PDA

View Full Version : Stretched out short wings

Stephen
06-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Bushangel, I asked the question on why you are planning to stretch you fuselage.

Personally, I'm sticking with a stock fuselage on my plane when I slightly extend the wings. I plan to extend the wings similar to X-winds mod, which should add about 20 inches to the span and increase the wing area. I like the stock fuselage because I get to have a more exciting landin, besides the fact that I've been teasing my local Supercub guys on how anyone could land one their planes. Also, keeping weight down is important for performance.

The Producer is another direction to go, I would love to hear it's performance figures.

BatPacer
06-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I think the short answer to this question is that increasing the wing area also increases the adverse yaw in a turn. A balance of forces would point toward needing that additional moment arm on the rudder to counteract. I suppose it depends how much the wings are extended whether or not lengthening the fuselage is necessary. Personally, I would like to try Wayne Mackey's slats on a squared off Pacer wing. Bet that would get the stall speed way down and still preserve the cruise (Wayne claims a 1% reduction). Also, the original weight and balance are kept essentially the same. I think that is what a lot of folks struggle with when they stretch the fuselage. TCOW is selling the slat kit for "any Piper wing" for $4 grand. I saw the SQ2 at Valdez and it was really, really impressive!

Paul

Stephen
06-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Locally, Denny Martel is flying a Wayne Mackey modified Pacer with a 31 foot wing span. This is more than squared off, they spliced and extended the spars and then added the tips.

I think X-winds squares off the ends of the wings out to the length of the rear spar and adds the tip at that point, I would guess that it has a wing span that is about the same as original, 29' 3".

I checked with Turbine Cubs and they do not have anything for certified planes, but they do build extended wings for experimental Pacers.

Dakota Cub has an experimental cub with wing slots, but there is a weight gain for this and I'm not sure there is much change in the STOL performance.

How was Valdez? I saw on video, that my friend Jerry Burr, got his cub off in 39 feet, not bad for 100hp. I did not find results of the competition.