmaster, does anyone know the width at the outside of the wheels/tires? I want to make sure it will fit in the truck.

Steve Pierce
09-16-2015, 06:14 AM
I will look. I can tell you that it did not work and bent the lower longeron. I think Eddie Trimmers is the best solution. I will find the picture so you can see how not to do it. ;)

Steve Pierce
09-16-2015, 06:18 AM
Also, I need to drag a PA22 hulk home for the Bushmaster, does anyone know the width at the outside of the wheels/tires? I want to make sure it will fit in the truck.

Here is a thread with some pictures. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/showthread.php?5963-Tri-Pacer-Gear-Width-Needed

KSG
09-16-2015, 07:03 AM
There was a converted tripacer with bushmaster gear for sale a couple years ago in Colorado I believe. He had good luck with bushmaster type gear. I am using bushmaster type gear on my project.

D.A.
09-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Here is a thread... Penske claims their trucks are 7'8" wide so this bad boy should just fit.
Thanks Steve.

D.A.
09-16-2015, 05:42 PM
There was a converted tripacer with bushmaster gear for sale a couple years ago in Colorado I believe. He had good luck with bushmaster type gear. I am using bushmaster type gear on my project.
Do you have any pictures posted

D.A.
09-16-2015, 08:14 PM
...I think Eddie Trimmers is the best solution... That pretty much what I plan to do other than the Maule suspension. Does anyone have details or pictures on how the fuselage is re-trussed to accept the -18 gear?

KSG
09-17-2015, 07:22 AM
I have not posted any pictures, but there were pictures of the pacer I mentioned posted here. May have been in planes for sale.

D.A.
09-17-2015, 04:27 PM
I have not posted any pictures...
Please post pictures of your project. Love to see them.

Steve Pierce
09-17-2015, 04:49 PM
Thread on Trimmer's STC with PA18 extended gear and Maule oleo struts. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/showthread.php?9273-Trimmer-stc-for-PA18-gear-modifications

Steve Pierce
09-17-2015, 04:54 PM
This was a PA22/20 conversion done via field approval years ago where the Tri-Pacer gear was used and turned around. It ended up shorter to the ground and the lower longerons are bowed up.

D.A.
09-19-2015, 03:34 AM
This was a PA22/20 conversion...where the Tri-Pacer gear was used and turned around...the lower longerons are bowed up.

Doesn't that look a lot like the Trimmer STC?

Steve Pierce
09-19-2015, 06:35 AM
The longerons were bent, no carry-thru tube and one less diagonal. We put it back stock.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8999&d=1442526738

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/06/7yme3ysa.jpg

D.A.
09-21-2015, 02:06 AM
...It ended up shorter to the ground... How long is the TP gear leg as compared to a Pacer stock gear leg? How long is a Pacer gear leg as compared to a SC gear leg? How long would the forward leg of the gear be on a Bushmaster if you wanted to create a 3" extended style gear?