PDA

View Full Version : Steve's Aircraft Vented Brake Installation

Steve Pierce
10-29-2008, 06:57 PM
We replaced a North River brake booster with a Steve's Aircraft vented brake booster on CraigH's Colt recently. Craig had a Tri-Pacer several years ago with the North River Booster and Cleveland double puck brakes which gave us fits. When it was cold in the morning the brakes were fine and then in the afternoon when it warmed up you had to take out some fluid, then add it when it was cold again. A royal pain with a high pressure sealed brake system. Steve's system is vented with a reservoir which eliminates the expansion and contraction problems thus the decision to install it in Craig's Colt.

Here is the North River booster installed before removal.

The booster removed.

When Steve's brake booster was fit to the Scott frame there was a clearance issue with one of the carry through tubes under the seat. A quick call to Steve and we found out this is not uncommon. Seems Piper wasn't real consistent on where the holes were drilled. On Steve's advice we installed the outboard aft screw into the nut plate that is under the floor. We then removed the left landing gear fairing and using a chisel we removed the other three nut plates. We then drilled our holes which really only opened the edge of the existing holes and installed the screws with nuts on the bottom side. Makes it a two man job but very doable.
Here is a picture of the nutplates with the gear fairing removed.

We then assembled the booster on the Scott frame and installed an AN823-4D 45 degree elbow (not supplied) in the side of Steve's booster and a 45 degree hose barb fitting (supplied) in the top.

Once the fittings are installed the whole assembly can be installed in the airplane.

Then the reservoir is installed with an Adel clamp (supplied) and a piece of 1/4" vinyl tubing (not supplied) is installed between the reservoir and the booster. The brakes are bled and the paperwork done and you are ready for consistantly good brakes.

craigh
10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Nice job Steve. Thanks!

marcooti
04-11-2017, 01:33 PM
I'm about to purchase Steves Aircraft vented booster brake modification STC SA01516SE for a Colt. Has anyone had a good/bad experience with this STC? Is it easy to install with drum brakes? Does it make a big difference in braking ability? Thanks-Ed Marcotte

Bob.shea
04-11-2017, 08:38 PM
never used it personally. it been told to me that it is a lot better than the stock unit. Please let us know how it works out for you. I would like to replace my stock unit.

RobertC
04-12-2017, 12:04 AM
I installed a Steves master cylinder in my tripacer and it helped tremendously with the drum brakes. I haven't had to remove the seat once since I replaced it, it used to be a regular occirance. I changed out the drum brakes for Cleavland's and that made the best improvement.

marcooti
04-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Thank you all for the info!!

Glen Geller
04-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Three of my flying comrades have the Steve's Vented Brake Booster on their Tri-Pacers, two with disk brakes and one with original drums, and all are very happy with it.
You will quickly learn to aply brakes with two fingers instead of reefing on the Johnson bar. Surprisingly easy to lock up the wheels and possibly damage the tires!
If you fly a lot of short field landings or have a short rollout to taxiway A then this is a good investment.
The Steve's booster is much better I think than the North River brake booster. I had the NRBB on my PA22 with drum brakes and it was always needing adjustment.
When I installed Bendix disk brakes I went back to the original (rebuilt) Scott M/C and braking action is very adequate.
My particular calipers were not compatible with the Steve's booster (calipers limited to 1000 psi, the booster is much higher than that.) Check the specs for your brake components and the booster before you spend your money.

Glen

marcooti
05-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Sorry for the delay folks. We just completed the installation of the vented booster brake mod. stc. Initially we had a clearance issue with one of the carry through tubes under the seat. By removing the 2 spacers under the original unit, the new unit fits well. The reservoir was attached to the carry through tubes, making sure it was low enough to clear the front trim of the pilot's seat. Now its very easy to add fluid without taking out the seat. We then added fluid and bled the brakes and parking brake multiple times. Both drums had to be readjusted. Now the Johnson bar only needs a slight pull from the vertical -1 inch for the brakes to apply. The brakes now hold fine at full static rpm. Very pleased and well worth the money.

Coltasaurus
08-30-2023, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the pics!