PDA

View Full Version : Toe brakes & zinc chromate

pistoncan
03-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Hello Well I finally have the fuselage in primer (zinc chromate, I might add) Now we get to start building it back up. The grand total came to 7 tubes need to be replaced not 1 or 2 (after the SB 819 ) My question is this, Is there any toe brake setup that will work with stock cleveland drum brakes? If not, what kind of used (inexpensive) wheels and brakes can I get and use? thanks Gary Richmond

Hillbilly
03-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Gary, aren't you going to top coat your primer?

rmalone
03-22-2008, 09:20 PM
I would also say put some polyurethane paint on the fuselage. :)

pistoncan
03-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Yep but for now, I have it coated enough to stop the surface rust from forming on my newly blasted tubes. Its in a covered carport and now I can start cutting out the bad tubes and welding in new. When I get the thing 100% I will topcoat it.

Hillbilly
03-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Yep but for now, I have it coated enough to stop the surface rust from forming on my newly blasted tubes. Its in a covered carport and now I can start cutting out the bad tubes and welding in new. When I get the thing 100% I will topcoat it.

Ah, I misunderstood, I thought you were finished making repairs...

Bob Jagodzinski
03-23-2008, 06:23 AM
I have PA22 drum brakes and wheels on my PA16 project via an STC. The master cyclinders are Clevelands.
Bob N5656H

Hello Well I finally have the fuselage in primer (zinc chromate, I might add) Now we get to start building it back up. The grand total came to 7 tubes need to be replaced not 1 or 2 (after the SB 819 ) My question is this, Is there any toe brake setup that will work with stock cleveland drum brakes? If not, what kind of used (inexpensive) wheels and brakes can I get and use? thanks Gary Richmond

pistoncan
03-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Thats good to hear, I was under the impression that drum brakes were low pressure high volume and toe brake cylinders were high pressure low volume. That drum brakes would only work with scott type heel brakes.

[quote="Bob Jagodzinski"]I have PA22 drum brakes and wheels on my PA16 project via an STC. The master cyclinders are Clevelands.
Bob N5656H

Jim
03-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi,

I'm also running the stock 53 drums that came with the Tri-Pacer on my Univair STC conversion to tail wheel. After 25 + years I can't say I even remember if the discs were an option during the conversion.