PDA

View Full Version : HEADLINER

sbjmobil
03-02-2008, 04:44 PM
I need to know how the headline attach's in the rear. I don't have any thing to go on, no old headliner or other airplane to look at. A pic would be great if any one has one This is on a 1956 fuselodge. I purchased a new headliner from Airtex, no instructions.

SBJMOBIL

Gilbert Pierce
03-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Call Airtex and ask to speak to the guys that install headliners. They will walk you thru it. They gave me invaluable help when I was faced with the same dilemma.

sbjmobil
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I'VE TALK TO AIRTEX. THEY DIDN'T HAVE CLUE AS TO HOW TO ATTACH THE HEADLINER AT THE REAR. LOOKING FOR HELP

Homer Landreth
03-04-2008, 05:31 PM
It might be helpful if you could take a picture of your structure at the point where you are questioning the attachment. I have a '59 Tripacer with the hatrack over the baggage compartment. The headliner had loops in it where the aluminum support looms went through and were fastened to the side frame with PK screws. As the frame tapered into the end of the headliner, the last support loom was about 6 inches in front of the solid piece of steel frame that was eliptical in shape and framed out the end of the hatrack section. The headliner was glued to that rear frame and it tapered to fit that frame area perfectly. There was a separate piece of one eighth fiberboard that closed the end of the hatrack that was at greatest, 5 inches wide. I had excess material that allowed me to cover that piece with headliner material. The reason for soliciting a picture from you is that I am not understanding why it isn't really obvious to you where you need to attach the headliner at the rear of the hatrack section. Maybe at some time in your planes life, someone cut out some structure and didn't get it back in and there is nothing there for you to fasten too, which might be why you are questioning where to attach it. Anyway, if this explanation was not clear, if you would take a couple of pictures with a camera or a cell phone and post them we could see what you are dealing with.

Steve Pierce
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Tonight I looked at the frame in the hanger and went to the storage hanger and looked at my Pacer. There is a 3/8" piece of U channel formed in a bow above the angle which forms the rear of the hat shelf. It appears that the headliner is wrapped around the U channel and then down around the angle with a board covered in the same material as Homer described. I will get some pictures to better explain tomorrow.

sbjmobil
03-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Homer, I' ve some pic's to send to you, but need your email adress if posable. Mine is a 1956 and there is no loops on the back of the head liner.

Thanks sbjmobil

Homer Landreth
03-06-2008, 04:41 AM
Send them to webmaster@shortwing.org, or just post them here. But, there is no loop at the end of the headliner. The fabric just ends, and that is what you are gluing to the frame that makes up the end of the hatrack. I will get by my Pacer today and flick a few pictures also and get them posted or emailed to you also.

Frank Green
03-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Found some pics. Hope they help.

Frank Green
03-08-2008, 12:35 PM
One more, 3 is the limit per post

rmalone
03-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Frank, a picture is truly worth a thousand words. Personally I would rather have the picture. I am about to blast and paint my fuselage and will be heading in this direction soon. Nice job. Thanks. :)

Frank Green
03-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I recommend wool over vinyl. Easier to install and a steam iron. works wonders on wrinkles. Just be very careful that the glue doesn't soak thru and show. You have to let it tack up before letting the liner touch it. Timing is everything. Practice on some scrap.

smcnutt
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Just be very careful that the glue doesn't soak thru and show.

Whoever installed our wool headliner obviously didn't know this trick as we have some areas where it soaked thru. Any suggestions to clean it up after the fact. Other than pull it out and start over.

Frank Green
03-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I started with the speaker board and that is where I learned quickly. Was not able to fix it with any solvents I tried. I used Airtex's glue. I hid my mistake with a alu panel covered with wool.

Hillbilly
03-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Dont know that it will work but, Many years ago I fixed machines at a shirt factory, whenever the girls would get grease or something on a shirt they would spray it out with contact cleaner, worked like a charm. Could be worth a try..

Gilbert Pierce
03-10-2008, 04:18 PM
An old time uphostery shop guy told me the only thing that will remove that glue is 100LL. It worked for me but you have to get it pretty quick.