PDA

View Full Version : Trying to go fast

Jim
05-11-2008, 09:00 AM
TOMORROW'S RECORD BREAKER. RP4

TOMORROW'S RECORD BREAKER
Contributed by David Rose - La Jolla, CA

The new RP-4 aircraft shown here, is being built to attack the World 3, 15 and 100 Kilometer Speed Records.

Engines: Two high performance V-8 engines power the RP-4, representing the best compromise among size, weight, power and availability. Tandem mounted, each engine drives its own propeller. The front engine drives the front prop directly and the rear engine, through gearboxes which bypass the front engine, drives the rear prop in contra rotation. Independent fuel and cooling systems allow for single engine operation.

Propellers: Utilizing NASA Unducted Fan Technology, two four-blade propellers with variable pitch hubs were constructed. The blades consist of 84 layers of prepreg carbon fiber and are 58 inches in diameter.

Cooling: During engine warm up, thermostats cycle engine water through the oil sump heat exchanger to quickly bring engine oil to operating temperature. Once up to temperature, the thermostats then direct engine water to a series of aluminum tubes within the wing. These tubes are immersed in 50 gallons of water which carry engine heat to the wing surfaces which are cooled by the slipstream. Separate series of tubes are provided for each engine enabling autonomous cooling of either engine. Wing water can be diverted through an auxiliary radiator located in the tail cone for cooling on the ground if needed. The forced induction systems generate high inlet temperatures and induction air is directed through evaporators charged by air conditioning compressors. This system also provides conditioned air to the cockpit.

Fuel: A 100 gallon fuel cell below the wing supplies fuel to engine-driven pumps which feed the injectors.

Gear: All gear retract aft into the fuselage. The main gear articulates as it retracts holding the wheels parallel to the fuselage throughout retraction.

Wing: The RP-4 wing is one of the most complex ever constructed. Less than 3 inches at its thickest point, it nevertheless contains flaps and ailerons as well as 200 feet of tubing and nearly 400 fabricated fittings and connectors which comprise the cooling systems.

Fuselage: Built entirely of large diameter chrome moly tubing, the fuselage is skinned in 60 thousandths aluminum and is 31 inches in diameter.

Empennage: The vertical and horizontal stabilizers are, like the wing, both riveted and bonded together. The vertical stabilizer houses the nav/comm antennas as well as pitot and cockpit ventilation systems.

Performance: The RP-4 is designed to be a high performance aircraft.

Eric Hereth, master machinist, fabricator and welder, built all components of this remarkable aircraft from scratch, with the exceptions of engine long blocks, wheels, and hydraulic components.

Jerry Baer assisted in all phases of construction.

Editor: The RP-4 is the brainchild of David Rose who owns, designed, and will fly this aircraft.

d.grimm
05-11-2008, 11:34 AM
That's interesting, however it's exactly opposite of my KISS formula. (keep it simple stupid)

Steve Pierce
05-11-2008, 11:41 AM
That is an interesting design. Here is a two part article on another one of David Rose's designs for speed. I haven't heard of any of them flying. They do look interesting and I would love to hear about their actual speeds. I do know from being involved in the Unlimiteds at Reno that if he was allowed to race he would probably get killed in the turbulence behind those big props of the Unlimited Racers. I was in the back seat of a Sea Fury and we got in the prop wash of an F8F Bearcat. :shock: I'll tell you that thing had a mind of it's own. :o

http://www.barnstormers.com/eFLYER/2008 ... Rules.html (http://www.barnstormers.com/eFLYER/2008/010-eFLYER-FA01-ChangeRules.html)

http://www.barnstormers.com/eFLYER/2008 ... Rules.html (http://www.barnstormers.com/eFLYER/2008/011-eFLYER-FA01-ChangeRules.html)

Bultaco Jim
05-11-2008, 11:54 AM
That front view is exactly the view Hillbilly gets every night looking down into his now empty blender.

Hillbilly
05-11-2008, 07:13 PM
That front view is exactly the view Hillbilly gets every night looking down into his now empty blender.

Hmmph! City folk, Now what kinda durn fool would I be iffin I let the blender get empty?...its got corn in thar, mixed with sugar n yeast. from thar it goes over to the cooker and..........oh wait, this is a public forum. So anyway it winds up over in the E85 vat :mrgreen:

Curly
05-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Hillbilly,

My brother has a mate in West Australia who originally hails from Tennessee and is a moonshiner from wayback.

Grows his own special corn and makes Jack Daniels that tastes better than Jack Daniels. He also makes his own brand of "rocket fuel" (man - does that take your breath away!), makes his own black powder and uses a muzzle loader long rifle to knock over the occasional 'roo.

He is also one of the most knowledgeable people in Australia on Australian parrots and West Australian wildflowers - and real nice bloke!

Curly

Hillbilly
05-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Hillbilly,

My brother has a mate in West Australia who originally hails from Tennessee and is a moonshiner from wayback.

Grows his own special corn and makes Jack Daniels that tastes better than Jack Daniels. He also makes his own brand of "rocket fuel" (man - does that take your breath away!), makes his own black powder and uses a muzzle loader long rifle to knock over the occasional 'roo.

He is also one of the most knowledgeable people in Australia on Australian parrots and West Australian wildflowers - and real nice bloke!

Curly

I don't really make any, My grandpa was well renown for his "recipes" and he taught me how but I just don't.
As to the "rocket fuel" yes, you can set a new land speed record on a riding lawnmower if you drink that stuff...-Hillbilly

Glen Geller
05-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Interesting link to the Barnstormer article about Rose's Jet Racer.
Just read today how the NTSB determined that an L39 (or was it an L29?) got flipped and crashed in the wake of a T2 Buckeye in the Reno Jet Races a couple years back.
Rose's jet looks pretty puny compared to some of those other jet racers.

Let me relate a little story about wake turbulance...
Glen in 14P: "Hillsboro tower, Tripacer 0ne Four Papa is one mile out on final for three zero"
Tower: "One four papa, expedite for Embrauer commuter jet on four mile final"
14P: "Will do. Embrauer, caution for Tri-Pacer wake turbulance"
Pause
Embrauer: "Uh huh..."

Steve Pierce
05-14-2008, 06:39 AM
:lol: Good one Glen. ;)

Stephen
05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Bet that made your day!

On another note, I did get caught in vorticies from a Super Cub on take off, but I was close off his wing tip. It was a significant lesson for me not to do that again. The guy behind me said that I looked nearly rolled to the verticle at 30 feet AGL. There is never enough aileron in my opinion.