PDA

View Full Version : X wind training

pmanton
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Has anyone had any experience with this device?

http://www.dandyercfi.com/xwindsim/

Is it a valuable training aid or just another toy?

I will be driving up through California and am considering taking a training session.
How else could I try my hand at howling gusty crosswinds and not worry about breaking my plane. :)
Thanks

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Glen Geller
05-26-2008, 12:15 AM
"How else could I try my hand at howling gusty crosswinds and not worry about breaking my plane?"
Paul: You rent a plane & a tough old CFI at an airport with intersecting runways and learn in that. A 172 is pretty close to a PA22 and should provide a 90% similar experience. just be sure to take out renter's insurance during the training.
The Xwind 200 (sounds like something Luke Skywalker used to fly, shooting womprats back in Beggar's Canyon) might be useful but I'd rather log dual, maybe as part of a BFR, and when your butt is in the sling for real you will make a greater effort and really learn the techniques. If the rented plane does get bent, the CFI is PIC and the insurance company owns the plane.
May the Force be with you.

Stephen
05-26-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm curious about max. x-wind component other Pacer pilots consider safe.

Bultaco Jim
05-26-2008, 12:13 PM
I landed in 18 to 20K direct cross-wind at Los Banos one day. They have an ATIS there and I thought I could just set it up and cancel at very short final, if it wasn't comfortable. Well, it wasn't comfortable, but it was working- so I finished it up. There was a guy with an RV-6 waiting there for a few of his buddys, (he'd been there since early), and when they came in , two of them tried to land, but couldn't get it done. They had to fly away, and he was pissed, big-time! So, my instructor was right - a short high wing plane wins that contest!
My answer to the question - 20 k for sure.

Steve Pierce
05-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Looks interesting and fun to me. You can be the guinea pig and let u know if it was worth it. :lol: Talk him into giving you a discount in turn for you writing an article on your experience. ;)

06-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Southern Arizona gets lots of gusty conditions so I get lots of crosswind experience. I have landed my PA/22 150 in an honest 26-28 knot crosswind. I did open the door to check if I had run the tire off the rim when I made the taxi way. I also crawled underneath the old girl when I got parked to do a close inspection of the gear. I wouldn't recommend doing this on a regular basis but these are some rugged aircraft. I wouldn't recommend trying that in a tailwheel.

I did my private training in July and August in Arizona during the Monsoon season complete with 1000 foot walls of dust and afternoon thermals coming off the desert hills. I would say difficult conditions improve your skill set if you are willing to accept the risk.

Curly
06-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Where I learnt to fly there was always a crosswind so crosswinds are almost second nature.

However taxying a Tripacer in a strong crosswind is fraught with danger. The wings are set fairly high, the ailerons are relatively small and the wing itself is short (meaning the "leverage" is reduced in comparison to say a C...... "wash your mouth out with soap boy!").
So what happens when taxying in a strong crosswind and a stronger gust comes through? It can pick up your up wind wing (despite full aileron) pivot around the opposite wing tip, onto the spinner and prop and then onto your back!!! Then you crawl out - look at the damage and cry!

It's not a pleasant experience, so if you must taxy in a strong cross wind be vewwy vewwy careful.

Curly

Stephen
06-04-2008, 09:39 AM
One of the best reasons for those "ugly" drooped tips is taxing in X-winds. I found that they kept the wing down.