PDA

View Full Version : windows

sbjmobil
06-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Great Lakes Aero Prod's offer windows in .080 & .125 , What was original or why use the thicker ? Same goes for the windshield's .125, .150, .187 ? I need to order windows and windshield. Don't understand.

Thanks

Sbjmobil

Jim
06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi Sbjmobil,

Back in about 82 or so I replaced my windshield with one that was then available that's a quarter inch thick. It was a little tight getting it installed in the glare shield channel, but not so that I wouldn't do it again. The thicker one wouldn't slip in as the old one did, had to remove all the screws and nuts all the way across the bottom and replace them after fitting the new plexi.

I went with the thick one because of all the seagulls that share the skies here along the coast in Michigan.

The thicker will also tone down the noise a little, or so I've heard. Before you buy the flat stuff from an airplane supplier, check around your neighborhood and you'll probably find the stuff a lot cheaper locally. Use a bandsaw and sand the edges slick and you'll be good to go. If you're needing to drill holes in the stuff use a negative rake bit, a masonry bit, or run one backwards to melt through the stuff. Do some testing before risking the high ticket items. A regualr bit will screw itself in and probably break your project.

Steve Pierce
06-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I have heard of using the thicker windshield for noise in a spam can. Never thought about bird strikes. I use a Uni-bit to drill Lexan and Plexiglass. It works well but don't push. :oops:

Stephen
06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I chose the thicker windshield because of the excessive eagle population here is the NW. Too many planes have had "mid-airs" with these "heavy fowl" in our neighborhood. But it was a P.I.T.A. to install.