PDA

View Full Version : cowl pads

Bayport Piper
05-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I've been looking for a vinyl quilted cowl pad for my Pacer, but can't come across any of the vinyl diamond quilted types. This is the pad that gets placed atop the dash bulkhead below the windshield. If anyone knows where I can find them I'd appreciate it.

Glen Geller
05-27-2008, 02:42 PM
BP, I assume you are talking about a pad to go over the glareshield.
I don't know about those quilted pads, but I found a great product at the local variety store for the glareshield. It's a rubberized open-weave fabric that is meant for use as a kitchen shelf liner or in tool chest drawers, it's very non-slip and easy to cut with a scissors. Comes in a roll ~24" wide by 72" long, enough for two aircraft and less than $10. Fred Meyer/Kroger, Target, Sears, Ace, Tru-Value etc all have this.
Make a template from craft paper to fit over your glare shield, then cut the material to fit, maybe slightly oversize so you can make adjustments.
If you have a GPS and compass up there you'll need to re-mount them or cut holes in the mat'l. Great for concealing the GPS cables (which I tucked into the ashtray hole.)
It's somewhat stretchy so you can use a flat tool like a butterknife to tuck it into the edges.
You can put your Flightguide, sunglass case, martini shaker etc up there and they won't slip around. Comes in a variety of colors, I chose black but they are all 'flat' finish so not much glare even from a red or blue.

Bultaco Jim
05-27-2008, 09:26 PM
The key to deciphering this or any of Glen's posts are the words "Martini Shaker"...........Just trying to be helpful.

Glen Geller
05-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Jim, you would be much more helpful if you were to provide a martini shaker that contained an actual martini - shaken, not stirred.
I propose a discussion of vodka, my current favoite is Kettel One, very nice indeed, and there's a new small-batch distillery, Lovejoy Vodka http://www.integrityspirits.com/lovejoy-vodka.html that makes some very interesting spirits.
Hey, we like to celebrate after each victory over gravity!

Bultaco Jim
05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Glen ,you're becoming a bad influence on me. Now I have to make a special trip to the L. store; as soon as I find my muzzle.