PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems, again!

azevedoflyer
09-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Guys, Galls and Wizards out there,
About 18 months ago I run into hair-pulling electrical problems that flumoxed in succession my A&P, an electronics wizard, a quintessential tinkerer and a U of M professor!
After all retreated from battle ground to lick their wounded pride, I had no other besides me to solve the problem. It turned out to be 2 shorts in the harness to the generator. New harness, rebuilt gen and all was well till a month ago when, without any warning and after an uneventfull flight, no more electrical power! This got me sick!
Ordered a PlanePower alternator conversion kit from Chief Aircraft only to find that it does not fit (my plane has the old front oil cooler). Meanwhile, found the field wire to the old gen loose. Hum. Got it back today and you guessed: no power. I ws going to return the conversion kit but decided to consult the brotherhood first. Is it a big deal to install a new oil cooler at the rear bulkhead of the baffle?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Miguel Azevedo
PA 22/20-150
N8714D :cry:

Frank Green
09-23-2008, 06:52 AM
Check on Andy Andersons web site for info on Homers installation of a Denso alternator on a Tri with the front oil cooler. I used it on my project and was able to fit it with the front oil cooler.

azevedoflyer
09-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Frank,
Thanks!
Looks really good!
Maybe I can dot he same with the ginormous PlanePower alternator.
Will check.
Miguel