PDA

View Full Version : EGT Probe Location and Myth Busting

Kurts
09-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm getting ready to install an EGT probe in my Colt and the instructions say to put the probe in the exhaust stack of the hottest cylinder. Anyone have any concrete information on which cylinder that is on an 0-235C1? I'm thinking right rear (is that #4?)

Also, I received an interesting phone call from a guy who claimed to have been interested in buying this airplane before I did. He said there was no record in the engine logs of any valve adjustments ever having been done, ever. This is true, there are no entries that say this was ever done. I asked a good friend who's an A&P IA about this and he said that's because this engine has hydraulic lifters and doesn't need valve adjustments. However, a thread on here says they have solid lifters. Ok, who is correct?

Thanks!

Kurt

Steve Pierce
09-08-2008, 06:37 AM
O-235-C1 engines do not have hydraulic lifters. Different people have different data n the hottest cylinder but about all you will be doing is trend monitoring.

Gilbert Pierce
09-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Have your IA read this Service Instruction SI-1068. Tappets should be adjusted every 100 hours.

Kurts
09-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks, I got that SI from Lycoming a few days ago. Live and learn!

Kurt

Have your IA read this Service Instruction SI-1068. Tappets should be adjusted every 100 hours.

Gilbert Pierce
10-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Here is Lycoming SI-1388c