PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oddities - Not Sure what to do now

ceweaver
09-02-2008, 09:13 PM
I wish I didn't have so many questions for the group (by the way, I'll be joining shortly), but my Tri-Pacer isn't cooperating. Here's what we've (my IA and I) have been experiencing and what we've done:

- Flew with my kids about 4 weeks ago and we went up to 5500 feet and as I pulled power from ~2450rpm to ~2350 the engine began to run rough and lose power: 1) pulled carb heat and dropped to ~1900 - thought carb ice, but didn't get increase in RPM like expected. 2) Full power, less than 2500, and smoothed out. This happened a couple more times

- 2 weeks later (Disney and a cold) I mentioned the above to IA and we test flew it. At 2500 feet and 2400rpm we pulled power back to 2300 and it ran rough. Pulled carb heat and had substantial drop (400rpm). Full power, still 2450, and leaned the engine and got almost a 200 rpm increase. We pulled carb heat at 2300 and got the drop to 1900 and then leaned it and it took it back to 2300. Did a mag check too and had almost 200 rpm drop at 2400 on the right, but only about 125 on the left.

IA hoped it was a primer issue causing it to run rich, but thought it might be a plug breaking down under load. We pulled plugs and they looked good, but changed with an older set I had anyway. Flew and same thing. Then pulled primer and plugged it off. Same thing again.

Figure it's now the 20+ year old accelerator pump so we ordered a carb from Spruce (hence all the carb questions I was asking earlier). Got it put on today and flew it around the pattern once and still got about a 125rpm increase in RPM on downwind. I didn't get as much testing done as I wanted because I was more concerned about making it around the patch...plus was running out of daylight. I have a bad feeling that nothing has changed, but we're going to test fly tomorrow too and do the other test that I did before the change. One other thing is I'm getting just under a 200 rpm drop during my runup on the right mag and about between 125 and 150 on the left.

I think that's all that we've done. It sure seems like it is running rich, but the plugs all look really good according to IA.

Any ideas? :?

Thanks!

halestorm
09-02-2008, 09:30 PM
What's the story with your magnetos? I get suspicious of slicks with more than 500 hours on them. Have you tried ohming out your spark plugs? I once spent many of a good customers dollars chasing a fuel problem that turned out to be an ignition problem, good to keep an open mind.

-Sam

Steve Pierce
09-03-2008, 06:48 AM
What mags do you have and how much time. Also do you have access to a spark plug tester?

ceweaver
09-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Steve and Sam,

The mags are Bendix s4ln-21 and -20. Replaced coil in right mag ~375 hours ago (14 years). Replaced points, condenser, rotor, and block in both ~375 hours ago. They were timed properly last annual which was in July (about 20 hours ago). My IA has a Champion Spark Plug tester and the plugs tested fine. Haven't omhed them out, but will mention to IA tomorrow. We did change all 8 out plugs with plugs removed from my last plane (they weren't bad, just starting to show wear...changed 4/year). Harness is old and looks bad so I'm buying a new one tomorrow. If that doesn't work my IA has some slick mags we'll use (if he has a harness too).

The carb did help. I got 2300 on climb out and also noticed that when I applied power on takeoff, the plane did not bog down (did before even counting to 5 and slowly applying...if last 1" - 2" was quickly pushed in).

Didn't get to fly today, replacing exhaust stud and also the diaphragm, gasket and plug in master cylinder. Plan to fly tomorrow before the hurricane gets here this weekend. Will do more tests on the carb then.

Would the ignition cause problems that mimic a fuel problem (running rich) because of the reduced spark?

Thanks and y'all have a great evening.

Chad

Jason Gerard
09-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Use an ohm meter to check resistance of you spark plugs. If they are over 5000 ohm's or so high that it shows no continuity throw them away. Both the spark plug tester and a magneto will still throw a spark across a worn out plug but it's real week and the increased resistance accelerates wear on the mag components and ignition leads. Lately we have been finding the Unison plugs to be better than Champion. You may have to run the tip of the plug accross the wire wheel on your bench grinder to clean it off enough for good contact with the ohm meter.

Jason