PDA

View Full Version : Marker beacon antenna location

Jetfever
11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey! Where is the best place to mount a marker antenna? 8" or so boat shape.

I have all antennas on the belly:

1 com on forward aluminum belly, behind exhaust, along with X ponder, 1 com antenna on aft aluminum "belly pan" along with the "upright" ELT which is not visible with the pan mounted.

GPS antenna is on top metal wing to fuse fairing where I have seen many comm antennas mounted.

Thanks, Steve

SuperPacer
11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Steve,

My installation includes Comm 1 on the rear belly access cover (AKA the "Hell Hole"), Comm 2 up front between the gear and the Marker Beacon antenna is ajacent to the Comm 2 on the belly pan. It has always worked OK in this position.

I have included a photo that shows the installation

Enjoy the day,

John

Jetfever
11-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info and photo, John!

I was thinking of placing the marker antenna there, Glad to hear it does not interfere with your comm #2.

I also have the Xponder antenna on this part so it might get crowded, hope it all works when we are done.

On close inspection of your photo, I think you have the transponder there as well!!!

No, I see the Xponder off to the side, there is something else in the photo, near my xponder place. I might move my Xponder over like yours if it is not too difficult to access, and use the same spot for the marker, or just place my marker on the other side.

What is the easiest way to get access to this forward belly panel now that the plane is finished?

Steve

Glen Geller
11-24-2008, 06:03 PM
John, I am totally impressed by the 'engine turning' finish of your firewall. The classic example of this is the cowling on "The Spirit of St Louis", I have read the reason this is done is to hide sheet metal imperfections without the added weight of paint.
On your firewall I'm sure it is just because you are one cool dude.

Steve Pierce
11-24-2008, 10:25 PM
I see a hinge for a cowl flap too.

SuperPacer
11-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Hello All,

I posted a second photo, that shows the "something else in the photo" is the Cowl Flap vernier control. This aircraft was converted back in the early 80's to convential gear and they did the engine turning job on the firewall, It is stainless sheet and they spent a good while spinnig the pattern into the sheet mnaterial. The Cowl Flap was also installed back then, and I have duplicated it on this new cowl as well. In use, the Cowl Flap works well, adding cooling during climb, and then more streamlined when closed in cruse. It also always provides great "discussions" at nearly any fly-in / gathering of Short Wings.

As for access to the "Belly Panels", somwhat depends on the configuration of your plane. On mine, the forward center panel had nut serts installed on the forward edge (where it attaches to the firewall) so it is removable, and then the lower edge of the Boot Cowl is accessable (in my case, my transponder antenna is located there).

When I get the cooling baffels and the latches installed, I post the series fo cowl fabrication photos in the firewall forward area of the site.

Enjoy the day,

John