PDA

View Full Version : Toe brake options

jetech
10-03-2008, 08:05 PM
What are the best options for adding toe brakes? I sent an email to Pete's Precision Welding and am waiting for a reply.

Are the stock brakes good enough or should something be used to boost their pressure with a toe brake system, is it necessary to add disc brakes with this mod?

I like the idea of adding disk brakes but if the stock brakes can be made better and the additional cost of adding disc's can be avoided I think I rather go with that option.

I am trying to compile a list of popular mods for consideration. We removed most of the fabric from the fuselage today and were surprised with the good condition of the frame. It won't be long before all modifications that require welding to the frame will have to be complete since the plan is to have the plane ready to fly by Spring.

jay heil
10-04-2008, 07:33 PM
What are the best options for adding toe brakes? I sent an email to Pete's Precision Welding and am waiting for a reply.-----------
if you are staying with a nose wheel I think these are the only game in town that is stc'd if your going tail wheel there is other options

Are the stock brakes good enough or should something be used to boost their pressure with a toe brake system,------the toe brakes will be self boosting as you now will have a seperate and modern master cyinder for each wheel and you will more than double your pressure

is it necessary to add disc brakes with this mod?----------------no

I like the idea of adding disk brakes but if the stock brakes can be made better and the additional cost of adding disc's can be avoided I think I rather go with that option. ----------------------if you want to save even more you dont have to put toe brakes in either , I put a north river brake booster in my tripacer and it has all the stopping power i ever need if your not going 50 mph you can lock up the tires if you pull hard enough but with this booster alot of people were complaining about having to add fluid quite often as it only took a few drops of fluid loss and the brakes were gone or almost gone but now steves aircraft has another booster that probably shouldnt have that problem but will also have plenty of stopping power

http://www.stevesaircraft.com/vbrake.php

jetech
10-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Jay
Thanks for the information. I am glad to hear that I can keep the stock brakes but improve the system. I will take a look at the booster.