PDA

View Full Version : O-320's

joewcasey
11-24-2008, 10:34 PM
I was perusing the "Firewall Forward" pics (a lot of beautiful work in those photos) and I noticed a Pacer with an 320E2D hung on the front. I know the STC mentions various 320A's and B's, so I was wondering what it would take to hang the "E" on the plane? Along those lines, what would be the advantage of an "E" over an "A" or "B?" Thanks.

Jim
11-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Joe,

That's my Pacer with the E2D installed. When I screwed up my 0290 with a ground strike a hangar neighbor of mine suggested I replace it with a 320E2D that he just happened to have. Not knowing any better I went ahead with getting the 320 rebuilt thinking I'd just find me a dynafocal mount from an old shortwing, after all there's a picture of one of them in our catalogs.

Well, half away through the rebuild I found out the mount pictured in the parts book isn't a dynafocal, it's a beefed up conical mount that Piper evidently used in their seaplane and controllable prop optioned planes. At least that's what Univair told me when I finally turned to them searching for a mount.

Piper never used a dynafocal mounted engine in any of the shortwings.

I had the STC from Wag-Aero for installing a 320, and I'd found out Univair made a dynafocal mount for their O360 180 HP STC. Univair sold me one of their mounts so I went ahead and started the install with what I'd gathered. I went to the Feds and told them what I had and what I wanted to do and a year later they signed off on all of it with a field approval.

I wouldn't suggest going with the E2D as it was a can of worms. The carb is 3" farther forward meaning new tin work under the cowl. The carb heat box needed rebuilding, new throttle and mixture cables, Had to build a new generator mount as the E2D engine case has a different bolt pattern on the front underside. New baffling that isn't much like anything you already have.The old exhaust and muffler worked really well, except for the down pipe which needed a little relocating. There were several other items that also needed attention too, the hard oil lines for one where they mount on the rear of the engine. I also have two veratherms too, one without any guts in it, and the list goes on........

Is the E2D worth the effort? I don't see how it could be, unless you're into unique.

joewcasey
11-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow! That's a story. When I came across your photo, it did intrique me, and while I like to stand out from the crowd, I really wouldn't like to go quite that far. :) Right now my 290 seems to be holding together pretty well after I had it re-ringed and honed, but I am starting to plan for a possible 320 conversion. I'm thinking of just going the 320B way, although I still have yet to figure out how/where to get one, if it can be mounted on my 22-135, etc. Thanks for the input.
Joe