PDA

View Full Version : Clipper Question

Billy
08-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Hello im new here . I just bought a clipper project.can someone tell me where the data plate is located?and what does it looks like?the plane is complete but taken apart with fabric removed.so i will be asking alot of questions of all the experts fromm time to time.thx.Billy

Steve Pierce
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Welcome Billy. I have a Clipper project also. Piper put the data tag on the Clipper on the tubing behind the jackscrew in the tail. There is a piece of welding rod tacked there with ears bent over to hold the tag. The elevator bungee pulley is just forward of it. I will figure out where I hid my data tag :oops: and post a picture of it and the location.

Gilbert Pierce
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Here is a picuture of a blank Clipper data tag.

Billy
08-05-2008, 09:12 PM
if i cant find the data tag.what kind of issues will i have?

Hillbilly
08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Serious ones, that data plate is very important. One of these guys that has milked that cow can fill you in but without it you have a bunch of stuff shaped like an airplane. If it were me, I'd go to the guy you got it from and find out what happened to it or request a refund.

Steve Pierce
08-05-2008, 09:41 PM
You can get a new data tag from Piper for $400 plus a letter from the FAA.

Billy
08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
PM RECIEVED

Hillbilly
08-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Wow Steve, looks like I owe Billy an apology, When I had trouble locating my own I was under the impression it was near irreplaceable. I had no idea it was that cut and dried (albeit expensive). Billy, If anyone knows Mr Pierce does. I apologize for any alarm I may have inspired, Yes sometimes even I speak out of turn. Good luck. - Hillbilly

Billy
08-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Hillbilly no apology required.Steve thanks for that info.How do i go about getting a letter fromthe FAA?

Steve Pierce
08-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Here is a link to the document with instructions from Piper.
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/showp ... ig&cat=760 (http://www.supercub.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8702&size=big&cat=760)

smcnutt
08-07-2008, 09:30 AM
On our first annual after we bought our plane the nice man from the FAA (We're here to help) said our engine data tag was incomplete and had to be replaced. Apparently it had left the factory decades before with the serial number on it but no model number but would not be airworthy until this major mechanical defect was corrected. This required letters sent back and forth between us, Lycoming and the FAA for a few weeks to get the ducks in a row but Lycoming finally said no big deal ($125 included overnight shipping) that they would send us a new one. We figured that would be the end of that. Never think you've reached the end with the FAA

The nice FAA man was now perplexed as to how to dispose of the original data tag and he needed to research that before we could proceed. Hours, days weeks passed by. We thought simply cutting the original in half and throwing it away would be reasonable but we all know reason has nothing to do with a bureaucracy. I think he was in the process of requesting the design specifications and procurement contracts to build one FAA approved multi-million dollar data tag destructo device (1 each) when the people from Lycoming said simply send it to us and we will throw it away. I know we were relieved to no end but I also think the FAA man was glad to be rid of this problem as well.

One of many lessons learned, if your data tag is in need of replacement - "loose" the original. The paperwork for a lost data tag is much easier. In our case we were ready to call the nice FAA man several weeks into the process (after we learned the above lesson) and tell him that in all of the shuffle we had stupidly lost the tag that was in our hand.

In the end we finally reached the required 10+ lbs of paperwork (with many more "fun" adventures) that the FAA believes is an aerodynamic requirement to make an airplane actually take flight.

Bultaco Jim
08-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Multiply that by 1500 bureaucracies and then wonder how we stay afloat.

Billy
08-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I would like to thank everyone for thier input.I am hopeful we will find the data plate among the boxes of parts.If not ill figure something out.Billy