PDA

View Full Version : Encoding Altimeter Failure

Mr_Boondoggle
02-23-2008, 06:04 PM
My ACK encoding altimeter was reported by ATC as inoperative today. Before I chunk it in the trash, is there anything I can check first? I flew from Brazil, IN to Galesburg, IL and it worked perfectly. I landed at Galesburg, took on some fuel, and took off for Brazil. After takeoff, the transponder worked but the encoder didn't.

If I remember correctly, it gets all its power through the wiring harness coming off the transponder.

Are encoder swaps as simple as unpluging the old one and plugging in the new one? or Do I have to change the wiring harness?

Thanks

Pat

d.grimm
02-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Did more than one ATC facility indicate it wasn't working? It's not always your problem.
The latest and greatest(?) avionics heal themselves by turning them off and back on.

Steve Pierce
02-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Yep, I've had that happen before.

Mr_Boondoggle
02-24-2008, 06:26 AM
Three ATC facilities said it was inoperative. I'll shop around for a new encoder....they don't seem expensive.

Pat

Steve Pierce
02-24-2008, 07:45 AM
I would try unplugging and plugging back in, go up high and call the local radar facility and see if the pick you up. Sometimes it is a loose connection.

Rick-CAS
02-26-2008, 02:59 PM
I had an ACK encoder that did that too. I sent it to ACK and was told that the ribbon cable (wire bundle) from the connector to the board inside was bad. They replaced it and sent it back at no charge. I also had errors when making short transitions from departure to entering controled airspace. The encoder needs at least 10 minutes to warm up before it will send correct altitude readings.